Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I'm asking because I'm considering setting up an account to donate, probably via credit card. But the only thing that's stopping me is the potential security risk.
So I'd like yo hear from persons who have used the service to share your experience.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Paypal quite secure. Ebay owns it, .... wait nevermind that doesn't help much does it?

Anyways Paypal is a secure method of payment widely used.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 02-04-2004, 01:49 AM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

It's a SSL 128 bit encyrption layered site. Use it, but always log off, then close your browser before surfing again. You should do that after any SSL site by the way.
Remember, only scammers send out e-mails requesting you to verify this or that once an account is established.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It's safe i have used it for years no problem [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

How does PayPal actually work? Do you open a PayPal account and then move money to it from another bank account or do you pay directly from the bank account? Do you need a credit card to use PayPal?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

PayPal is very secure. I've used it for 1.5 years with no problems at all.

It IS linked to a bank account or credit card...but a lot of the sellers on eBay won't accept payment if it is linked to a credit card only.

When you want to put money in your PayPal account, you just click on the tab that says Add Funds. Then type in the amount you want to add. This will initiate an electronic transfer of funds from your bank account to the PayPal account. The funds in PayPal can then be used however you see fit - whether it be paying for an eBay auction or sending donations to IW.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Thanks Cerek! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

How do they make money? Say I donate $100 or pay $100 using PayPal to someone. Do they get a commission, meaning that the intended receipient gets less than $100? What's the quantum of the cut? I'm not using the service if say 10 cents out of every dollar goes to PayPal.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #9
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Hayashi:
How do they make money? Say I donate $100 or pay $100 using PayPal to someone. Do they get a commission, meaning that the intended receipient gets less than $100? What's the quantum of the cut? I'm not using the service if say 10 cents out of every dollar goes to PayPal.
Strange as it sounds, I've only ever received money from Paypal. I got $5 for signing up and I've also gotten a dollar or two seemingly randomly here and there. Their service is completely free as far as I know - the only time they ever charge you is if:

A) You draw out money from your Paypal account through an ATM (with their own special ATM card). This costs $1.

B) You request a check from them when withdrawing funds from your account ($1.50).
Old 02-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #10
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Paypal gets it's money through the international lines. It costs to change currency through Paypal. That's where they make their money.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com