Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #61
Target
Red Dragon

IT just shuts down, I was just fighting something and 'poof' it was as if the plug had been pulled.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #62
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Does the whole PC shut down or does GW just boot you back to windows?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #63
Target
Red Dragon

The whole thing shut down. That's why I wondered if it was the power supply. I have something called hardwear doctor (I think) and it was telling me my -5v (I think will double check tonight) was setting it's alarm off.
The last time I had GW running I also had this web page opened and the hardwear docoter beeped and returned me to the desktop, GW was still running so I clicked on it and carried on.
Does that make sense?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #64
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Not really [img]smile.gif[/img] Doubt it would be your PSU. Post your full specs firstly if you know how to. This way we can check for potential hardware problems and see if your system meets the requirements.

Check what is running in the taskbar, make sure you have updated your drivers etc. Disable firewalls and virus scanners for testing purposes (GW uses streaming technology and sometimes these can hinder them).

What other recent games have you played on this system?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #65
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Its probably a heating issue. GW can run hard on some machines so post your specs and we can check it out.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #66
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Seperate post to update on my previous GW questions.

So, I finally got to Lions Arch by doing the quests. Yes, I gritted my teeth and fancied that I saw my last devourer, then the story started to at least get interesting. My problem is I think I am too low level to be here. I am level 13 now and got here by running the primary missions etc. They weren't too hard and I used henchman only. But when I do quests here I am faced with level 24 warlocks on the road that pwn me something ugly. What to do? It's not like I didn't get to LA legit, the game took me here!

People I ask don't believe me, they say I was "run" here and act like I shouldn't be here. I wasn't run here because I didn't want to ruin it and even if I did, I wouldn't pay the +3k people were spamming in my face over and over. Why do people wanna be run to LA anyways there isn't anything here that is different? - or is it the festive stuff they want?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #67
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You haven't yet seen the last devourer.
And I've no idea what level 24 Warlocks you're talking about near Lion's Arch.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #68
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I know that I've got a lot of insta-reboot/lockup issues when my power supply isn't up to scratch. So it may be worth considering upgrading, it certainly couldn't hurt, and it's not the most expensive of components.

As for GW taking enough power to overheat your computer, you could always try adjusting the settings down and seeing what it does. The game actually looks surprisingly good even on low/minimum settings.

On the original subject of the thread...

I'd say that Prophecies serves as a pretty good tutorial and intro to GW, since it ramps up the difficulty more slowly than Factions and Nightfall. The lack of very good henches and heroes also encourages joining groups and guilds often. You just have to take the storyline for what it is: "B-game" schlock. It's basically a cliché "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONES!"-storyline from some bad fantasy movie/novel. Just get some friends together and laugh at it, especially when the cutscenes screw up.

Factions is much more polished, the voice acting is still rather sub-par, but the plot holds together much better, the game is FAR more challenging and I feel that some of the visuals are more impressive. It's also where they start making the countryside sensible. Having villages, guards, merchants and such.

Nightfall really improves on the "living countryside" aspect and the story is much better(Still need to hire some actual voice actors instead of paying random people off the street, though.). But it does have it's downsides. Since the appearance of heroes, no one ever does random groups in Nightfall except for missions. On the other hand, considering how dumb Pick Up Groups(PUGs) often are, I can't say I really miss having to group with some monk who tells us he doesn't have any healing just as we hit the first fight. The only thing that really annoys the hell out of me about Nightfall, though, is that there are no damn skill quests. Seriously, maybe they all start once you get off Istan and some distance into the mainland, but I didn't have the patience for that, I brought in my Prophecies monk almost as soon as I finished Istan with my Nightfall monk. I think it's a bit damaging. They also miscalculated a few things, because about the point where I hit the max-stat armor AND constant level 20 enemies, I would never have actually had the money for it at that point if I didn't have a lot of money and crafting materials on my main character.

At any rate, that's my opinion of the three.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #69
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
I know that I've got a lot of insta-reboot/lockup issues when my power supply isn't up to scratch. So it may be worth considering upgrading, it certainly couldn't hurt, and it's not the most expensive of components.

As for GW taking enough power to overheat your computer, you could always try adjusting the settings down and seeing what it does. The game actually looks surprisingly good even on low/minimum settings.

On the original subject of the thread...

I'd say that Prophecies serves as a pretty good tutorial and intro to GW, since it ramps up the difficulty more slowly than Factions and Nightfall. The lack of very good henches and heroes also encourages joining groups and guilds often. You just have to take the storyline for what it is: "B-game" schlock. It's basically a cliché "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONES!"-storyline from some bad fantasy movie/novel. Just get some friends together and laugh at it, especially when the cutscenes screw up.

Factions is much more polished, the voice acting is still rather sub-par, but the plot holds together much better, the game is FAR more challenging and I feel that some of the visuals are more impressive. It's also where they start making the countryside sensible. Having villages, guards, merchants and such.

Nightfall really improves on the "living countryside" aspect and the story is much better(Still need to hire some actual voice actors instead of paying random people off the street, though.). But it does have it's downsides. Since the appearance of heroes, no one ever does random groups in Nightfall except for missions. On the other hand, considering how dumb Pick Up Groups(PUGs) often are, I can't say I really miss having to group with some monk who tells us he doesn't have any healing just as we hit the first fight. The only thing that really annoys the hell out of me about Nightfall, though, is that there are no damn skill quests. Seriously, maybe they all start once you get off Istan and some distance into the mainland, but I didn't have the patience for that, I brought in my Prophecies monk almost as soon as I finished Istan with my Nightfall monk. I think it's a bit damaging. They also miscalculated a few things, because about the point where I hit the max-stat armor AND constant level 20 enemies, I would never have actually had the money for it at that point if I didn't have a lot of money and crafting materials on my main character.

At any rate, that's my opinion of the three.
Totally agree about Prophecies, lol. The cutscenes point is so true, they're always screwy and cliche, same with the story (I was smiling evilly when the prince was killed off and didn't look back when he told me to go on without him). The henchmen too are absolutely retarded. That stupid healer needs to be fed to the devourers next. All these are the reasons I couldn't play Prophecies but since I picked up Nightfall a month ago, I vowed to get through it just to see it through and before I finish the other chapters.

I agree, Factions is far, far superior and alot more streamlined, I said it here on these forums the day I installed it. I noticed the difference immediately in the tutorial - they learned and changed alot on the second time 'round. I haven't touched Nightfall yet (still working on my Prophecies Warrior for the last year, and my Factions Assassin for the last few months) but I have heard only great things of the third chapter. I can't gripe too much about the voice acting etc. because I remind myself that this is a free game to play online.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #70
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Agreed, considering what you're paying, you're getting amazing amounts.

I may as well admit that, even split over the three chapters, I've never spent as much time playing Guild Wars as I have any other game.

Something that really improves Prophecies is actually getting Nightfall, then taking your Prophecies characters to get some Heroes. Being able to set up your own, less retarded, Monk, does WONDERS, let me tell you that, WONDERS, for the game.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote