Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
MR:Sweden
Welcomed New User

i just got baldurs gate yesterday,i wonder if someone can give me some tips on
how to fight with more then one caracther.and i just finished diablo 2 expansion set.can some one recommend some good rpg games.
thanks.
MR:Sweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

hello and welcome [img]smile.gif[/img]

to start with you can't do better than this (from the ironworks BG (shadows of amn) FAQ

http://www.geocities.com/sixospades/bg/bgguide.htm

other than that just give it a go
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Welcome, MR:Sweden, to the finest Forum on the net. The people here are friendly, helpful, and courteous. To learn how to fight with more than one character I first recommend learning the icons on the bottom of the player screen. It should show the weapons available for your character to use. Also thieving abilitities and spells are accessed here. Now, and this is important, learn to use the spacebar. When you go into a fight hit the spacebar to pause the game. Next, click on each character that you want fight. If they are going to use a weapon then highlight the weapon icon and a sword cursor will appear. Place the sword cursor on your enemy and click it. Do it for as many party members as you need/want. If you are going to cast a spell then click on the spell icon, select spell, and another cursor that looks like a quarter moon with an arrow will appear. Place this cursor on your enemy and click it. Once you have all your party members doing what you want then hit the spacebar again and the fight begins. Remember, you can pause the game at any time and change your tactics. Also, SAVE OFTEN!

As for RPG's, then I recommend Baldur's Gate 2 once you get done BG1. If your Baldur's Gate 1 doesn't have the add-on Tales of the Sword Coast then I highly recommend this addition. However, and this is important, you must finish Tales before you finish BG1. You cannot access Tales if you finish the main story of Baldur's Gate. And don't try and tackle Tales with your party members any less than 5th level. Most people tackle this add-on either after they finish chapter 5 or 6 of BG1, but before chapter 7.

If you like Diablo then I believe you would really like Westwood's older game NOX (which you can find cheap) and Larian Studios neat game Divine Divinity. With your experience at Diablo you should pick up on the game play with these two easily.

[ 05-24-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

What Albromor said, and a very brief starter guide:
  • Be a Paladin
  • When rolling your stats, be sure to put the maximum amount in Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution
  • Having a low Armor Class is GOOD
  • If you see a creature with a red circle around its feet, click on it
  • Don't kill innocents (Peasant, Commoner, Nobleman, Beggar, etc.)
  • Use Pause a lot
  • Try not to let anybody die
  • Don't be afraid to run away if you have to
Welcome to Ironworks, and have fun!
Old 05-25-2003, 02:02 AM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Also, walk around the area that you start at, and speak to all of the monks in green robes. The starting area is one big tutorial on how to play the game. There's even a place to practice party combat. Definitely explore the starting area completely, doing all of the quests/activities presented and speaking to everyone. Plus, it is worth xp to do the quests, so it definitely doesn't hurt! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree with SixofSpades about the Paladin, as they tend to have high stats and Lay on Hands and Protection from Evil are both very useful. Alternately, you could play a fighter, but don't neglect your charisma (you are the group leader, after all). Once you get the hang of the game, then you could always start over as another character type.

Make sure you pick up Tales of the Sword Coast. It is probably one of the toughest CRPG areas I have ever seen; if you can handle that expansion, you can handle anything else Bioware throws at you. I'm not stating that to scare you; if you go there towards the end of the game, you can handle it. However, it is challenging, and ultimately more rewarding, to play with the expansion added to the game.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Most gamers will say that this game (BG & TotSC) is ATLEAST in the top 3 for the best CRPGs ever created.

Some, including myself, think it's the best RPG (excluding PnP) - period.

Much of the game's allure comes from it's storyline and the feeling of, "being lost in the BIG scary World", which it so wonderfully produces.

So this leads to the primary point that I want to make about the game, DO NOT CHEAT!

The wonderful atmosphere and feeling of accomplishment that you will receive during the game will most certainly be negated if you decide to cheat.

The game will get very difficult at times, even frustrating, but cheating will definitly draw the value of the game way down to the level of say.... Diablo2.

Now if you want to eventualy cheat then that is fine and up to you, but you really ought to avoid it until you have beat the game (or almost beat the game) first. Blah blah blah... enjoy the game MR:Sweden! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 04:50 AM   #7
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Welcome to you MR:Sweden
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

If you are still in the city of Candlekeep, you would not be able to have more than one character in your party (except for the practising with a 6 member party mentioned above). Later you will meet NPCs that want to join you.

[img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img]
Insane
Old 05-26-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
Vedran
Lord Soth

It is easy to find tough enemies at the beginning. Running and loading are your best friends then. Also, learn to scout ahead with thieves, rangers or mages.

Armor class, THAC0 and saving throws are better if lower. Resistances, hit points , reputation and abilities are better if higher. But why am I telling this? Go see Six' site above.

And I beg you, don't read walkthrougs or any spoiling materials. I did. I ruined the whole gaming experience.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #9
Myrddin L'argenton
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
It is easy to find tough enemies at the beginning. Running and loading are your best friends then. Also, learn to scout ahead with thieves, rangers or mages.

Armor class, THAC0 and saving throws are better if lower. Resistances, hit points , reputation and abilities are better if higher. But why am I telling this? Go see Six' site above.

And I beg you, don't read walkthrougs or any spoiling materials. I did. I ruined the whole gaming experience.
Posting on forums like this is a good idea as well, welcome anyway [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] , see I did it right this time Insanebane [img]graemlins/greenbounce.gif[/img] take advice in because it helps a lot and don't be afraid to ask for help! Just make sure that you ask questions that won't be answered before and remember to read the manual!
White wild magic graven in every rock, for the white gold wielder to unleash or control. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant<br />\'Let no man be unworthy of the angel that watches over him.\' Steven Donaldson<br />Accept who you are.<br />Lord Paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.<br />Walkthrough-online\'s new site<br />[url]\"http://forums.clankiller.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://forums.clankiller.com</a>
Myrddin L'argenton is offline   Reply With Quote