Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2003, 10:25 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin from Amber:
Pick up two friends and go to the next bar and order three beers.

After ordering 14 times more, you will recognize that "xp" has been
removed completely from your brain.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

But the shotgun will be quicker

On a more serious note a friend has suggested a cd cleaner for the player. Are these good? do they scratch the lens? Or are they like a video cleaner, in the long run they do more harm tham good.

Secondly. How do I get rid of the scratch on the CD. It does not apear to be too deep. I seem to recall an old wives tale of toothpaste or something to fill in the scratch?

Any tips will be apreciated [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 04-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #12
andrewas
Harper

Toothpaste?

Dont try that. You will either have to find somewhere that does disc resurfacing, or you will have to find a CD repair kit. The latter come in dirt cheap form, a bottle of resin and a piece of glasspaper, or a more expensive "disc doctor" where you just put in the disc and turn the handle. Either should work if the scratch dosent reach the data surface - the silver bit.

The cd cleaner is a good idea. They have been known to damage CD-R drives, which have a more delicate lens assembly, but a plain CDROM is safe. I see you have a CD-R. To be honest, I've never had any problems cleaning a CD-R myself, but then Ive only done it the once.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If you just did the upgrade, then I would understand why it isn't reliable. Many of my techie friends made sure I would not use the cheaper upgrade method when I went to XP. Instead, they all suggested I do a clean install...which I did.
Also, I have heard that ME to XP is the worst of all in dealing with malfunctions (updgrade version).
Old 04-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #14
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

ok i have an xp fot the moment it runs well and no bad things happen at all but this is my third... xp pc and its my third beacuse of the other 2 was messy the first one BLEW up dont ask me how cus i dont now but it said BOOm and everything started smoking and it shut of. the second one didnt work when they shipped i couldnt even start the darn thing and the third one has been going good for 2 months but it is starting to sound a bit wierd after i have had it on fro about 3 hours....so i say we get 2 sawed of shotguns shoot billgates then our computers and then billgates co workers..moahahhahaahhaha
Old 04-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yeah, windows product is not perfect. too bad overhere we have no choice to select. we must choose windows product.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:38 AM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i love win xp... too bad this time around... xp got caught up in this crime on where he is not involved... he hasn't wreaked havoc yet and you already blame him!!! he is innocent!!!

but he should consider it a warning though if he indeed messes up...
Old 04-15-2003, 02:38 AM   #17
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Is it safe to upgrade to XP directly from win 98? 'Cause I really don't want to format my HD.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:47 AM   #18
andrewas
Harper

No. WinXP upgrade waorks, but the result isnt reliable. This is probably responsible for many reports of XP instability.

Whenever Ive installed it on modern hardware, by doing a clean install, Ive had no problems. To upgrade is to ask for trouble.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:06 AM   #19
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

DAMN! well if i get drivers for my stuff then have to format then how am I supposed to install them? (i dont think i should trust the XP drivers fully from what i have heard)
Old 04-15-2003, 03:16 AM   #20
andrewas
Harper

The XP drivers always run and are supposedly always stable for standard use. Its just when you load up a game that you start to run into massive problems. OS you could use them for downloading the replacements. Other than that, burn them to CD or something.