Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Are magical weapons and items randomly generated in this game, similar to *cringes*... Diablo?

Or is it like Baldur's Gate, where you know where and who holds every weapon/item?

If the weapons ARE scripted to be on certain monsters and in certain areas of the game, then what are the best weapons you can get at roughly 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and near the end of the game?

The primary reason that I am asking this is so that I know what weapon my fighter, thief, cleric, and mages should specialize in.

I don't want to allocate 3 points to my fighter's 'Longsword feat' if half way through the game it turns out that I should have put those points in his "Two-handed Sword' spot, since there is a kick-arse two-handed sword later on.

Note: you can go ahead and spoil me a bit if you need to. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Actually it is a mix of both. Some items are predetermined "drops" while others are determined from a random table of items. If IWD2 works the same way as IWD did with respect to the random items, then those items are determined the FIRST time that you enter a specific area and not when you encounter a specific individual or container.

As far as specific weapon types - i haven't really come across ANY weapon type that is lacking in terms of quality or quantity. I've found great longswords, shortswords, two-handed swords, bastard swords, axes, maces, morningstars, hammers, flails, longbows, crossbows, slings, darts and even spears and halberds. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've found +3 to +5 versions of virtually every weapon type, and all of my characters have at least one +5 weapon. Some of the +3 weapons are actually better as they often have bonus damage. My favorite is a particular hammer that does extra acid damage and a halberd that does an INCREDIBLE amount of extra fire damge! Your front line fighters should have enough feats to spread around so that they can become specialized with more than one weapon type - try to give them both a blunt and piercing/slashing weapon.

[ 05-13-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
trueheart78
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It is a bit both, but on the way the random item generator works - it's done at the time you receive an item.

In the goblin fortress, right when ya give the bracers to that barghest, he gives you a reward. I got a sweet 2h axe +2, then went out to do something, got smoked, reloaded, hadn't saved since RIGHT before the turn in to mr barghest - this time he gave me a club... non of my guys use clubs, but my primary fighter is specialized in axe... Let's just say I was purty happy to load my autosave with the axe there, especially after I had quickloaded a few times to try & get my axe back from the turn in, and got a different item each time.
trueheart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Well thanks for clearing that up for me, Micah.

I suppose I will just play it safe and pick 4 or 5 weapon types and just allocate points to them.

Maybe, longswords, bastard swords, axes, hammers, and crossbows.

Hmmm... I know that the Moonblade is a 'predetermined' weapon and would call for specialization in the Longsword feat (atleast I think it's longsword).

Without giving away the exact name/location/person for which I will find another 'predetermined' weapon later on in the game, what weapon feat would you or someone else recomend to me for my tank/fighter?

Oh and another quickie, are there any weapon/items that are 'race specific', or 'race benificial'? I'm just curious.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Vassago
Manshoon

I'm not sure about race specific, but there are items that are alignment and class specific.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Fighter type???

If it's a paladin, I would recommend either longsword and either flail
or mace, then add a crossbow for ranged weapon.

If you have two front line fighters and the second is a dwarf fighter, go with axe and either hammer or mace. I KNOW it is stereotypical but it does round out the weapon choices and trust me you WILL want your paladin to have the longsword specialization. Again round out the dwarf by adding a crossbow as a ranged weapon.

Here's what I did with my party for weapons and feats:

Dwarven fighter: axes, maces, hammers 3* each plus crossbow and polearm (halberd)1*

Paladin: large sword, great sword and flail 2* plus crossbow and polearm (halberd)1*

Elven ranger: large sword (long sword), small blade (short sword), bows, polearm (spear) 2*, rapid shot, point blank, dual wield and weapon finesse

Halfing rogue: small blade (short sword and dagger) and bows (short bow) 2*, weapon finesse, point blank and rapid shot

Cleric: maces 2*, missile (sling)

Wizard: uses daggers and short bow 1* only, weapon finesse

I never added the exotic weapon feat, so i don't have use of bastard swords by ANY characters. Some of the fighters have also taken power attack and cleave as well as improved critical but I don't have the exact details of who has what in front of me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Note that these were where my characters finished the first run thru of the game. They were around 16th or 17th level. Since I started the HOF game, I've still been adding weapon feats to some of them and the rogue is now adding wizard levels (think mirror image, cat's grace and invisibility) and will add ambidexterity and two-handed fighting. [img]smile.gif[/img] The cleric and wizard will continue straight through in their current classes.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 05-14-2003, 09:03 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer

I have run into several alignment restricted weapons as well as class specific weapons but Race specific? I believe that there is one hammer that is only usable by dwarves, but I will have to double check.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #8
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted by: Micah Foehammer

I have run into several alignment restricted weapons as well as class specific weapons but Race specific? I believe that there is one hammer that is only usable by dwarves, but I will have to double check.
Ehhh...

Don't worry about it.

I was just curious since there seems to be so much about this game, and the 3rd ed rules for that matter, which seem new and confusing to me.

I've got:

Fighter, Tiefling, neutral-good
Ranger, Drow, neutral-?
Cleric, Aasimar, Morninglord of Lathander, chaotic-good
Rogue, Lightfoot hafling, neutral-?
Evoker, Drow, lawful-evil
Conjurer, Deep Gnome, neutral-?

As far as weapon proficiencies go, I'll just stick with 3 or 4 for each character, with each having a little different mix of WPs.

I was mainly concerned with knowing the 'pre-scripted' magical weapon types that I am bound to run into as the game progresses.

But if there are only a couple, then I won't worry about it. Thanks everyone!