Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2001, 08:15 PM   #1
RAISTLIN OHF

I have seen a number of people reference taking a character to a dual class at some point in the game. With no particular character or class in mind how do you detrmine what the optimal time to dual is? There seem to have been different opinions.

Old 02-27-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Not to dual..
Old 02-27-2001, 08:26 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I always want to dual after level 9, to ensure max hitpoints are achieved. Other factors to consider:
1) Did you install the exp cap remover? For example, for fighter/mages, I prefer to dual at levels such as 13 and above since I am no longer restricted by the exp cap. Hence I get a character who have more weapon slot proficiencies and can also be a great mage.
2) Anticipation of the expansion. With the upcoming expansion, it is likely the exp cap will be increased. Similar concept to #1.
3) If you do not plan to install the exp cap remover, than make sure you use the character development chart well provided in the manual. Keep in mind the 1st class's benefits will not come back until the 2nd class is at least 1 level higher than the first class. Try not to waste exp points (remember you only have 2,950,000), optimize between the two classes so that the "extra" unused exp points for the 2nd class is minimized.
4) Composition of your party, (again I am using a fighter/mage as example), if you already have 2 or more fighters in the party, it will be a good idea to dual the fighter at earlier stage/level (e.g. level 9)since your party will probably benefit more from a mage. For a party with 2 or more mages, you might want to dual class at later level (e.g. level 13)since a more tank-like character might be appropriate. As many others have side, "balance" is the key.
Old 02-27-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
RAISTLIN OHF

Wow yorick, i just don't know what to say. Never has a man said so much and so little at the same time.

Accord thanks for the lesson. I have a better grip on it now. Next time I play I will put that knowledge to use. As for now I am on a BGII "time out"

My wife is upset with the time spent

Old 02-28-2001, 02:52 AM   #5
Sylent

I dualed my fighter at level 7, to mage...
If I had have thought about it a little more, I would have waited until level 9, or some other such level, but I didn't.
I just thought dual classing was a win-win situation, and I left it at that.
My fighting abilities are pretty good, but my HP is pretty low, which sucks.

To Dual!!

Old 02-28-2001, 07:42 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Raistlin, it all depends on what you're dualing from and to. If you are dualing from kensai to mage you would do it at Level 9 because you will max out your mage levels dualing at that level. It's basically a formula:

Old XP + New XP = 2.95million

Obviously this will differ from class to class.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame