Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man manikus' status

I thought I'd drop a quick note to let folks know that I most likely won't be around the forum in the same way I have been for the following month or so.

I had a hard drive (the hard drive) die on my Windows machine. Let me tell you, losing 120 Gigs is painful! Don't worry, all important data was backed up on a different drive. But, only the most important data. I've lost all of my programs and lots of graphics.

It will be at least the end of January before I can afford to buy a new one. I may be able to acquire a used one from one of my classmates when school starts back up in a week and a half, but I won't know until then. Most likely when I can get back up, I will be running linux (like the laptop I'm writing this on). But, I may decide to run Server 2008 - I've got some time to think about it. Actually, I'll probably end up creating a dual boot system or a linux base with Server 2008 as a VM.

Does this mean I'm done with DC? Absolutely not. The art will continue to happen as always as will the documentation and we'll just have to wait and see about the rest.

So, is anyone working on porting DC to linux?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Arcalian
Dungeon Master

Default Re: manikus' status

I'm so sorry.

Hang in there!!
Arcalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

It really sucks to lose 120 gigs but, the drive may be slavageable. I've got my fingers crossed and as soon as I'm home from vacation, I'll be at work on this issue full time until I can determine one way or another if I must wait to buy a new drive.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Damn... that sucks, manikus! Hard drive death really bites...

Once upon a time, I had been working on a RPG Tsukuuru 2000 game back when I was still in NJ... I had all these nice graphics (including huge portraits) made, when the HD died on me Of course, I had NOTHING backed up at all, which really, really sucked... Never went back to finish that game

Since then, I have always put backups of art on the web so that I could always at least salvage it from there!

Anyway, hoping you can salvage most of that stuff back!

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

All of my 3D stuff is gone.

All of my DC stuff appears to be okay.

I had around 85 gigs of 3D stuff on the drive, so I doubt I can recover most of it. But, never fear, everything I ever spent money on and most that I didn't have their source backed up on CD or DVD, I just have to reinstall. Um, that is really going to suck hard. I am only even going to try and reinstall a portion of it and set about recreating what I can for my DC related stuff...All of the official portraits are now done (except for what I haven't uploaded) in that I can no longer make tweaks in the 3D environment as those files are gone. That also means that there are only one or two more icons coming that match the portraits...unless someone else takes up the cause.

I still can't get an OS to install on the hard drive - so it will probably be a month or two before I'm doing anything that requires the desktop computer, i.e. no art, no DC testing/playing/designing. Hopefully I'lll be able to report by the new year that I do have something running and all is good again in Stumptown.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Ah... 3D files can be huge, I imagine...

Good thing you already uploaded a lot of the portraits/small pics, at least...

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

"A lot" is a relative term. I had only uploaded a small amount of what I'd been working on, as quite a bit was in various stages of being finished.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Arcalian
Dungeon Master

Well at least your DC stuff is intact for the most part, and that's a good thing!
Arcalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

All in all, I'm not too unhappy. Everything important was backed up, except for the 3D stuff and most of that was data.

Now, I just have to get an OS running.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Yeah, I've periodically zipped up stuff and saved it on a flash drive. Just bought an external zip drive (750 mg I think) which will make saving things easier. I need to do this again, tho.

Sorry to hear about your main HD going down. Don't lose heart and give up on us here at DC (or go to the dark side (WOW ))

ST