Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

I've noticed alotta older things are better, like the older cars, alot of them look better than the newer ones, look at firebirds, cameros, corvettes, trans ams, they all look better in the older days, the vipers good, but other cars looked alot better the old ways, and what about movies, movies like loaded weapon and hot shots: part duex were @#$%ing hilarious, some newer movies are funny... I thought Rush Hour 2 was funny, Kung Pow, and a few others... but these older movies got them beat... its madd crazi to see newer stuff isn't as good... I mean technology's going up, wow... but what about video games? Super Nintendo's still one of the best systems out (for fun wise) but these newer games, alotta them have awesome graphics, can't complain about that, but when they try something new like on Zelda: Windwaker, people wont buy it cause of graphics?! what?! no!!!!! The game was madd fun!!! The super nintendo Zelda, was one of my favorite games, and still is, Super Metroid, a must try, for Super Nintendo, awesome game, with low graphics, but its madd fun... People go for graphics now, instead of the game's fun factor. I'm not saying all good graphic games are bad, cause Super Smash Brothers: Melee was awesome game with good graphics, but most games now a days... are just boring...
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 08-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Just wait until S.T.A.L.K.E.R Oblivion Lost hits the stores, that's graphic power and superior gameplay, all in one.

Take a peek, and don't forget to check out the screenshots. Unfortunately this game won't be here any sooner than next year.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

Well I own both a 96 Z28 and a 68 Mustang... and I think they both look great. Modern small blocks make big block power, and handling wise there's no comparison, modern iron crushes anything old you could drive short of a Shelby Cobra... and for a half mil you can crush that too. There are some other advangates to modern tech too, like owning a 400hp vehicle (slightly modified [img]smile.gif[/img] ) that still gets over 25mph highway (as long as I'm easy on the "go" pedal).

As for gaming, I like some of the older titles more not because they were better, but rather because they were my first games... and there was a childish "coolness" factor to them. These days I find it's hard to pick up a game that has anything NEW, most are rehashes of games done years ago with updated graphics. If it was the first time I'd played an empire building game I'd have thought Civilization III was totaly awesome, but since I've been playing those games since the origonal Empire (on a VAX terminaL) it was only "pretty good". SO... IMO it's not that the games aren't as good, it rather that I've been there already and want something NEW.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

I often think that way too and I concur that there may be some pretty stupid trends going on but in general we only think well of the old days because only the good stuff survived. I like listening to 60ies/70ies/80ies songs but when I look at the old billboard charts I find that the songs we remember aren't necessarily the same songs that dominated an era. There were bad TV shows, bad songs, bad books, bad movies, ugly cars and bad games back then but - thank god - nobody remembers them now.
Although I have to agree with the cars. Modern cars have given too much way to that sphere-like round design coming from Japan at first. I mean if you don't look close enough and don't know a lot about cars you can't separate a Mustang from a Honda or a Camaro from a Mazda. This was true for some middleclass or small vehicles back then but never for sports cars or luxury limos.
And then there's another thing modern cars lack: chrome. To substitute chrome with plastic is just the worst idea.
Don't get me wrong. Modern cars are more cost-efficient and comfortable and they probably have a better handling but their looks can never compare to a 1960 De Ville Convertible, a 1961 Corvette, a 1971 Riviera or the classic 1965 Mustang and I'm only talking US cars. I come from Europe and can assure you that I also suffer from design nightmares our car companies have gone into and I fear nothing will ever come where there were the Countach and the Esprit, the Ferraris of the 70ies, the first Porsche 911 or the BMW 507.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well what you say is perfectly logical since the more time that goes by the less difficult it is to come up with new and original ideas for games, films, books, car designs, whatever. However there are always some gems out there - new ideas that combine with old ideas which couldn't be implemented on old technology but are now possible.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 08-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Yeah...I drive a vintage '93 Nissan Axxess. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I think that, as Faceman said, we only remember the good stuff. After all, the 90s will be remembered as good because of such things as Baldur's Gate II, cures for all kinds of diseases, and such innovations as HDTV and the desktop. People won't remember the Spice Girls. Though they might remember Michael Jackson... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 05:54 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

These 'things were better in the old days' threads were better in the old days.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 06:06 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
These 'things were better in the old days' threads were better in the old days.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
ROTFL! Right on Epona. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, not all things new are bad. There are several good games released the latest years that are very good. It's all about perceptions.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #9
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

society's sucking..
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 09-04-2003, 02:30 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

What is the saddest of all, music is bad nowadays. Back in the seventies! You had the great stuff of legends and it was actually GOOD. But no, no more good Led, no more good Yes, no more good The Who... It is sad...