Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
mitsos

Alright, I' m reading a philosophy book and have been considering some things. It might be irrelevant to all the other topics (but after all it's a general discussion), but I'd like to here from other people, especially from other countries. Do you think that the world becomes a better or a worse place?
I believe that as far technology is concerned, we are improving.
As far as morality and ethics, it's worsening by far.
What do you think?

Old 10-17-2001, 04:15 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I think that we are both getting better and worse at the same time, that on the other side of these current troubled times we shall find a haven where we will have improved, we must go through the valley to reach the mountain, at the moment the world is being made a worse place, but at some point it will change, but we have to survive the bad place first, the question is whether we will survive the bad times that lie between us and a better place.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:17 PM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

the world is still the world, what are you reading? the telepathic gorila?

as far as technology is concerned, we are improving, yes.

from my (limited) view of the world, it is such a wonderful place!
Old 10-17-2001, 04:17 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

I don't think our ethic is getting worse, its still the same as the cavemen but we just have better technology now to kill each other more brutally than before.
But thats just my opinion... I could be wrong
-dennis Miller

------------------
"When two or more people agree on an issue, I form on the other side."
- Bill Hicks
Old 10-17-2001, 04:23 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
the world is still the world, what are you reading? the telepathic gorila?

as far as technology is concerned, we are improving, yes.

from my (limited) view of the world, it is such a wonderful place!
Lol.... you seem truly reborn after your post on how fantastic life is

------------------

Formidable Flirty Fishy Sorcerer of the HADB

Old 10-17-2001, 04:32 PM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
Lol.... you seem truly reborn after your post on how fantastic life is

hey, I was NEVER once pessimistic
Old 10-17-2001, 04:35 PM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, personally, I think we're a lot better off both ethically and technologically than we were, say, 2000 years ago.

Somewhere along the way many people finally got the notion that slavery wasn't such a good idea after all and ditched it.

Somewhere along the way many people finally understood that women had the same rights as men did.

Somewhere along the way some people got together in various locations and figured out that having a single ruler wasn't always the best thing, and began having governments where the voice of the people could be heard.

Somewhere along the way a lot of people began to realize that there's far more to a person than the color of his or her skin or the clothes on his or her back.

Somewhere along the way, the life span of the average human being increased thirty or more years, from around 35-40 to around 70 or even 80 now in certain countries. The quality of living is much higher for a large portion of the world's population as well, as compared to where it was 2000 years ago.

I'm not saying we live in a utopia. Far from it. All the ills I mentioned still go on in various areas of the world today. But they're becoming more and more scarce as time goes on.

I think, ironically, that it is our technology that tends to give people a depressive outlook on the world. Nothing really that bad has happened that didn't already exist...we just have far more opportunity to hear about the bad now. And, of course, "bad" makes far better copy than "good." When was the last time the news bureaus reported "good" news as a headline story? It just doesn't sell.

Things are getting better, even if the current situation in the world looks like it's going down. Sometimes a river has to double back on itself to get where it's going....but it does get there.

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 04:39 PM   #8
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I have an opinion, but I'm not gonna say it !!
*curses as he realises doing that would make the post spam*
Ok, well, I believe that our technology has improved too well in too short a time, because since there is a downside to everything then our technology (mainly weapon technology) might be progressing, but I believe that it's progressing in it's regress, so the more advanced we become, the more likely we are to H-bomb the planet into oblivion.
Which wouldn't be a good thing, so if to truly advance then we would need to handle advanced technology with wisdom, unlike many people do at the moment, so until we can properly use our technology without using it for the wrong reasons, we're a bit screwed.
I think a prime example of technology being used against is terrorist organisations who view it as a tool of destruction to hold the world at ransom with.

P.S what book were you reading?

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'
Old 10-17-2001, 05:01 PM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Sazerac and Talthyr Malkaviel, you two makes up the whole story!
Old 10-17-2001, 05:02 PM   #10
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
Sazerac and Talthyr Malkaviel, you two makes up the whole story!
If it's a story, what's the title?