Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting - you may use it to save yourself but it might mean you couldn't have kids again. Views?

Quote:
Thalidomide used to beat cancer
Thalidomide, a drug that became notorious for causing severe birth defects in the 1950s and early 1960s, could change the face of cancer treatment, according to Australian researchers.
Thalidomide was withdrawn from sale in 1961 after the drug, commonly prescribed for morning sickness, was found to cause severe birth defects.
Australian researchers began a trial of the controversial drug in April 2002, involving 224 cancer patients over a two-year period.
The study found Thalidomide sparked a doubling of the number of T-cells in patients. This allowed their own immune system to attack and fight the cancer.
"This is huge," said Professor Doug Joshua, the head of haematology at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
"We have shown that T-cells, an important part of our immune system, can be used to fight against the myeloma cells, an action stimulated by Thalidomide.
"We are also modifying natural killer cells, which normally protect the body against tumours and viruses, and redirecting killer activity to exclusively attack myeloma cells.
"We hope this will lead to the first forms of curative therapy for the disease which can then be applied to other forms of cancer."
A cancer of the bone marrow that destroys bones and causes kidney failure, myeloma effects about 1,200 new Australians each year.
Mark, 48, who asked his surname not be published, was first diagnosed with myeloma in April, 1996.
As part of the study, he began using Thalidomide daily in November, 2003, and is now in complete remission.
Mark said he was happy to use the controversial drug as long as it helped him to beat the cancer.
"You've just got to be rational about it," he said.
"I will stay on it until it stops working and so far it's been working well."
Despite feeling lethargic at times, Mark said the drug's side-effects were minimal.
"Sometimes I get tired and my motor skills aren't as good as they used to be. No one else would notice it but me.
"I notice it when I'm playing tennis. I can feel it in my hands," he said.
Prof Joshua said the first stage of the research, which still has another six to 12 months to run, would be presented at the 10th annual conference on myeloma, to be held in Sydney from Sunday to Thursday.

Source: Click here
From www.yahoo.com.au

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

Why exactly would it mean you couldn't have kids again? Thalidomide will be flushed from your system in a few weeks once you stop taking it.

[ 04-09-2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Interesting - you may use it to save yourself but it might mean you couldn't have kids again. Views?
If you're dead you can't have kids anyway, right...?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote