Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 AM   #91
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Yeah, I think everyone's on board with the power supply thing. Let us know if it helps if you try replacing it!

And on the fan thing... Yeah, on my second computer I always pop the case off and have a standard office fan blowing air through it when there's some hardcore gaming going on. You'd be amazed what sort of reduction in temperature you'd get, as well as a reduction in noise since the internal fans have to work less hard.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #92
Target
Red Dragon

I just can't believe this one game causes so much more 'heat' I've palyed games for many many hours with no problems at all!! My case I think has 6 fans in it!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #93
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Probably not the heat, then, try a beefier power supply, or just a new one of the same kind. A wonky power supply can give you a lot of issues and they can go to hell out of the blue, in my experience.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:01 AM   #94
Target
Red Dragon

I've never liked my power supply. What would be a good one to look at getting?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #95
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Now that I can't help you much with, I'm not particularly experienced in brands and such, just make sure you get one that's compatible with your current case and etc., and aim for one with a higher voltage than your current one. The more power you have, the less likely you are to be lacking any in the future.

As far as I know, it's not possible to have too much power, but it's possible to have too little.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #96
Target
Red Dragon

I hope it's not the PSU, last time I replaced it I didn't plug everything into the right bits and had to take it to a shop to get it working again!! oops. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #97
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Ooof, that sounds bad. At least you didn't plug it in badly enough that it ruined anything though, right?

It may be worth getting a geeky friend to do it for you, that's what I generally do. It's not that I couldn't, I just prefer to not have any mistakes, plus, if I get someone else to do it and there ARE mistakes, I can blame them!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #98
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Guild Wars does create a lot of heat for some reason. My brother back when he had his old graphic card would crash every 40 minutes or so, until we got him a new fan.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #99
Target
Red Dragon

HA ha!! good idea!
I think I'll give XP and more mem a go before I start messing around with the PSU. (Hopefully XP will be easy to install) as I've no idea what PSU to get!!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #100
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Hey, Target, if you'll PM me your PC specs, I know a techy dude I could ask if he could recommend a good PSU. No promises, but I might be able to get you some advice.