Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2001, 10:34 PM   #1
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

You being threatened by someone? Is geocities planned to remove your site? Fear no more. E-mail me and I will HOST your portraits site on my web server. Let them pick a legal battle with me if they want to.
Old 05-27-2001, 10:36 PM   #2
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

forgot:

please e-mail me at either of the following:

webmaster@strider.worldzone.net or shadowstrider666@hotmail.com with the title being "webhosting for portrait sites"
Old 05-27-2001, 11:29 PM   #3
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrider:
You being threatened by someone? Is geocities planned to remove your site? Fear no more. E-mail me and I will HOST your portraits site on my web server. Let them pick a legal battle with me if they want to.
Actually, If you ask the author of the images (like Larry Elmore and others) for permission, they will usually allow you to have the portraits on your site, all they ask is that you get permission first.

I agree too.. I'm an Artist, and have Copyrighted works, and I've seen my work stolen or used without permission, and it makes you mad, and insulted..
I've also talked with Larry Elmore (my favorite Fantasy Artist) about lot's of stuff, he's a really nice guy too.. I grew up in the same state he did too!!

So if you ask permission, you have nothing to worry about..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 05-27-2001, 11:40 PM   #4
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

yes, but there is NOTHING wrong with using them without permission. Fair use laws allow use as long as one does not profit. While I agree permission should be asked for and given, there is no law that requires it.
Old 05-27-2001, 11:49 PM   #5
DarkPiper
Dungeon Master

I think the artists would beg to differ.

Some artists may not want certain pieces of art to be used. I belong to an Elfquest club that was doing a Tarot deck using the characters. In the years since the project started, one of the main contributors went from being a mildly devout Southern Baptist to a very devout Southern Baptist, and pulled all her art from the Tarot deck.

Let's not even get into contracts...

Dark Piper
Old 05-27-2001, 11:56 PM   #6
Shadowstrider
Manshoon

whether the artist want to differ or not, legally i could take a picture ad a mustache and claim it as my own artwork, sell it and profit. Also legally i could take a port put it on my site and allow it to be distributed FREELY without fear of prosecution.
Old 05-28-2001, 12:12 AM   #7
Ziroc

Quote:
yes, but there is NOTHING wrong with using them without permission. Fair use laws allow use as long as one does not profit. While I agree permission should be asked for and given, there is no law that requires it.
Their ARE laws that require it, you can get in big trouble with copyright infringement.. You need to read the copywright laws at this site:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/

Read this below about copyright Infringment:
--------------------------------------------
Somebody infringed my copyright. What can I do?

A party may seek to protect his or her copyrights against unauthorized use by filing a civil lawsuit in Federal district court. If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, consult an attorney. In cases of willful infringement for profit, the U.S. Attorney may initiate a criminal investigation.

Is my copyright good in other countries?

The United States has copyright relations with more than 100 countries throughout the world, and as a result of these agreements, we honor each other's citizens' copyrights. However, the United States does not have such copyright relationships with every country. For a listing of countries and the nature of their copyright relations with the United States, see Circular 38a, International Copyright Relations of the United States .

Just wanted you to know the facts..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 05-28-2001, 12:14 AM   #8
Ziroc

Quote:
whether the artist want to differ or not, legally i could take a picture ad a mustache and claim it as my own artwork, sell it and profit. Also legally i could take a port put it on my site and allow it to be distributed FREELY without fear of prosecution.
Read this from the US Goverments Copyright site:
---------------------------------------------------------------
How much do I have to change in my own work to make a new claim of copyright?

You may make a new claim in your work if the changes are substantial and creative -- something more than just editorial changes or minor changes. This would qualify as a new derivative work. For instance, simply making spelling corrections throughout a work does not warrant a new registration -- adding an additional chapter would. See Circular 14 for further information.

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 05-28-2001, 12:18 AM   #9
DarkPiper
Dungeon Master

I wouldn't want to put that to the test. That's not the same as making a collage. Might fall under parody, depending on the picture.

There's also the moral right to not have work associated with people or causes you don't agree with. If I had a piece of art that I found out was being used by someone who thought shooting abortion providers was a good idea, for example, I could contact that person and demand he/she stop using my art.

Then there's the Berne Convention, an international copyright agreement, which the US also follows. Berne doesn't have a fair use clause.

And people wonder why artists can be touchy about their copyrights.

Dark Piper
Old 05-28-2001, 12:30 AM   #10
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkPiper:

And people wonder why artists can be touchy about their copyrights.

Dark Piper

Amen to that! Plus, what's even WORST, is when someone has YOUR work on their site, and claim it's theirs.... oh, that REALLY gets me mad.. I've actually had to send papers to this one guy because he had ALL of my 3D models up for download, claimed they were his--EVEN EDITED the textfile in the zip's..

I'm not trying to be mean Shadowstrider, just wanting you to know the law. just remember, if you worked on something for days or weeks, then find that someone else calls it their own, you would be upset..

I've studied Law, so I know how things work a bit..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks