Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-24-2001, 06:56 PM   #1
mtap
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm in the lower caverns, dungeon, and solved the riddle of the bridge for the guardian and went across to be attacked by the 3 red circled eye thing "gauth" that shoots out something?? He's kicking my butt!!! Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2001, 07:09 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
I am assuming this is the first time you play (hence on cloak of mirror, you can also buy shield of baldrun for the collector's CD merchants), so let's keep things simple and try to summon fire elementals and let them walk across the bridge alone. If you have party AI on, the fire elementals will engage the Gauths immediately. They are probably one of the best summon critters against beholders and their kins. The will be immune to a good part of Gauth's attacks. Hope you have Jaheria in your party.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-24-2001, 07:11 PM   #3
Titan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try taking them out one at a time. Cross the bridge slow so only one sees you at a time. Run back, surround it, and beat the snot out of it. Repeat until done.

---------------

Titan- Servant of Power!
Old 03-24-2001, 07:11 PM   #4
Sherpa Doug
Dungeon Master

Those Gauths are nasty! I don't quite remember where you are, but I recommend summoning animals, preferably mountain bears. Try to attack them one at a time, but that is not always possible.

Good Luck, Sherpa Doug
Old 03-24-2001, 07:17 PM   #5
white heron
Manshoon

If you go to www.bgdungeon.com you can download a zip with the bonus merchants,-its a tiny download containing 2 tiny files which you unzip to your 'overrides' folder which is in your main BG2 folder.
These files give you 2 extra merchants in the game.One is in the Adventurers mart ,and the other is in the copper Coronet.
You can buy the 'shield of Balduran'from the new merchant in the Adventurers mart,which will help with your problem.
-You could also try turning invisible and sneaking past those gauths.

------------------
"The temple is I and I am the temple".
Old 03-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #6
diesel44
Dungeon Master

Are these bonus merchants a cheat? What is the bonus CD?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2001, 12:39 AM   #7
BG2SOA

I have a ring that summons a jinni once per day,so thats how I beat the Gauth.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:50 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Keep in mind that gauth do drain charges from magic items, kind of like a nishruu. If you're low level the divide and conquer strategy is probably the best way, along with summoning some cannon fodder.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-27-2001, 11:38 PM   #9
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

I used Aerie & Nalia(Sp?) I had them cast improved invis on themselves then moved Aerie to the edge of the bridge kept Nalia about 15 ft behind her. Aerie cast fire ball, then retreated about 15-20ft behind Nalia. Nalia cast fire ball, then retreated. Guaths & beholders will advance, repeat fire ball and retreat until you got fried eyeballs for dinner. Personaly I would much ruther(sp?) face a dragon, demon, or vamp than guaths & beholders. I don't know what thier attack rate is but they attack MUCH faster at range than your party can. Either blast them from a distance and fall back, or pray that you can close any distance with them quickly. Their A/C is around 8-10 so they are esaily hit, it's just a bear getting close to them.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:41 PM   #10
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by diesel44:
Are these bonus merchants a cheat? What is the bonus CD? Thanks
No they're not. They came with the pre-order & collector's editions (they are separate editions) of BG2 but are not present in the normal copy of BG2.