Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 AM   #11
Vassago
Manshoon

Here is what I decided on:

Krager Male Human Barbarian X/Fighter 4 Neutral Good
17/17/16/10/10/6
Feats: Intimidate & Wilderness Lore
Skills: Heroic Inspiration & Martial Weapon: Axe
Weapons: Axe

*Will start off as a Barbarian then take 4 levels of Fighter, then back to Barbarian for the rest.

Alessa Female Aasimar Monk of the old Order Lawful Neutral
12/18/14/10/20/6
Feats: Hide & Move Silently
Skills: Dodge
Weapons: Hands & Darts

Vassago Male Strongheart Hafling Rogue X/ Fighter 4 Neutral Evil
12/20/14/16/10/6
Feats: Pick Pocket, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Open Lock & Move Silently
Skills: Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapons: Dual-wield Small Blades & Short Bow

*Will start off as a Rogue, then take 4 levels of Fighter and then continue on w/ Rogue.

Jeniver Female Aasimar Druid True Neutral
12/12/18/10/20/8
Feats: Concentration & Wilderness Lore
Skills: Improved Initative
Weapons: Mace & Sling

Nexus Male Rock Gnome Lawful Good
10/10/20/10/8/18
Feats: Diplomacy & Concentration
Skills: Armor Proficiency
Weapons: Small Blades & Crossbow
Old 10-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #12
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

About your party, let me add some comments.

KRAGER

Fighter 4 / Barbarian X is a superior combo. Dwarves are the best warrior race in my opinion. Half-orcs second, IMO. You may disincrease your DEX because full plate gives you only +1 dex bonus. STR and CON are really important. I like to keep them at 18. You may reduce CHA and INT but never have a WISDOM below 10!

One more thing, it's a good idea to use 2 type of weapon. For ex, hammers and axes. Swords and maces. Some monsters take bonus damage from bludgeon weapons. Some resist first 10 damage.

ALESSA

With a higher STR, your monk will be more devastating. STR is really important.

HINT: Pick human race and set your INT to 3. Well, still you get +2 skill points per level and you get +7 ability points more [img]smile.gif[/img]

VASSAGO

20 DEX is superior! Exactly! But 12 INT will be enough for your rogue. 16 INT is too much. You can raise your STR and CON by 2.

I dont like dodge feat. It gives only 1 AC.

Rogue/Fighter is a good combo. But dual-wielding (which requires 2 feats) is free if you take 1 level of ranger. So take 4 fighter/3 ranger (to avoid xp penalty) and 10 rogue. 10 levels of rogue is enough, trust me..

JENIVER

Great Stats. For feat, improved intiative is not very useful, IMO.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 12:41 PM   #13
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I see a lot of people going for dual-wielding, but for fighters, give me a potent two-handed weapon (especially once out of chapter 1). They do more damage to begin with, and you get half-again your strength bonus. With a great axe and a strength of 18, you'd be doing 1d12 + 6 every hit. With a greatsword, 2d6 + 6.

I tried one fighter as a dual-weapon character (human, so he had 3 feats at 1st level; took ambi and 2-weapon feats). I didn't think he was as good as the fighters with 2-handers.

Also, once you get up to a BAB of 5 attacks per round, that's it. You can't get 6, so dual-weapon isn't so useful.

For rogues, though, dual weapons can be very useful.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:48 PM   #14
Yggdrasil
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
I see a lot of people going for dual-wielding, but for fighters, give me a potent two-handed weapon (especially once out of chapter 1). They do more damage to begin with, and you get half-again your strength bonus. With a great axe and a strength of 18, you'd be doing 1d12 + 6 every hit. With a greatsword, 2d6 + 6.

I tried one fighter as a dual-weapon character (human, so he had 3 feats at 1st level; took ambi and 2-weapon feats). I didn't think he was as good as the fighters with 2-handers.

Also, once you get up to a BAB of 5 attacks per round, that's it. You can't get 6, so dual-weapon isn't so useful.

For rogues, though, dual weapons can be very useful.

Nightowl2
Agree with you on the dual-wielding issue. I'm on my first game -just entering the ice temple. The tanks are a half-orc barbarian/fighter (str 21 - wielding Executioner's Wife) and a duergar fighter (str 18 - wielding Wandering Sky). They do massive, massive damage. Have an elf ranger dual wielding the moonsword and a magical short sword (forget the name); while she gets a lot of hits, the tanks wielding 2H weapons are truly awesome.

Aside: seems to me anyone could take a level in ranger just to get the dual-wield proficiency. Is this true or no?
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:45 PM   #15
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yep, anyone can dual over to Ranger and get the two-weapon feat in light or no armor. Rather a loophole there, but in computer games, one should take any loophole they can get. In a real face-to-game, I'd never allow stuff like that to happen.

Nightowl2
Old 10-28-2002, 03:32 PM   #16
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

My aasmir paladin wields 2-handed sword, dwarven fighter 2-handed axe. They rock [img]smile.gif[/img] ) But for role-playing my ranger/rogue is dual-wielding. She's a sneak attacker [img]smile.gif[/img] ) She'll never have 5 BAB so dual wielding is a good option for her. also she has the benefit of 2 weapons. I like to purchase the short sword bonus merchant deirdre is selling. it's awesome..
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:40 PM   #17
Vassago
Manshoon

I thought about it and decided to rework my Monk and Rogue:

Alessa Female Human Monk of the Old Order Lawful Neutral
16/18/16/4/18/4
Feats: Hide & Move Silently
Skills: Dodge

Vassago Male Strongheart Hafling Rogue 10/ Ranger X / Fighter X Neutral Evil
12/20/14/16/10/6
Feats: Pick Pocket, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Open Lock & Move Silently
Skills: Undecided
Weapons: Small Blades & Short Bow

My Rogue will start out w/ Rogue, take one level in Ranger and finish out his Rogue levels and then start on Fighter. I am starting out on Insane difficulty so that I get more creatures to fight. Any ideas on what level my characters will be if I can stick it out on Insane difficulty?

Thanks for the advice...
Vassago

[ 10-28-2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 10-28-2002, 05:54 PM   #18
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Remember to keep the fighter and ranger classes within one of each other so you don't invoke the experience penalty.

As for insane difficulty, that's much the same as normal modes, the monsters just hit harder, and the treasure may be slightly better. Experience is about the same. You have no idea how disappointed I was when the first gobbie we killed at the docks was the same old 37 points.

Nightowl2
Old 10-29-2002, 11:12 AM   #19
Vassago
Manshoon

I thought that w/ the higher difficulty settings you also got additional monsters to fight. Is that not true? The only reason I play the more difficult levels is for more experience points. Although the added challenge does make it interesting.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:50 AM   #20
Vassago
Manshoon

Ok, I've done some more revamping and this is what I came up w/ as my final party desicion. My Monk/Cleric is going to focus more on Monk than Cleric which means I will have to rest more often to get healed. Also, my Rogue will start w/ 1 Rogue, then 4 Fighter, then 9 Rogue and then finish off w/ Fighter.

Krager Male Human Fighter Neutral Good
18/18/18/6/10/6
Skills: Intimidate (Cha)
Feats: Heroic Inspiration & Martial Weapon: Axe
Weapons: Axe, Long Swords & Great Swords

Alessa Female Drow Monk of the Broken Ones X/Cleric Mask (Lord of Shadows) X Lawful Evil
14/20/16/8/18/4
Skills: Concentration(Con) & Hide(Dex)
Feats: Undecided

Vassago Male Strongheart Hafling Rogue 10/ Fighter 6 Neutral Evil
13/20/15/14/10/6
Skills: Pick Pocket (Dex), Search (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Move Silently(Dex), Open Lock(Dex)
Feats: Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting
Weapons: Small Blades & Short Bow

Nexus Male Rock Gnome Sorceror Lawful Good
10/10/20/10/8/18
Skills: Diplomacy (Cha) & Concentration (Con)
Feats: Armor Proficiency
Weapons: Maces & Crossbow