Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2000, 12:58 AM   #1
G.W.

I think this is the best combo:

Half-elf Ranger/cleric (the tank)
Elf Fighter/thief (the archer)
Gnome Fighter/illusionist (the second tank)

It's the right number to get outfit all the good equipment and specialize in all the worthwhile weapons. I'm starting over to advance the latter two to join the former for the expansion.
Old 12-29-2000, 07:50 PM   #2
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

I would try this one:

Human Fighter;
Half Elven Cleric/Ranger.
Gnome Illusionist/Thief.

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 12-29-2000, 08:08 PM   #3
G.W.

Although a pure fighter is good, I think a fighter-mage is better because he can go straight into the fray with stone skin and mirror image. The gnome fighter-mage also can wear the special 3 AC helm for sale at the smithy, which makes her have great AC wearing elven chainmail (-9 AC, or -11 with a Defender weapon).
Old 12-30-2000, 06:47 AM   #4
Christo the Monster

Nawh...I think provided you have a Fighter, Thief, Mage, and Cleric covered in 3 people you're fine. A pure fighter is a true tank, on the account that at the final boss you are about level 15-16. Dual class don't cut it really... And you don't need to make use of all the items..a lot of them are pretty useless, and wouldn't be helpful. A Thief/Mage is all purpose, for he can cast excellent support magic as well as offensive magic, he can hide, and backstab, but his spells are really important. A Cleric. Well a cleric is a cleric, great deffensive magics can fight if need be, and healing. So provided those four are covered in some way shape or form you are set.
Old 12-30-2000, 03:48 PM   #5
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

I can only talk from BG experiance (why the f*ck do you come to this forum then?)

but i'd say

Ranger/cleric (dualed from rangerat level 3 or something)
Fighter/thief (dual directly at level2)
Mage or fighter mage (dual at level 2 too)
Rikard T'Aranaxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 05:02 PM   #6
G.W.

You don't dual something over after one level. Then they have poor thacos and don't get more proficiencies.
Old 01-03-2001, 03:34 PM   #7
Mourngrim

I am attempting to understand if you fellows are speaking on having only 3 members in your party in total? I can not imagine why anyone would do this if that is the case and dont try and tell me it is easier and less confusing, unless you are somewhat retarded the pause button is more than enough to allow total control easily, over any size party. If this is not what you are refering to then i will shut it.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:41 PM   #8
G.W.

There are some reasons to have fewer members.
(1) Because there are fewer members, each member gets more experience, so you will probably hit the experience cap (it's easy to do with 2 members). This means your party of three can be just as potent as a party of 6, and each member is more powerful. The one mage will have all the spells you run across in his spell book. The fighters will each have the best equipment in the game. You want to come close to the cap so you will reach the new 2.9 million exp cap in the expansion.
(2) Pathfinding isn't so great so you take a lot longer crawling through a dungeon with a full party. You bounce into each other a lot less with fewer members. You are actually more effective.
(3) I think the game is more challenging and thus more enjoyable. Having six characters, you don't gain an attachment to them. If there are just three, it seems more epic and you grow attached to each one, and treat them differently.
Old 01-04-2001, 04:07 AM   #9
Khanar Tor'vel

Actually, I'm attatched to all six of my party members.

I actually have one real party member, a Bard, and just need the other five to protect his butt while he's singing, dancing, drinking, and playing his little harp. Actually, I'm sorta serious there. hehe He's my highest level character (13) but he's not too hot in close combat with monsters, so he needs..um...support.
Old 01-04-2001, 11:52 AM   #10
Mourngrim

You make several valid points in your argument for three characters but i think what it comes down to is your own style of play. My party is rather basic as i did not read any manuals on character generation or optimal party configurations. Consisting of 2 tanks 2 clerics a mage and a thief.

In truth reaching the xp cap is really not all that important. They dont give any medals out for maxing out your xp and even though my characters are currently only levels 11-13 there is nothing I have encountered so far that we cannot stop with some good planning and wise use of the items we have gathered. I mean its not a competition to see who is the best or the coolest it is a game for you to enjoy playing and have fun with ( I dont want to be able to wade into a fight without concern,its the fear and need to use my brain that is enjoyable to me).

I do agree that a party of three at level 16 can be just as powerful as six of lower levels but the three would lack the flexibility of six in my view more options is always better. The tanks soaking up damage and delivering deathblows (specializing in different weapons allows them to have the best of many weapon types) constantly under the watchful eyes of two fine clerics one of which is stocked full of buffs and heals(also acting as a tank) the other acting as main healer, these two in tandem have provided more simultaneous heals on varying party members in the heat of a raging battle than i can count. this effectively doubles the number of heals in your arsenal. While the mage reaches into his full book o' tricks (due to the fact he is the only mage he does indeed have all the spells we come across) and the thief gets wacky with his backstab and missile weapons, pulling in one at a time what we cant beat in a stand up fight.

I however do not agree that it is so bad dealing with pathing in a full party it is a rarity that someone wanders off in the wrong direction. If they do however i just curse them and steer em back. I dont see why taking longer in a dungeon is bad enjoy the game already.

Finaly i spent a few hours making my characters, each is unique and I have gained a attachment to them. They are my party and they do me proud every time i play, even that simpering Elf.