Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 03:16 PM   #1
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Dafan,

In another thread, you seemed to say that your PC or NPCs can increase their Lore abilities by reading all of those ridiculous books that are throughout the game? Is this correct? If so, how does it work?!

Thanks!

------------------

My *God* man...would you *please* eat something!?
Old 04-04-2001, 03:20 PM   #2
dafan

I don't know but I asked this yesterday... and what the post could tell... if you read books you raise you lorepoints... the higher lorepoints you got the rare items you can identify without spells and scrolls... you read em by opening em I think

------------------

I'm a protector of good

a seeker of truth

a symbol of light
Old 04-04-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
ShadowUK

Ay,
News to me……………..

------------------
Old 04-04-2001, 03:26 PM   #4
dafan

for me to... well I wore wondering why my chars had so high lore my first time I played compared to the second and third..and when I got the answers I got it cause I used to read all books for fn and so I didn' miss anything

------------------

I'm a protector of good

a seeker of truth

a symbol of light
Old 04-04-2001, 03:53 PM   #5
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I have never heard of this before. I'm not saying it's incorrect, but there are many explanations as to how lore increases.

The manual explains that different character classes get lore bonuses for each level. Bards get the greatest (10 points per level) while Thieves and Mages get the next best (3 points per level) and most other classes only get 1 point per level.

Characters also get a lore bonus depending on their Intelligence and Wisdom. A character with a high intelligence has a better lore than one with an Int of only 6. Thus an intelligent Bard will have the best lore (at level 7 or so it gets well above 70 -- easily identifies most items).

Lore can also be modified with potions. If you drink a potion of intelligence, your lore rating will increase. Likewise, a potion of wisdom will increase lore. I found that when I drank the intelligence potion, my Bard was able to identify almost everything. Even a Mage will do very well at identification when his/her intelligence is at 22. For maximum effect drink one of each potion and watch the Mage go to work.

This is what I know of lore. I've personally found no practical use for the books in the game. I think they were added to add flavor to the game, and to give you some background on the broader storyline of the Forgotten Realms.

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice
Old 04-04-2001, 04:10 PM   #6
Lord Shield

Hmm. My next character is going on a reading frenzy. I shall note lore alues before and after
>