Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Similar type games to ID and BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Thanks for all the replies, been a big help. I'll get both ID2 and Planescape, these should keep me going for a year or two. Next time I post is when i get stuck!
If you can, play Planescape first, as this is older and the modified engine of IWD2 may spoil you too much to come back.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: Similar type games to ID and BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
But it takes place in the Planescape setting doesn't it? Sigil resides in the center of the multiverse according to manual of the planes.
I may have this wrong, but to me the entire fantasy world owned by WotC is known as the Forgotten Realms... but maybe that appellation should only be used if the setting is the planet Abeir-Toril.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
I may have this wrong, but to me the entire fantasy world owned by WotC is known as the Forgotten Realms... but maybe that appellation should only be used if the setting is the planet Abeir-Toril.
Right. If the planet is Abeir-Torel, then it is Forgotten Realms. If It's Krynn, we're talking the Dragonlance setting and so forth. Now, Planescape is different in the fact that people from any of these settings could technically be there in Sigil since it is a hub city, the city of doors. So a book may feature a character from FR adventuring in the Planescape setting. Or a character from Ravenloft. But usually (depending on how much takes place in Planescape setting) the title will shift to the "Planescape Setting". At least, that's how I understand it. Now, they may have changed things with 4e.

Look at it kinda like Ravenloft, where any D&D character from any campaign setting can end up there as the mists appear in their world and drag them in.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: Similar type games to ID and BG

Yeah I understand what you mean about playing Planescape first. I have now ordered ID2 and will get Planescape this week but will play ID2 first then P as I will after that go back to play ID2 again.
By the way i have no idea what you two have been talking about and for me to try and understand it would be opening up a whole new world of pain for me.
Thanks again for your help.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #15
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Heh, if I read those threads before I started playing PS:T I would've been confused too. But the gamedoes an excellent job of explaining the basics through various conversations you can have with characters, so it all makes sense to me.
You should be aware though that PS:T is not your typical hack n slash like the IWD series. While there is combat, the beauty of the game is in its plot, and the excellent conversations you can have with the many NPCs that dot the game.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah i was reading about Planescape and it was saying about the plot and need for conversations and need for high wisdom and intelligence. Seems totally different to ID 2 which is by alot of hack/slash. I personally prefer the more plot based games but i just love the gameplay of the ID games ie character building, spells etc. I'm sure P will be similar so i will def play it. Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

You may want to play the first two original fallout games as well if you haven't already. They share the isometric perspective but have a more pure turn based combat with an emphasis on cause and consequence in choices. I played them after all of the infinity engine games and thoroughly enjoyed them - they link up nicely with those games (the classic interplay/black isle era) and are a nice change of pace/setting.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention Darklands (1992) as well. That's an oldie but a classic and definitely an inspiration behind the Baldur's Gate's RTwP style of combat. (Real-time with pause)
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 12-16-2010 at 11:57 AM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for that - i won't mention the cricket! I'll check out fallout and darklands but you made a good point about real time play with the option to pause (mid-battle). Do you know if this option is available in Planescape & ID2 as I tend to use it alot, otherwise things get to frantic and out of control.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Thanks for that - i won't mention the cricket! I'll check out fallout and darklands but you made a good point about real time play with the option to pause (mid-battle). Do you know if this option is available in Planescape & ID2 as I tend to use it alot, otherwise things get to frantic and out of control.
Yes it is, of course.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Darklands - is it even available?
I'm thinking also that running it on today's systems would be tough, since it was an MS-DOS game!