Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 07:09 AM   #1
dharmastum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I can't seem to get this guy. I've read the other posts, and would be able to do it, but my fighters keep running away from dragon fear. my magic users are able to pull their weight, but I'm running out of spells by the time he's down to the 'badly wounded' stage. it's a real pain when my bad-ass half-orc barbarian won't even get into the fight. he doesn't even get to take a swing at him. I hate dragons. what's a good spell to keep him in the game?

thanks,
greg
dharmastum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

1st level cleric spell "Remove Fear" will stiffen your barbarian's spine. Have your cleric memorize a boatload of them. More valuable in this battle than any of the other 1st level cleric spells.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:41 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Also, if you still have the worg collar from the gobbie attack at Targos, be sure someone wears it; the collar makes you immune to fear and panic.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
Guinness
The Magister

Ok this is just my 2 cents worth on this guardian..... got to say it is a bit more interesting than the previous dragons you encounter earlier in the game.

Spell required.
mass haste
Ot's Res sphere (about 3-4 will do)
diving shell (cleric spell)
any summon spell (again about 4)
lower resistance (not sure if this can be stacked but take a few)
malison (if u have greater malison better still, but i haven't seen it)
spiked stones (if you have a druid)
any wall type spells if you don't

Tools needed
as previously mentioned, houndstooth collar (stick it on your spell caster!)
rings of acid resistance, put them to good use!
Doom bolter or other decent missile weapons + sure strike missiles or > +3 If you haven't got them, head thru the portal back to Conlan (Now you know why the guy suddenly has all these super weapons in his shop....!!!!)

-----------------------
Do all the protection stuff u need, inc mass haste
summon ONE (1) monster/undead
move the monster to the top of the stairs and "sphere" it.
all the party is off the alter except one to summon the "guardian"

Once Guardian is out, he will be blocked by the sphered monster. spread your guys out and pelt the daylights out of him.

Lower resistance and malison should enable most spells to hurt the wrym.

spiked ground is a nice one to slowly chip away his HPs.

REMEMBER TO SUMMON ANOTHER MONSTER TO BLOCK THE WAY AND SPHERE IT BEFORE THE CURRENT ONE RUNS OUT.
-----------------------------

I didn't try this but maybe a summon elemental behind the wyrm might be useful too. Not usre if it can cause any damage though....
Anyone tried?

Any other comments on how others killed this Guardian?????
Old 10-24-2002, 03:26 PM   #5
nameless crazy
Dungeon Master

I just finished the guardian. In my game of 3 char (11 monk/3 rogue, 2 paladin/12 sorcerer, 9 cleric/7 druid), i first summoned 3 undead out (i used it since it has long duration). Then I buffed my monk and his ac is 54 be4 the fight. I then use my monk to activate the ritual and use him to tank the guardian. The sorcerer drops 3-4 lower resistance to it but not much othe spells is casted. The cleric just stand there with nothing to do......when all undead died the guardian was already badly wounded. My monk did get panic twice due to critical failure (I forgot I had the collar.....). The interesting thing is: when the guardian is almost dead my monk got paniced again, then my sorcerer cast a magic missile and the guardian drops! During the battle my monk drank 4 potions of extra healing......the highest no. of potion I have used by far.
nameless crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
Guinness
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by nameless crazy:
I just finished the guardian. In my game of 3 char (11 monk/3 rogue, 2 paladin/12 sorcerer, 9 cleric/7 druid), i first summoned 3 undead out (i used it since it has long duration). Then I buffed my monk and his ac is 54 be4 the fight. I then use my monk to activate the ritual and use him to tank the guardian. The sorcerer drops 3-4 lower resistance to it but not much othe spells is casted. The cleric just stand there with nothing to do......when all undead died the guardian was already badly wounded. My monk did get panic twice due to critical failure (I forgot I had the collar.....). The interesting thing is: when the guardian is almost dead my monk got paniced again, then my sorcerer cast a magic missile and the guardian drops! During the battle my monk drank 4 potions of extra healing......the highest no. of potion I have used by far.
No offence intended, but what difficulty u playing???? Only 4 potions? i have a party of 6 and my cleric was practically non stop healing my characters.....
Old 10-25-2002, 12:19 AM   #7
nameless crazy
Dungeon Master

The default difficulty (I dunno what exactly it is since i didn't change the diff. setting).
BTW my monk is using the brilliant short sword +5 from battle sq. since my multiclass crippled my unarmed attack bonus......so no need to stay with unarm IMO.
nameless crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I defeated the Guardian the easy way--Disintegrate. *poof* No fuss, no mess. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

Now if only I could get through that stupid portal. My party gets there just fine, but no one can go through. I cannot save because the game is waiting for dialogue. What's worse is that I cannot even use the "MoveToArea" cheat and jump back to Kuldahar. *sigh* I might have to fight the Guardian again.... [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:44 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Have you tried going into the Yuan-Ti temple and coming out again? If you can do that, it might clear up the problem.

The only thing that comes up after the dragon is dead is a message that you killed it, that you get some acid resistance, and you better hustle to the portal before it closes. It also does an auto-rest if anyone is injured, though not if the party is too scattered (like having some by the temple and others at the portal).

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:36 AM   #10
Imrahil
Elminster

I share your frustration with The Guardian. [img]smile.gif[/img] It took me 5 reloads to beat him. Eventually, what I found to be effective is...

- a few summoned monsters to take the initial heat off your actual fighters
- Mordenkainen's Force Missiles - a lot of them
- Improved Haste (& any other buffs you have available, but that one in particular, because...)
- your Cleric loaded up with as many Heal spells as you can hold, sitting in the back, waiting for wounded fighters to Haste it on back to be Healed, then right back into the fray
- any Protection from Acid scrolls you've accumulated
- potions - I had used hardly any of my Heroism, Minor Elemental Barrier, etc. potions & just had them sitting in my Potion Bag, but finally brought them all out for this battle (after the 3rd or 4th try)
- +5 To Hit missiles - I forget the name, but the arrows/bullets that have a +5 to determine what they can hit (though no special damage)? use those...
- this is repetitive, but keep your Cleric in the back, doing nothing but Healing the latest target who's taken a lot of damage then retreated

If nothing else, reload, try & try again... it worked for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote