Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 02:51 PM   #1
rngamer

The four Scabban's guys in the Toadem Circle keep kicking my butt, even though my warriors are at Level 4. Strategy: leave and get tougher, or
do I need some special equipment?
Old 01-07-2001, 02:59 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

What sort of magic attacks do you have available??

I found distance fighting with spells more effective at this point in the game than trying to take them on up close. Also try to limit how many of them can attack you at once. Better to attack one and try to draw it away from the others than have the whole group going at you.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 03:17 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Level 4 is a little early for the Toadem quest, IMO. I never go for it until I'm about level 7 on warriors / 6 on spellcasters. Have you finished the Crypt yet? You can always go fight Rumphy again to get more experience. Best bet: at least wait until your Wizard gets "Elemental Blast" (3rd level Stone); it's the most effective spell on the Swamp Muck (Scabban-type) monsters early on. Equip the rest of your party with potions of Mana (Mana More or Max if you can) and have them revive the wizard's mana during the combat. Also have your priest (or Paladin if you have one) ready with "Great Heal"; it's the best low-level (3rd level Spirit) spell that cures nausea. Equip the warriors with bows (and train at least one in bows) so you can range-fight the monsters, then strafe (L & R arrow keys) out of the way of their gas attacks.

Hope this helps,
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
Lily the Ranger

I am with Sazerac . . . I finished crypt before taking on toad village quest (only after being buffeted about by noxious green clouds). Wyv is definitely right about fighting one at a time. SAVE and experiment with how they are cued to appear . . . you should be able to figure it out and even up the odds a bit. If you go around the circle, to open the chest, you don't cue any (I think). I think this was a job for magic not might.

Luck!
Old 01-07-2001, 06:06 PM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Definitely a cast and retreat strategy, but I did it before the crypt this time and with fairly weak characters. In the end, after running out of all the better spells available to me, I resorted to running back up into the hut (brave brave brave brave Sir Robin). Up there, I could regenerate my mana and they couldn't touch me. Then it was edge out sideways onto the bridge, cast spell (mostly flamedrop I think), possibly cop some nausea, hop back inside and recover. Whittled em down to size eventually.
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 09:34 PM   #6
Erad

Well, I always go there before the crypt.Why?Because of warriors guild quest to find sword of mastus.I hate coming back there, one time is enough.So I go there after I finish both quests in both guilds(war & priest).It saves me a lot of time.

Erad

PS I usually make it out with at least 2 party members dead