Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 09:06 PM   #1
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
You have bound to heard of all the shark attacks on the eastern US coast. So I ask this you what do you think of it?

Whats causing them?

maybe more importantly:

WHY do people keep going to the beach, I mean by now everyone has bound to heard of it, so why do they keep getting in the water? It dosent take a genuis to figure out that if you get in the water then you have a good chance of getting bit by a shark. There have been 38 shark attacks this summer.

38!

So whats your take on it?

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Old 09-03-2001, 09:21 PM   #2
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i say its caused by the increasing ability of the American people to overlook any facts that have been found and take stupid risks for their own enjoyment. that, or theyre just baiting them! i mean, im willing to bet that theres some kid making a whole bunch of sharp movements and commotion and stuff in the water, and i refer to those kids as 'shark bait'.

i spent about a week in Panama City, FL this summer, and there were no shark attacks while i was there (Lord knows i tried to fake a few tho ). and that was surely because nobody was stupid enough to try to bait one to come as close as they could (or if one of the 'shark baits' did, i wasnt anywhere near him).

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Old 09-03-2001, 09:40 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Actually, I think that certain beach vacationers don't take the time out to educate themselves re sharks. Mainly sharks come out and feed in the morning, and then at sunset. I remember last year being at the Outer Banks in North Carolina, and around 6:00pm, all these four inch long fish stared just swimming and jumping out of the water all around me. At that moment, I thought to myself, I feel like I'm in the shark bait LOL, so I got out. I have to wonder if all these shark attacks have been occurring in the morning or the evening, and if that IS the case, then it is again, general knowledge not to go into the sea at those times, but I could be wrong. Maybe these attacks occurred at unusual times of the day, so no way for the public to know when it is a safe time or not to swim in the ocean. Definitely surprising to hear so many shark attacks this year no doubt.

------------------
Old 09-03-2001, 10:33 PM   #4
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
i say its caused by the increasing ability of the American people to overlook any facts that have been found and take stupid risks for their own enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Definitely surprising to hear so many shark attacks this year no doubt.

Actually, the shark has just become the new "pitbull" of the media. Anything that they find that can stir up fear, they will report on. Let's face it, shark stories sell.

I do, however feel that these shark feeding dives for the sake of giving tourists something to do is a bad idea! It is common knowledge that no aggressive wild animals should be fed. This will lead to sharks losing their fear of humans, and start them actually seeking them out, as they associate them with food.

As far as sharks becoming more aggressive, I don't think that is the case. It has just become a hot topic, so we will now here about every attack worldwide instead of it just being local news.

This from MSNBC:

The number of shark attacks is increasing over time, not because sharks are becoming more aggressive but because there are more people, and swimmers, on the planet. Worldwide there are probably 70-100 shark attacks annually, resulting in 5-15 deaths. The numbers are rough because data from some countries is poor. Historically the death rate was much higher than today, but the advent of readily available emergency services and improved treatment has greatly reduced the risk of mortality.

------------------

Proud new member of LH!

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 09-03-2001).]
Old 09-03-2001, 10:36 PM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:

Actually, the shark has just become the new "pitbull" of the media. Anything that they find that can stir up fear, they will report on. Let's face it, shark stories sell.

As far as sharks becoming more aggressive, I don't think that is the case. It has just become a hot topic, so we will now here about every attack worldwide instead of it just being local news.

This from MSNBC:

The number of shark attacks is increasing over time, not because sharks are becoming more aggressive but because there are more people, and swimmers, on the planet. Worldwide there are probably 70-100 shark attacks annually, resulting in 5-15 deaths. The numbers are rough because data from some countries is poor. Historically the death rate was much higher than today, but the advent of readily available emergency services and improved treatment has greatly reduced the risk of mortality.

I also heard this from a man who got attacked

"I have been swiming for 15-20 years out there, and I have never seen so many sharks all at once"

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Old 09-03-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
andora20
Manshoon

Lets face it people, iF we're gonna take all their food, they are gonna try and take it back, even if it has to be foul tasting human, (to a shark we don't taste very nice) already the cod stocks in the north sea are depleted, almost to extinction.What else is a shark supposed to eat!

------------------
Carpe Diem, Carpe Jugulem
Old 09-03-2001, 10:53 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well this is a coincidence. As I reply to this thread, the news just came on. Guess what? Yet another shark attack in Avon, North Carolina (in the Outer Banks just where we always go on vacation). Man is dead, his wife is severely injured and in the hospital. Freaky. Again, I don't care what anyone says, it IS unusual, as I have gone to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks for years on years. And the Outer Banks is actually rather uncrowded on the beach, always has been, so it's not because there are more people.

------------------
Old 09-03-2001, 11:00 PM   #8
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Quote:
Well this is a coincidence. As I reply to this thread, the news just came on. Guess what? Yet another shark attack in Avon, North Carolina (in the Outer Banks just where we always go on vacation). Man is dead, his wife is severely injured and in the hospital. Freaky. Again, I don't care what anyone says, it IS unusual, as I have gone to Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks for years on years. And the Outer Banks is actually rather uncrowded on the beach, always has been, so it's not because there are more people.

Well I posted this cause I heard on the news that a 10 year old buy got killed. And it reminded me.

------------------

Old 09-03-2001, 11:03 PM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

My take? Sharks love Americans

Liliara, you must know that Sharkfeeding sessions consist of feeding NON-maneaters. Divers engaging in such activities are strongly warned NOT to even touch the sharkfood (usually bloody fish), but are encouraged to touch or even pet the sharks as the move by. Most of these sharks are too small to actively seek out and hunt humans, and their diet mostly is restricted to small fish and anything else they can find thats small enough to eat.
Most people are'nt stupid enough to go diving with say, Tigers or Great Whites, or Bulls or Makos, but the species that they actually DO dive with are mostly harmless reef sharks, or smaller varieties.

But you guys are right in that some people just radiate sharkbait aura so much that they might as well be bleeding from every orifice and be dressed in horribly bright colours while swimming

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 09-03-2001, 11:07 PM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:

Maybe it's a secret plan by an evil world-wide empire to turn sharks into vicious manhunters in order to dominate the oceans and thus rule the world?

"All I'm asking for is SHARKS with Frickin' LASER BEAMS on their heads! May I remind you idiots what I pay you for?"
"We have..Sea Bass"
"Are they MUTATED Sea Bass?"

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy