Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Anyone see this??!! Please forgive me if a thread was already made on this subject (didn't see one). This mother has since been detained by police, gave herself up (dyed her hair black, so at first bet was thinking of trying to disguise herself and not be noticed, probably though in the end was fingerpointed and gave herself up). She claims she only hit her kids "open handed" not with fists, well see the video for yourselves and draw your own conclusions. Says she had had a "bad day" is all.

Here is the link, just click on "play security footage (silent)"

http://www.courttv.com/video/

[ 09-23-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-23-2002, 10:36 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Oh, yes. She also said that she was hitting the child's car seat. [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] The angle in the video places her hand nowhere near the car seat....

"Having a bad day" is never an excuse for doing that to a child. And her claim that she hit with her open hand only, as if that makes it better. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

This case is actually not out of the norm for people slapping or hitting children, nor does it rank among "the worst" as far as these cases go, she just happened to be caught on tape in a parking lot. Because so many abuse cases are discovered after the fact, it is quite rare to catch someone actually doing it.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well Azred I agree with you, and from the footage I've seen on TV (which is much clearer than the online version), she was using her fists, she even brings her arm down and her hand is still in a fist. Not to mention at the end there she appeared to me to be shaking the crap out of her child (oh she didn't have any marks did she?) She's a liar, and makes me ill, and I know, it is a rare thing for something like that to actually get caught on film, but I'm so glad it did, as that is one abusive person who will have to stand up and deal with her actions. She can say whatever she wants in her defense, but that tape says it all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

[ 09-23-2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-23-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

They mentioned this on the Today Show yesterday. She was saying that she was being punished for having her child taken away from her. She went on to say that her parents, husband, and other 3(?) children are suffering more because of this decision.

But hey, relieving anger through abuse, no matter who, is the wrong way to play your cards. I would have figured this woman to have been more open-minded with her "disciplinary action." I mean, beating your kid in a parking lot? Hmmm. Let's think about this: broad area, PUBLIC area..
Old 09-23-2002, 11:04 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Another part of the problem is that there are still many people out there whose attitude is "not my problem". Several days ago there was a lady in the store where Belle works who was making excuses for this nut-ball, saying things like "we weren't there, so we don't know what she was going through" etc. [img]graemlins/dontknowaboutyou.gif[/img]

Making excuses is tantamount to giving permission.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:29 AM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
They mentioned this on the Today Show yesterday
They showed this footage on US television? Wow. I'm not sure what's more disturbing, the woman beating her child or the fact that it was shown on National Television. WTF has the entirety of the US to do with something between the woman, the children, the police and all kinds of anti-child abuse organizations? Plain disgusting, this kind of gutter press. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
But I suppose that's what one can expect from the Jerry Springer generation. *Of course* the only reason this was broadcasted is because of the viewer ratings... [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

[ 09-24-2002, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-24-2002, 05:47 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
They showed this footage on US television?
Actually I think this footage went world wide I´ve seen it on CBC. She called it a big misunderstanding as I recall.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:18 AM   #8
Hexa
The Magister

Agreed Grojlach ... but people just like to be shocked!@

As for the case at hand ... I think there is no excuse for hitting a child like that .. plain and simple.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:15 AM   #9
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I see everyone here is against this woman for smacking her kid. I have a question for everyone , how do we know the kid didnt earn a smack? One of the articles I read said that the woman in the video was trying to return somethings to the store and they wouldnt take them back. Maybe while she was talking to whom ever to return the stuff her kid was terrorizeing the store.We have all seen kids that run amuck in public because they know their parents cant punish them in public. Maybe her kid was one of thoes kids and when she got her kid back to the car the kid got a whuppin. There ia a big diffrence between a whuppin and abuse. Abuse is burning kids with cigaretts , briuseing them and breaking their bones. A whuppin will be forgotten in an hour and there arent any marks because it might be excessive , but it isnt abuse.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:18 AM   #10
Hexa
The Magister

perhaps I didn't make myself clear ... NOTHING justifies hitting a kid like that!@