Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 01:31 PM   #1
DavidL
Dungeon Master

My question is geared more towards formats than gaming. I have bought and beaten Icewind Dale. I bought from amazon, and looking back, the CD version is the only one available and consequently teh one I have. I run the CD (there were two diferent ones when it came) in the DVD drive. It has always worked. The first of the disks was for setup, and I had to use disk number 2 if I wanted to play the game.

When I went back to Amazon to buy Baldurs Gate, I originally ordered the CD version for $20. When I did a little more exploring, I saw the DVD version for $50, and one of the reviews mentioned changing CD's many times as you move through the places and that thge DVD was worth the extra price...

Do any of you have the CD version and wish you had teh DVD? Vice Versa? The conclusion I came to based on reading the reviews was that the CD ROM version shouldn't be running in the DVD drive. The only other option I have is the CD Writer drive. So would the CD version of BG work in teh DVD, too?

As you can tell, I'm not a hardware or software wiz... I am addicted to the games, though, and want to continue. Could you clear this one up for me?

TIA, very much.

DavidL
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:39 PM   #2
Waluin

A computer CD-DVD drive can use CD-ROM discs. So you can use either CDs or DVDs.

Disk switching sucks. DVD would rock, I'd be glad to have had it. Do I care noe? nah. BUT it would have been nice.

30 bucks though...I dunno. I think I can deal with disk switching to save a few dollars. But if you have cash to spend, I'd say go for it.

Either way its your call.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Waluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:45 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

. I do not own a DVD, so my opinion will not weigh as much as those that do.
But I still wanted to give my input on the matter.
If I had a DVD player, I would enjoy the games much more because especially on the original Baulder's Gate, I got tired of changing out the CDs.

I was told that a person could play CDs on a DVD player. But if I had a DVD player, I would buy the DVDs, not the CDs. (Unless I already owned them). It is worth the money...in all aspects of the matter.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Currently engaged in the Throne of Bhaal expansion set
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:53 PM   #4
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

A full install of BG1/2 will cut load times, personally I'd use the $30 saving to buy HoW, ToB, BG2 or whatever.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Cavern Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:58 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

With full install you dont have to switch CDs, you only need cd2 (or the expansion disc) to play and then no more discs.

------------------
"I´ve been captured... and I don´t care" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 02:11 PM   #6
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
With full install you dont have to switch CDs, you only need cd2 (or the expansion disc) to play and then no more discs.
Yeah, but one question guys: does he have the ROOM for a full install? I mean, I bet he does, but DANG. Heh. If I had the money to blow I'd give my HD a little respect and not do a full install (at least, from my experience with BG II, I forgot how big a full install of BG w/SC is)

But me personally, I'd do a full install and use the cash to get Planescape:Torment. I hear its pretty good

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Waluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 03:29 PM   #7
DavidL
Dungeon Master

Ok, Let me summarize what I get from all this. I've got 80 gigs, so I could do a full install adn not swap disks all the time. Right? So I could buy the $20 CD ROM version and spend the other $30 on one of the expansions?

Cool. Thanks all. Happy gaming.

DavidL
Old 07-13-2001, 04:52 PM   #8
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

That's the way to go pal. Enjoy.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Cavern Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 05:49 PM   #9
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidL:
Ok, Let me summarize what I get from all this. I've got 80 gigs, so I could do a full install adn not swap disks all the time. Right? So I could buy the $20 CD ROM version and spend the other $30 on one of the expansions?

Cool. Thanks all. Happy gaming.

DavidL
As far as I know a full install of the game is about 3 gigs. Also, the problem with a DVD version of the game, although it is all on one disk, is that they tend to be far slower in general than a CD ROM.

Kormar the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 05:52 PM   #10
DavidL
Dungeon Master

THanks! I'm going to amazon right now...