Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 11:57 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

It's a joke!!

Actually, it's not - the food's not that bad, it's quite reasonable for a chain...but it's more like Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe/Tony Roma standard stuff than anything uniquely Australian. We don't have them here in OZ by the way - I tried it in the US and also in Manila.

Go to the "Sounds of Silence" restaurant just outside Uluru in the Northern Territory and have freshly cooked crocodile or emu, along with some witchetty grubs - now THAT's Australian.

[ 12-16-2002, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-15-2002, 01:42 AM   #12
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I try to avoid steakhouses after hearing about a woman who was infected with herpes after sending her steak back to the kitchen because the garlic sauce tasted funny (ewww). It happened at a Lonestar steakhouse in Aus.(the American equiv. of Outback?).
Old 12-15-2002, 02:05 AM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Sever:
I try to avoid steakhouses after hearing about a woman who was infected with herpes after sending her steak back to the kitchen because the garlic sauce tasted funny (ewww). It happened at a Lonestar steakhouse in Aus.(the American equiv. of Outback?).
We have Lonestar Steakhouse here, but I really find it hard to belive that you can catch herpes from a steak
Old 12-15-2002, 03:03 AM   #14
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
We have Lonestar Steakhouse here, but I really find it hard to belive that you can catch herpes from a steak
A steak? Is that what they are calling erm ... roundheels, now? Darn, I never can get the new slang right.
And, Magik, Ruth's Chris Steak House is good, but the Cattlemen's in Fort Worth is simply the best beef that I have ever eaten. All prime, charcoal broiled. [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 04:53 AM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well I had a really nice steak there, and as Slackerboy said, it did remind me of home. There was an abundance of Aboriginal art and Aussie lingo, so I enjoyed it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Did I mention that the steak was really nice?

Whether it encapsulates Australia or not.... how do you encapsulate a multicultural society like Australia or America?

It does capture a flavour of rural 'outback' Oz though.... possibly hence the name I guess. Leonis and I spent four years in an Aussie desert mining town waaaaay out back. (Near Marble Bar and Wittenoom)

We'd play cricket in dry riverbeds. That was the vibe I got from Outback steakhouse (albeit it cleaner and not as dusty), not like say eating sushi or Indian on Oxford Street on a froiday noight.

Mario, Lennon, have you been to the Etamogah Pub out in the boondocks? Think that kind of thing.

I think there's an Etamogahish bar in Darling Harbour now actually.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-15-2002, 05:05 AM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

have you been to the Etamogah Pub out in the boondocks? Think that kind of thing.
I *WISH*.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:08 AM   #17
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Well Ziroc, I imagine it is similar to the Lonestar Steak House experience over here - reasonable grub from mostly local rather than imported produce, with some marketing cliches and catchphrases to pique the curiousity of the customer.

I found (at the local Lonestar) that the free peanuts, the shells everywhere, and the table dancing were very interesting. I had to explain to my date that she wasn't getting her steak with the salad (like we would normally see happen over here), and that she would have to conform to the "barbaric" practice of eating her greens before they produced the much promised steak.

The other thing - well I never quite managed to convince her that the white inedible tasteless stuff that she was spreading on her bread really was American butter. I explained to her that over there, butter is not yellow, and really doesn't have taste, but she just couldn't believe that a country smart enough to put a man on the moon could botch up something so inherently simple as butter . I explained to her that the best NY restaraunts increasingly import butter from Trinidad and Tobago.

And I would like to take the opportunity to once again assure the NYPD that while I hold an Australian drivers licence, I still do NOT wrestle any crocodiles, and remain without the intent to do so .
Old 12-15-2002, 09:43 AM   #18
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Im waiting for the chance to try Ruths Cris steak house some time.
Well , come on up to NY , magik. We can get some local IW folks together and hit the one over in lincoln Center.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:09 PM   #19
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
Well I am not from down-under but we have one in Edmonton I ate there once and thats it for me. I did not like the food and it was over priced.
Yea, I also went there. Once. For the food, it was definitaly overpriced.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:18 PM   #20
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Well I can tell you from personal experience that "Outback" is a marketing dream. Almost a 3 billion dollar a year dream. The 10 original founders for it didnt dream it could be so good and now they are reaping the benefit's. They have over 600 Outbacks alone as well as Carabba's, Fleming's, Roy's, Cheeseburger in Paradise and Lee Roy Selmon's Restauraunts as well. Not bad for a cliche steakhouse. Outback has done it's research into thing's Australian and it has paid off, from the purple cieling's to the spices that are used. It may not be Australian but it is good dineing at a casual price, albiet a little on the high side of casual but not a bad penny.