Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2001, 10:47 PM   #1
Fallen Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was thinking about soloing a Sorcerer thought the game (1st time soloing) I was wondering if you guys can give me any spell/equipment picks and some strategies that would help.

------------------

Quote:
Grieve for the soul in Death Dishonored
Old 07-10-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
Aurum
Manshoon

Only refference:

Equip: Good archimage, Vecna robe.
Spells: Magic missile, chromatic orb, minor sequencer (all) , imagen, ice storm, incendiary cloud, kill cloud, blade disaster, time stop.
Stts: Never fight one to one, sequencers full, Chain contigency in defense, use forever potions, use magic wand, if is very weak use defensive ring, use scrolls.

------------------
When The world of the deads comes,
we will already be there.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:36 AM   #3
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen Angel:
I was thinking about soloing a Sorcerer thought the game (1st time soloing) I was wondering if you guys can give me any spell/equipment picks and some strategies that would help.

I just finished soloing I just finished soloing a sorcerer. What a blast!
Potential spoilers below
For spells I like to use summons a lot. The right summoned creature can take out many foes causing you to only use one spell. Animate dead is excelent once you reach 15th level when you get skeleton warriors, spider summons is good for disrupting mages (esp. once you get sword spiders) and is great in conjunction with web, summon fire elemental is great for trolls and beholders, mordiken’s sword is excellent for almost everything, and Summon Avatar (if you have ToB) cures everything (except demi-litches). I found Gate to be a worthless summons, IMHO, because you don’t get any XP for what your summons kills.

The AOE spells I used frequently fireball, sunfire (since you don’t have to worry about other party members), incendiary cloud (deals out more damage than Albi’s if you can keep your foes in it), and Albi Dazim’s Horrid Wilting (does great damage even if they make their save).

Defense spells like warding whip, breach, pierce magic, and lower resistance are very important for battling mages and magic resistant foes.

Time stop will also make life as a solo sorcerer a lot easier. Detect invisibility is necessary since you can’t cast at what you can’t see. As a side note, if you have ToB, Summon Avatar is excellent for invisible creatures since the Avatar doesn’t need to see a foe to attack it.

As far as equipment goes I like Robe of Vecna, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed, Ring of Gaxx, bracers AC 3,
Girdle of Hill Giant Strength (since as a sorcerer Str. is probably low and you do need to carry bounty) sling +3, wand of cloudkill, and the amulet that provides negative plane protection.

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 03:26 PM   #4
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Solo Sorcerer is great fun. In many situations it is actually easier than with a group, as you don't have to protect anyone but yourself.

I chose the usual equp: Robe of Vecna, Staff of Magi, Boomerang Dagger and later Firetooth (2 attacks/round, as opposed to slings 1 attack), Cloak of Displacment/Cloak of Mirroring/Cloak of Non-Detection (switch as neccessary), Boots of Speed, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Wizardry, Amulet of Power, Belt of Inertial Barrier, Pale Green Ioun Stone (get the patch to allow mages to use these at Baldurdash, or if you have ToB you can use anyways).

For spell picks:

Level 1: Magic Missle, Chromatic Orb, Charm Person, Lartoch's Minor Drain, Protection from Evil or Identify
Level 2: Mirror Image, Detect Invisibility, Knock (must have for soloing), Melf's Acid Arrow, Web. You don't need Vocalize, as you can get the Amulet of Power very quickly.
Level 3: Skull Trap (big damage, 1D6 x Level), Melf's Minute Meteors (this is a big help early on, five attacks per round), Haste (not for you, for your summoned creatures), Remove Magic
Level 4: Fireshield Red (great offensive/defensive spell + %50 resist Fire), Greater Malison, Stoneskin (absolute must have), Spider Spawn (also a great help early on)
Level 5: Animate Dead (Skeletal Warriors at level 15), Lower Resist, Spell Immunity, Sunfire
Level 6: Death, Chain Lightning (or Distinigrate), Pierce Magic
Level 7: Mordenkainen's Sword (best summoning spell, as it is virtually immune to all physical damage and confusion/domination/stun), Finger of Death, Project Image
Level 8: Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (can damage almost anything, even magic resistant creatures), Pierce Shield, Spell Trigger
Level 9: Timestop, Chain Contingency, Meteor Swarm

Breach is totally unneccessary for a Solo Sorcerer, as you will not be engaging in Melee after you level up a bit and your summoned creatures are mainly there to keep the enemy busy while you attack with your spells.

Don't bother with any spells that you can cast from a wand, like Fireball, Cloudkill, or Lightning. You can sell and re-buy them to recharge.

The only sequencing spell you need to learn is Spell Trigger. The other two are not all that useful, as you can only cast low level spells with them, and you can cast them off of scrolls.

Same with contingency, you can cast that off of scrolls.

Don't bother with True Sight either, you only need to dispel Invisibility to target something with spells; or just use Abi Dalzim's in their general area.

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 07-11-2001, 04:23 PM   #5
Fallen Angel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK question where do i get the staff of the magi/ring of wizardry at and at what level should i fight kangaxx and what strategy should i use to fight him. (ive fought normal liches in the game but never tryed the kangaxx fight)

------------------

Quote:
Grieve for the soul in Death Dishonored
Old 07-11-2001, 04:49 PM   #6
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen Angel:
OK question where do i get the staff of the magi/ring of wizardry at and at what level should i fight kangaxx and what strategy should i use to fight him. (ive fought normal liches in the game but never tryed the kangaxx fight)

Spoiler
You have to do the Twisted Rune to get the staff of Magi. I'm not sure about the ring of wizardry - Xod will have to let you know about that one.

Kangaxx was a tough fight but I believe I did it around level 19 (with ToB installed) with the staff of Magi. The thing about soloing is that you level up very quickly. So if you don't want to break the original XP cap I would suggest pretty much sticking to the story line and not doing any side quests.

Detailed Strategy to follow
In my fight with Kangaxx, after he turned to a Demi-Litch, I used the staff's spell trap and a fleet of summoned creatures to absorb those imprisonment spells and give myself time. Then I beat him to death with the ToB level 10 spell equivalent to Melf's Minute Meteors (I believe it's called blade something or other).

BTW, welcome to the board!

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 05:03 PM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Xod:
Breach is totally unneccessary for a Solo Sorcerer, as you will not be engaging in Melee after you level up a bit and your summoned creatures are mainly there to keep the enemy busy while you attack with your spells.
It depends on one's playing style. With a skeleton warrior (magic resistant) and a breach spell I can take out magic users by only using 2 spells and still have my summons uninjured (ready for the next battle) after all is said and done. I like conserving my other spells until I really need them.

------------------
Old 07-11-2001, 05:13 PM   #8
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

One spell that I know will help you is Melf's Minute Meteors. When you get those big Iron or Adamandite Golems trapped in a doorway, they work great against them. Once, when I was playing a multi-player game, in the D'Arnise (sp?) Hold, where the Golems are located, I got the Iron Golem trapped between the door and flung the meteors at it. Then just got a Fighter (which in this case a summoned monster) to hit him. One hit and he was done for. (Does this qualify as a spoiler? I didn't tell where the Golems are located in the Hold, so..?)
Old 07-11-2001, 09:15 PM   #9
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
You have to do the Twisted Rune to get the staff of Magi. I'm not sure about the ring of wizardry - Xod will have to let you know about that one.

You get the Ring of Wizardry from the Mage Stronghold, the Planar Sphere. Your Apprenti can make it for you, although one or two will die making it...

------------------

Old 07-11-2001, 09:18 PM   #10
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
It depends on one's playing style. With a skeleton warrior (magic resistant) and a breach spell I can take out magic users by only using 2 spells and still have my summons uninjured (ready for the next battle) after all is said and done. I like conserving my other spells until I really need them.
Very true. I just think that there are better level 5 spells to be learned, and you can still cast breach from a scroll (there are plenty to be found too).

------------------