Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hahahaha this sounds so cool, I always wanted to see someone try this, and luckily no one was hurt. Here's the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070714...iacrimeoffbeat

Here's a link for the video:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com
I hope that link works, I had to type it in.

It doesn't, go here, http://www.yahoo.com/ and click watch, you'll have to hurry as the news stories change daily I think.

[ 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Balintherlas ]
Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Three cheers for Australia!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Police gave no reason why the man targeted mobile phone towers
Is this the guy who had to answer "Can you hear me now?" nine hundred times a day?

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Hahahaha ah man I hate that f'n guy in the commercial. The guy who stole the tank should have run him over, shot him, or both as the cell phone guy was asking his infamous question.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

It is not a tank on the picture though.
Looks like an APC (if that is how you call it in English).

On the rest-cool.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] I wonder, just wonder, what he would have done with a real tank?

You know, the kind that ways 10 times more than a tracked Personnel Carrier. Similar to what ALL of the free news have posted as a "TANK".

Hmm, tracked vehicle, loud engine, police 9mm bullets bounce off, must be a tank!

Imagine, if you can, a 72 ton, turbine engine powered, 120mm main gun sticking off the front, rolling through your hood at 72Kph. Was it mentioned that in order to be a tank it must be heavy, at least 35 metric tonne, have a large caliber gun, at least 100mm, and must be able to protect the crew from other vehicles similar to it on the field of battle? [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Speaking of which, Australia has just purchased a large tank inventory from us. It appears they are requesting a number of personnel in addition to the training team to assist in the establishment of their in-house training school, development school, and possibly advanced training. At the moment contractors have *NOT* been ruled out!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Was it mentioned that in order to be a tank it must be heavy, at least 35 metric tonne, have a large caliber gun, at least 100mm, and must be able to protect the crew from other vehicles similar to it on the field of battle? [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
Quote:
tank –noun
1. a large receptacle, container, or structure for holding a liquid or gas: tanks for storing oil.
2. a natural or artificial pool, pond, or lake.
3. Military. an armored, self-propelled combat vehicle, armed with cannon and machine guns and moving on a caterpillar tread.
4. Slang. a prison cell or enclosure for more than one occupant, as for prisoners awaiting a hearing.
Seems like the kind of description I would give it!

I think this story is hilarious. I love how the police tried to drive in front of the tank, then realised how stupid tat was and backed off, later returning to spray mace through the rear of the tank, thinking that, that would somehow affect him....

[ 07-15-2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Hivetyrant-It was an armored vehicle without a gun.
Besides even if it did have a gun (which i seriously doubt) it still does not qualify for a tank-it is, as felix pointed out, too light. And yet another thing-Tank's basic design is not made for carrying additional personnel around. APC, like one on the picture, is made specifically for that purpose.

In short we can conclude from this story that news agencies (apart from Israeli, which called it APC from the start) do not know some very basic military stuff.

Woe and shame to them!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

The Merkava of your army is a tank designed to carry infantry. The weight of an AFV doesn't make it a tank, the M3 Stuart was a light tank that only weighed about 15 tons. I think Felix means Main Battle Tank.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

The primary purpose of merkava is to destroy various T's not to carry infantry around. We have done it in Gaza strip, yes (We even had a tank ambulance with a doctor and two medics there), but it is unorthodox tank usage. Besides in order to do it you have to remove 20/50 (in Gaza strip all our tanks had 30 out of 50 shells. We had to remove 20 out of 50 shells in order to make place for water, tools and food. Remember-you can't go outside of the tank in Gaza strip because you will be shot. I had to sit in the tank for days, some times even a week without breathing fresh air.) of your shells. If you remove 20/50 you can place with great discomfort one or two infantrymen. If you remove 40/50 shells you leave a tank with 10 shells and 4 infantrymen that will curse the day they were born, because they will have such a bumpy ride that bull riding in rodeo comes to mind as a comparison.

In short-while Merkava can carry infantry around it comes at a price (shells), and it is not its main purpose anyway.

Now about the Stuart tank. It is a tank from ww2, and modern technology (as well as definition of what tank actually is) had advanced quite a bit. When someone today says "tank" they mean Main Battle Tank. This APC does not even stands close.

Besides i know what this vehicle actually is. Our mechanics crew uses it. Trust me, it is not a tank. It weighs around 10 tons, and it has only 1 MG. In my army (which is a professional army insofar as names are concerned) we called it NaGMash-Nose Gyisot Meshurian (in english- APC).