Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM   #41
Target
Red Dragon

Great [img]smile.gif[/img]
still not sure what to play first, I'm thinking of magic, when I've played other games (NWN for example) I've always gone for a fighter oriented person. So I want to try something different.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #42
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

There will be downloads after you load in the content discs (assuming you got a hard copy of the game). Depending on your connection, it'll take a few minutes to several.

With factions, you'll have the professions I mentioned earlier plus Ritualist and Assassin.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #43
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Okay so for example, can one bring their Prophecies character to Cantha and then start doing the quests there and stuff with no problems? Same with Nightfall from Cantha? From what I read you need to wait until certain quests open up to access the ports that let you travel between continents. But the other details were sketchy. At what level do these quests open up and is there any way to "skip ahead"? I like my Prophecies warrior but that campaign is so boring and ugly to me. It would be a blessing if I could take him to Cantha at level 10. Would it mess up my char somehow to leave all that stuff behind or no?

Also, why can't I apply ruins I buy for my assassin? They say "assassin" on 'em. No matter what I buy it never wants to "apply" to my armor. Yet, I can salvage ruins from items and they apply no problem.

Oh, and gold items always seem to have a penalty. This confuses me because they are almost like cursed items, but are supposedly better than purples. Is it always a good idea to sell purples in trade channels? I haven't really the time so usually vendor them but they are worth crap to vendors.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #44
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You have one chapter. You can do anything with that one chapter.
You have two chapters. You can move your characters from your previous chapter to the new chapter, as well as make new characters in the new chapter and move them to the first chapter.
Quests are not level based. In Prophecies you could skip ahead, that has been lessened in Factions and further lessened in Nightfall. Play along, it's not like it takes you months to complete a part.
I've no idea why you can't apply runes. Maybe you're not a primary assassin? You can only apply runes of a class to that class' armor, and you can only wear primary class armor.
Some weapons are better than others, based on the mods. A sword with 15% extra damage but -5 energy is better than a sword with 15% extra damage if you have more than 50% health because it will always function as intended. But some builds rely on energy, and for those a 15^50 weapon(that's the abbreviation) is better.
I can't tell you what to sell to merchants and what to sell to players, you'll have to fgure out the quality goods for yourself.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #45
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Okay so for example, can one bring their Prophecies character to Cantha and then start doing the quests there and stuff with no problems? Same with Nightfall from Cantha? From what I read you need to wait until certain quests open up to access the ports that let you travel between continents. But the other details were sketchy. At what level do these quests open up and is there any way to "skip ahead"? I like my Prophecies warrior but that campaign is so boring and ugly to me. It would be a blessing if I could take him to Cantha at level 10. Would it mess up my char somehow to leave all that stuff behind or no?

Also, why can't I apply ruins I buy for my assassin? They say "assassin" on 'em. No matter what I buy it never wants to "apply" to my armor. Yet, I can salvage ruins from items and they apply no problem.

Oh, and gold items always seem to have a penalty. This confuses me because they are almost like cursed items, but are supposedly better than purples. Is it always a good idea to sell purples in trade channels? I haven't really the time so usually vendor them but they are worth crap to vendors.
You just need to get to the port town of that continent and do a short quest to be able to take the boat. In Prophecy the town in question is Lionarch, in Faction it's Kaineng center. If you have some help you could do it at level 1. Of course I'm not too sure bringing a level 1 character to Faction would be a good idea...

Mostly only gold skill runes have a tradeoff, they're +3 to a skill but -75 to life. There's also one new weapon mod that has a tradeoff, it's +15% damage but -10 armor.

[ 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 12-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #46
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Okay so, there are people I could find who will run my War to Lionarch even if I don't have the quest etc.? And when I get there I could just pick up any Factions quests I feel like? If quests are not level based how does it work? Is it through quest chains? And if that is true would my warrior then be presented with the very first level quests in Cantha too?

Why would it not be a good idea? Or do you mean you end up somewhere else other than newbie isles (such as the 2nd island made for level 10+) which would then makes sense. I just can't stand Prophecies (I want to feed Rurik to the Devourers) but I do like Factions (and from what I have seen I like Nightfall). Factions was the chapter that I could actually play GW in.

My Assassin is of course, a primary Assassin (with monk secondary) but still I can't apply the stupid runes. I bought 'em from the vendor. Not for too much so it's okay, guess I "runed" it lolz. But, I salvaged some +energy runes from other items I found and they went on perfectly. Oddness. I found a gold hammer that I want to give to my War but it has a penalty of -5 energy on it. Otherwise it's a nice weapon for him.

As for the purple items, I am asking opinions so I know I amn't missing some chances at making cash. Do people usually just vendor 'em or should I horde and try to trade them. What I wouldn't give for an Auction House. Or even a vendor who would "trade" weapons for cash. I have alot of purples between chars at this stage - low level but still there's a good few.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #47
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Finishing the newbie islands in Factions should have you about level 15+, just about the level a character in LA should be.
Are you trying to apply Armor Runes(as opposed to Attribute Runes) to a Factions/Prophecies-made armor?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #48
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I think SW is trying to apply insignias to his factions made armour.

Only armour made in Elona (nightfall) can accept these insignias. However that doesn't mean you cant get those bonuses in Factions.

Factions armour has these insignias built into the armour type that you purchase. For example a Nightstalker armour that you purchase in factions has different stats to a shrouded armour in factions.

In Nightfall you can purchase armour without these bonuses and apply the bonuses that you want. It gives you greater flexibility and is one of the main buying points of the new chapter.

My guess is that this new armour system will probably be rolled across all chapters (much like the expanded storage in factions) when the next chapter is released as it makes no sence to have those insignias availble in the older chapters.

If you want a free run to LA message me in game Whirlwind Axehand and I can get you there.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #49
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Yeah, Insignias, that's the word [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I seriously need to fix my PC and start playing GW [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #50
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Okay so, there are people I could find who will run my War to Lionarch even if I don't have the quest etc.? And when I get there I could just pick up any Factions quests I feel like? If quests are not level based how does it work? Is it through quest chains? And if that is true would my warrior then be presented with the very first level quests in Cantha too?

Why would it not be a good idea? Or do you mean you end up somewhere else other than newbie isles (such as the 2nd island made for level 10+) which would then makes sense. I just can't stand Prophecies (I want to feed Rurik to the Devourers) but I do like Factions (and from what I have seen I like Nightfall). Factions was the chapter that I could actually play GW in.
Not quite. You can be run from wherever to LA then hop on over to Kaineng Center. BUT Kaineng is designed for level 20 (it is NOT the 'newbie' island) so low level foreigners are at a distinct disadvantage since the foe are geared towards the higher level player.

Mission maps are opened by finishing primary quest chains only in Factions. So, if you haven't done the proper sequence, you cannot do a mission and in some cases, even get to a map/area. This is designed to severely limit people shortcutting everywhere (being run instead of playing).

Quote:
My Assassin is of course, a primary Assassin (with monk secondary) but still I can't apply the stupid runes. I bought 'em from the vendor. Not for too much so it's okay, guess I "runed" it lolz. But, I salvaged some +energy runes from other items I found and they went on perfectly. Oddness. I found a gold hammer that I want to give to my War but it has a penalty of -5 energy on it. Otherwise it's a nice weapon for him.
Are you buying 'sin Insignia instead by mistake? Insignia can only be applied to Elonian (Nightfall) armor regardless of the profession they're set for.

And yes, there are sometimes conditionals set on weapons (typically gold ones). If a weapon has +15% damage always, typically it will have -5 energy or -10 armor while attacking. There are a few that have +5 energy, but again, will have the -10AL while attacking. Only you can decide if the trade-off is something you can work with or not.