Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2002, 04:34 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Ooooh Davros, Bath Week? You are walking a fine line there mate! I'll have you know I take a bath on my birthday every year whether I need it or not.

Sorry to hear about your boiler, I sympathise, my heating/hot water breaks down regularly [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Adding my name to the petition calling on Donut to post his Plumbing No-No story
Old 06-19-2002, 10:24 AM   #12
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

We had something saimilar to this happen to us two winters ago.

Filling the bathtub for the kids out of pots and an electric kettle SUCKED. It would take and hour and a half just to get enough water in the tub for them to have a bath.

If you dont want to refinance the house get ahold of G.E. Finance I think it is. Im sure here is a waterheater seller (Gas Company???) around your area that will have somone install it and then add the cost of the installation and waterheater together onto the final total so you dont have to pay any money out of pocket. Youll have 6 months to pay the bill with no interest.After that they want 22%

If you want, you can email me tomorrow and in the meantime Ill ask my wife who it was that finaced it and who it was that we bought the water heater from, IF you cant get it replaced by the manufacturer.

[ 06-19-2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:59 AM   #13
MagiK

22%!!!! Holy crap! sheesh, a home equity loan would be way lower than that.....errr well it owuld be here int he States...don't know about downunder

Old 06-19-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Get a proper plumber in Davros - not one of those cowboys. When my hot water stopped working I called in a handyman (we'll call him Lasnera - it's not his real name). He came along with his two assistants (we'll call them CiderCoat and CiderCoat's brother the electrician). There was the usual intake of breath as he looked at the system. "What you need is a new element. We'll have to look inside the tank but to do that I'll need to buy one of them turbo charged spanner thingies which can only be used on hot water tanks and you have to pay for it but I'll keep it in my tool box afterwards"

Lasnera: We'll have to empty the water out of the system before we open the hot water tank. Where's your water tank?

Me:Err, I don't think I've got one.

Lasnera: "You must have, everyone's got one. Let's turn all of the taps on and drain the system."

Me: (30 minutes later) "The water is still running, I don't think I've got a water tank."

Lasnera: "Okay I'll open the top of your hot water tank anyway" (Has anyone guessed what's going to happen yet?)

He struggles with the huge nut on the top of the tank and it finally gives way. Of course the water in the tank has been taken directly from the mains and is under pressure. The water gushes out of the top of the tank - gallons and gallons of it nearly drowning poor Lanesra.

Lasnera: (to CiderCoat and CiderCoat's Brother) F***, help, don't just f******* laugh, oh God! Turn all the f****** taps on, don't just f****** stand there, get towels, oh shit, all the water's going through the floor (I live on the top floor of my block), turn the water off at the stop cock!

Me: Where is it?

Lasnera: I don't know f****** know it's your house!

Me: I think it's this one but it won't turn.

Lasnera: Don't you ever do any maintenance in this house?

Me: It's okay I've done it.

Lasnera: Of course, the water had to be under pressure, I should have guessed that!

Cheers Lasnera. This beats the time you shorted out all of my electricty on the day I moved in and the time you put the new lights in the living room and for two years after, every time I closed the door to the room I got showered in sawdust from the light fitting!

Mind you - you are cheap!

[ 06-19-2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-19-2002, 11:38 AM   #15
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Geez Davros, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you and truly glad no one was injured. Sounds like an outside unit, which in this case was a good thing. Glad to hear the new system is in and checked out. Hope you have many years of happy trouble free hot water usage [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #16
TAOWolf
White Dragon

Our hot water heater went out last year, and spewed water everywhere.
The insurance paid for water damage, but we had to buy the heater.

Once we had it installed, (we did it ourselves ), with a neighbors help. Since it is a NATURAL GAS heater, we had to check for leaks after installation.

GET THIS.........

Our neighbor, (who is an eighty-year-old man), climbs in the closet, lights a match and starts waving it around.....

needless to say we hauled ass out the front door!!!!! *LMAO*

Luckily, there was NO leak....otherwise, we could've had a MUCH BIGGER mess.........*LOL*

Moral........do NOT use a match to check for GAS LEAKS...

May the moon always shine upon your face, and your imagination soar to the heavens.... Chan ann leis a’chiad bhuille thuiteas a’chraobh.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:14 PM   #17
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Poor Davros! And he's really a very clean sorta guy, I think when he was in Brissie he had at least... one shower (rented suit and all) [img]tongue.gif[/img] . How cold does it get in Mandurah anyway? Probably colder than here - you know what the temperature was on Sunday? 29 degrees

[ 06-19-2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Aelia Jusa ]
Old 06-19-2002, 06:25 PM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It is 7 deg C this morning Aelia - but the new system coped admirably . Good to see you hereabouts, and I hope your exams are going well.

TAO - LOL, checking for gas with a match..... the scary thing is I can imagine someone actually doing that.

Thank's for the plumbing story Donut - something reminds me of Faulty Towers - wasn't there a cheap Mr Fixit guy that Basil liked to use whenever something needed doing .
Old 06-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #19
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
It is 7 deg C this morning Aelia - but the new system coped admirably . Good to see you hereabouts, and I hope your exams are going well.

TAO - LOL, checking for gas with a match..... the scary thing is I can imagine someone actually doing that.

Thank's for the plumbing story Donut - something reminds me of Faulty Towers - wasn't there a cheap Mr Fixit guy that Basil liked to use whenever something needed doing .
That's right. His name was Lanesra!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-19-2002, 06:58 PM   #20
Epona
Zartan

ROFLMAO @ Donut & Lanesra!

Great story, and told well [img]smile.gif[/img]