Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2001, 05:00 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, yes, Yorick, I forgot about that: in England and Australia, "biscuit" = "cookie" or "cracker" here.

What do you call what we call a "biscuit?" Also, did you get to enjoy any cat's head biscuits during your stay in the South?

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 05:32 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I'd call a biscuit a kind of scone.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-22-2001, 05:33 PM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Saz, no. What is a cats head biscuit

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-22-2001, 05:35 PM   #14
Lord Shield

He's apparently enjoying himself - he has also joined Mithril Hall under a different Nom De Plume

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 08-22-2001, 05:48 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I'd call a biscuit a kind of scone.

Aha, so that's where the "Throne of Scone" reference comes from that Caleb was using! It all makes sense now.

A "cat's head" biscuit is a giant-sized biscuit, or "scone" as you would call it, that would probably fit on a saucer. They are so called because they are roughly the size of a tomcat's head. Some people call them "owl's head" biscuits as well. They are very popular in the deep south, where you usually find them in diners in small towns. If the diner is personalized with someone's name, like "Ruby's Diner" or "Joe's Diner", then the chance of them having cat's head biscuits is very great.

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 07:23 PM   #16
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Ahhh no you have defiled this temple with pictures of the devil!
With your words and portaying his biscuity goodness you have desecrated IW.
It is up to me to set things right!
Off to war we go Hamlettons!

Oh yeah and he is on holiday still in Hawaii with his dad the bastard

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-22-2001, 07:29 PM   #17
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Aha, so that's where the "Throne of Scone" reference comes from that Caleb was using! It all makes sense now.

Yes I think thats why the joke didnt go off in the first place. Of course being a Kiwi I realised straight away and fell of my chair laughing
Wondered why noone else seemed to get the joke then rememered you americans call them biscuits

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 08-22-2001, 07:55 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
Yes I think thats why the joke didnt go off in the first place. Of course being a Kiwi I realised straight away and fell of my chair laughing
Wondered why noone else seemed to get the joke then rememered you americans call them biscuits

So did I, AzureWolf! I knew generally what a scone was; didn't realize it was the same as a "biscuit" but knew it was in the general family. I laughed uproariously at the "Throne of Scone" joke and was glad he incorporated that into his sig.

------------------
Old 08-22-2001, 08:04 PM   #19
Moni

I have no idea where I picked up the information but I knew scones=biscuits. Caleb's Biscuit King and Throne of Scone joke has to be one of the best laughs I have had all year.

I've never heard of a cat's head biscuit! That must be exclusive to the deep south because where I am from, if you make huge biscuits, you're just being lazy!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 08-23-2001, 03:42 AM   #20
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:

Being an educated Brit, I know the Throne of Scone (otherwise known as the Destiny Stone) from Celtic legend - I loved his spoof on it, making it a scone thing (another Brit thing (tea and scones) - sort of like a bun)

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site