Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
badgertom
Welcomed New User

I set my mages to cast offensive spells at attackers but they just use their range weapons. What am I doing wrong. Please help.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Er, first off, what game are you playing? Second, it would be better to post this in the specific game forum. That said, [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

WELCOME TO IRONWORKS!!!

Old 12-22-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
Draten-Master of Fire and Ice
Dungeon Master

First of all, Badger, let me welcome you to Ironworks!! I think that you will find this to be a fun, informative, and...strangely addictive place to be-hope you stick around.

Next item up for bid is: what game are you playing?

--"suppose we built this large wooden badger..."
Old 12-22-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just wanna say welcome!!

Catch me if you can..
Old 12-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Assuming BG2, IWD, or some other infinity engined game, use the cast spell button at the bottom to cast magic. The included AI scripts are a little lacking and basicaly are not worth using.

The other thing is you may not have memorised to spells. You have to go into the spellbook/priest scroll screen and choose which ones to memorise. Its all covered in the manuals somewhere.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:23 AM   #6
Turnip_Water

mages? give em an uzi and forget those spell things

Old 12-23-2002, 07:28 AM   #7
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome!!!!

You don't play these games a lot then Turnip?
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:32 AM   #8
Turnip_Water

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
Welcome!!!!

You don't play these games a lot then Turnip?
don't have the time i'm afraid - at work break at the moment

is amusing to see guys wrapped up in them zapping away and swearing because they can't beat the big boss or whatever lol

Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've got to agree with andrewas on this one. I turned the Party AI off very early in BGII, because it was a bigger hassle than it was worth.

A lot of times I like to have one or two characters fire the opening salvo at the enemy and then retreat to draw them into a trap, but with AI on, ALL the members would start attacking automatically. After having my strategy thwarted for the umpteenth time by my own party members, I finally just turned it off for good. I found it is MUCH easier to direct all the members individually.

I also found that - unless there is a mage in the group you're fighting - the BEST strategy is to have everybody attack the same opponent at one time. I used to "divide my forces equally" among the enemy and that led to some long battles. Finally, in the Underdark, I just started concentrating all attacks on one opponent and found out I could wipe out the enemy forces much quicker that way.

The only time I deviate from this is when there is a spellcaster in the other group, then I do try and have at least one member fire missile weapons at them to disrupt their spellcasting.

Also, if you tell your mages to just fire offensive spells at the enemy, the computer will choose which spells get cast and may end up frying your fighters (who've advanced to melee) with a Fireball rather using a Magic Missile.

Go to the Options Screen and set the game to PAUSE WHEN ENEMY SIGHTED...this will give you plenty of time to decide your strategy and direct your characters actions.

P.S. - It would also be a good idea to let us know exactly which game your playing. That way the MODS can move this thread to the forum dedicated to that particular game. This will keep the threads in the proper areas and will also result in a LOT more specific advice and wisdom from members who are currently playing the same game.

[ 12-23-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]