Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 10:57 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Who says the English are eccentric. Tonight, in my local pub, me and about twenty other 'adults' will hold our annual conker tournament. Now, I'm guessing that nobody outside England will have a clue about what I'm talking about so let me explain. BTW the winner wins a gallon of beer

Conkers
During the months of September and October, a favourite playground game in schools is conkers. It is a game which has been played every autumn for generations but now-a-days fewer children are playing it.

What is a conker?
A conker is the seed of the horse chestnut tree. It is a hard brown nut which is found in a prickly casing. They fall from the tree when they are ripe during the autumn months. Conkers is the name given to a game played between two people at a time.

How to prepare your conker for playing
The best conkers to play with, are uncracked, firm and symmetrical. Make a hole through the middle of of your chosen conker. Thread a strong piece of string about 25cm long, through the hole and tie a knot at one end, so that it doesn't pull through.

How to play conkers
Each player has a conker hanging on its string. Players take turns at hitting their opponent's conker. If you are the one whose conker is to be hit first, let it hang down from the string which is wrapped round your hand. The conker is held at the height your opponent chooses and is held perfectly still.

Your opponent, the striker, wraps his conker string round his hand just like yours. He then takes his conker in the other hand and draws it back for the strike. Releasing the conker he swings it down by the string held in the other hand and tries to hit his opponents conker (yours) with it.

If he misses he is allowed up to two further goes.

If the strings tangle, the first player to call "strings" gets an extra shot.

If a player drops his conker, or it is knocked out of his hand the other player can shout 'stamps' and jump on it; but should its owner first cry 'no stamps' then the conker, hopefully, remains intact. (This usually entails a lot of barging as the conker is rolling about on the floor - this gives me a great advantage as I'm a bit bigger than most people )

The game goes on in turns until one or other of the two conkers is completely destroyed.

Hints for making your conker harder, You could try one of the following:

Soak your conker in vinegar.
Bake your conker in the oven.
Use an old conker from previous years.

World Conker Championships
This event is held every year on the second Sunday in October on the Village Green at Ashton in Northamptonshire. Contestants are not allowed to use their own conkers. Nuts are supplied for each game after being gathered and strung by the organisers. Each game lasts five minutes. If neither conker has broken a shoot out takes place. Each player has three sets of three hits and the one who lands most clean hits is the winner.

Interesting Facts about Conkers

Britain is believed to be the only country in the world where the game of conkers is traditionally played with horse chestnuts in the autumn.

Horse chestnut trees were first introduced to England in the late 16th century from Eastern Europe.

The first recorded game of conkers was on the Isle of Wight in 1848 and was modelled on a 15th century game played with hazelnuts, also known as cobnuts.

The origin of the name 'conker' is unclear, but one popular explanation is that it stems from the French word cogner, meaning to "hit" or "biff".

Extracts from horse chestnuts have been used to treat malaria, varicose veins, diarrhoea, frostbite and ringworm, as well as being a component of sunscreen products.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-17-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

COOL! I wanna play!

I think I'll start up a tourney in my hometown. My Mom's got horse chestnut trees to DIE for! Nut EVERYWHERE!!!!

*I love new games*

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-17-2001, 11:10 AM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

You british are completely (chest)nuts.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:16 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Oooh, I used to love playing conkers.
Your conker is ranked depending on how many games it survives. Once it gets a crack, that's it, destruction is imminent.
When I was a kid, every pocket of every kid would contain a conker on a string.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-17-2001, 11:19 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I remember reading about the game of "conkers" years ago, when I was like in the 3rd grade. It always intrigued me. I got the impression that it was played in New England, too, here in the States. I imagine that the first settlers probably brought the game over with them. You don't hear about it further south than that, though.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 11:27 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Oooh, I used to love playing conkers.
Your conker is ranked depending on how many games it survives. Once it gets a crack, that's it, destruction is imminent.
When I was a kid, every pocket of every kid would contain a conker on a string.

That's right , if your conker wins one game it's a 'one-er' then it's a 'two-er' a 'three-er'

I certainly live life in the fast lane

------------------

Old 10-17-2001, 01:39 PM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Sounds like a pretty fun game, I've gotta go collect some chestnuts!
Old 10-17-2001, 06:33 PM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Feedback on your performance is required oh "Double Donut Seven" - did you sweep the floor with the opposition, or were you shamefully brushed aside in the opening round???

------------------

Ironworks Revolutionary Splitter wannabe
Founding Member, and General Demands Adviser of the O.R.T.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:35 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Feedback on your performance is required oh "Double Donut Seven" - did you sweep the floor with the opposition, or were you shamefully brushed aside in the opening round???

In the first round I demolished my opponent. After 6 or 7 well placed bashes his conker was stripped from the string and slowly rolled across the floor. Calling out 'stamps' his conker was crushed beneath my heel.

In the second round I was pitted against the new barmaid. It was her first night in the pub so I immediately set out to intimidate her 'Do you know who I am?' I boomed. She is about 4ft 10in tall so I deliberately towered over her (at 6ft 1) in an attempt to put the fear of god into her.

I started well, with a few hefty blows, she managed to hit mine once. Then as I smahed her conker for the sixth time my own nut burst into very small pieces and I went away defeated, just managing to mutter 'well done' to my tiny opponent.

Never mind - there's always next year!

------------------

Old 10-18-2001, 04:40 AM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
In the first round I demolished my opponent. After 6 or 7 well placed bashes his conker was stripped from the string and slowly rolled across the floor. Calling out 'stamps' his conker was crushed beneath my heel.

In the second round I was pitted against the new barmaid. It was her first night in the pub so I immediately set out to intimidate her 'Do you know who I am?' I boomed. She is about 4ft 10in tall so I deliberately towered over her (at 6ft 1) in an attempt to put the fear of god into her.

I started well, with a few hefty blows, she managed to hit mine once. Then as I smahed her conker for the sixth time my own nut burst into very small pieces and I went away defeated, just managing to mutter 'well done' to my tiny opponent.

Never mind - there's always next year!
No further comment.

------------------

The world is my oyster !