Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 05:23 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well done Hesperex, I applaud your honesty. I noticed a couple of 'guilty parties' condemning the practice!

Oh well.

That´s the one Hesperex

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 05:27 PM   #32
Hesperex

Well it usually pays to be honest ...... think you ment

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 05:47 PM   #33
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I am just re starting, but I want to earn my way up. Let's not make it to easy.

------------------
Tremble and despair, for I am power! All here are now judged, and are found wanting.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:14 AM   #34
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Case closed!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-09-2001, 08:50 AM   #35
IamOpus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Z would most likely wind up in an asylum if he read every post, even the hilarious "bump" posts that some people seem to enjoy so much. Looking at the boards for a while you get a rough idea of who is good at what and who spends their time bumping their way to ultimate hapiness. You can see who gets asked questions and who doesn't, bugger the rankings.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:42 AM   #36
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by IamOpus:
Z would most likely wind up in an asylum if he read every post, even the hilarious "bump" posts that some people seem to enjoy so much. Looking at the boards for a while you get a rough idea of who is good at what and who spends their time bumping their way to ultimate hapiness. You can see who gets asked questions and who doesn't, bugger the rankings.
This is just a note to explain the bump posts. We have so many messages and threads that some can get pushed down so far, they would be really hard to find. The "bump" threads are there just to push them back up. I admit that I use them, but I try to only use them on important or relevant posts. Originally, they started from the old forum in regards to BG questions. Some of them would go unanswered. We encouraged the posters to "bump" them if they weren't answered so that they could be answered.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-09-2001, 09:49 AM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by IamOpus:
Bumping is board etiquette for bringing a thread to the top of the page if it has either a) not been answered; or b) contains info that gets repeatedly asked and is useful/interesting for people to read. It's a lot better than spamming the board with the same questions which is what can happen. This then pushes other boards off the front page.

It's not the bump itself, it's what gets bumped that's important.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 06-12-2001, 02:23 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Bumping this up-

I think it has much to say and maybe explains the "old timers' views on the 'meaningless spam' posts that get mentioned now and again. I also think it is something new folk should see so you understand some 'history' and feel part of our community Much of it refers to one infamous thread that got locked down after Z began to see that really long (over 500 posts) threads could in fact de-stabliize things. The thread had become alot of one word or even one letter (!) posts just to get new ranks in some cases.

This discussion took place shortly after the current board began and our Webmaster had installed the original stars and ranks which none of us were used to as on the old blue board we just had a number and it was in our profiles, not out for general viewing. Everything DID settle down not long after this, too, btw. We just got a little 'rank happy' in our new home...call it the giddiness of all the wide-open space we found here.

Cloudy, Historian for the Day

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-12-2001, 02:50 PM   #39
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Ziroc, Memnoch, I like the idea of new rankings. You're right, maybe people would be less inclined to post just for the rankings. I personally don't pay too much attention. In fact, I just noticed that I must have changed rank because the last time I looked I was Elminster and now I am Zhentarim Guard.

------------------

Old 06-12-2001, 02:58 PM   #40
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Right you are Cloudy! We had a weird old time on that blue one - seems like everything got bagged in a washing machine as soon as someone decided to raise a thread even above 100 posts!!

We had part 2s and part 3s for every 'whopper' post

This is nice, although I do prefer the good old days when people said things because they wanted to and not because they have to (for ranks)

Still, I can't dream can't I?

------------------