Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2003, 02:32 PM   #1
Devv
The Magister

A few possible spoilers in this is you haven't gone through the game before.

I am playing a dual swashbuckler mage at the moment and I have not yet caught up my inactive Swashbuckler class (level 15) with my level 12 Mage. I am on chapter 2, the chapter I do ALL the quests available before going off to chapter 3. Anyway, I did the quest for Renal and he didn't offer me the thief stronghold. My paper doll is a thief paper doll and my character has a thief appearance too (doesn't show robes when I wear them).

This means that I am left with the mage stronghold I suppose. However, I have never got that one before because you need to kil Valygar/turn him in to the Cowled Wizards, or so I thought. Could anyone explain this stronghold a bit better for me? It seems like I just wont have a stronghold coz I am not prepared to turn in valygar :/
Devv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

You don˙t need to kill Valygar. He can join you,opens the Sphere and travles with you. Once you finish it you get the Stronghold.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #3
Legos
The Magister

Spoiler? Perhaps...

I think the cowled people only give the standard reward for turning him in, however, searching the planar spehere with him should get you the stronghold.

Not 100% sure though, it´s been some time since i went through the game with a mage.

Oh, another spoiler:

If you like that ring of the ram that you get by either killing Tolgerias or completing his quest, it is possible to have dual such...
(WITHOUT using cheat CODES or such i mean)

READ ON AT YOUR OWN RISK! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Pick pocket the Tolgerias in the government building, then go and kill the one in the planar spehere.
There you have dual ram-rings!

I got dual ram-rings with Korgan, but i almost never remember to use them, so it aint that bad. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Legos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

If you want to be picky there is a way to have three Ram Rings. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 09-06-2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 09-06-2003, 05:13 PM   #5
Vedran
Lord Soth

What is the difference between cheating with codes, and cheating with game glitch? It is all giving yourself an unfair advantage and thus cheating.

Of course, perhaps Tolgerias has his own RotR factory .
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
Devv
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Vedran:
What is the difference between cheating with codes, and cheating with game glitch? It is all giving yourself an unfair advantage and thus cheating.

I agree totally with the top bit. Abusing exploits is the same as cheating imo and spoils the roleplay. Not having a dig at you Legos, thanks for the tip anyway [img]smile.gif[/img]

I will let Valygar in my party for the whole planar sphere quest and see if I end up with my own stronghold with assistants and the likes.
Devv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 06:29 AM   #7
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
I wish I had my own Robe of Vecna factory.

*sigh*
Old 09-07-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
quote:
I wish I had my own Robe of Vecna factory.

*sigh*
[/QUOTE]You can have it. All you need is ShadowKeeper.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:02 AM   #9
Eternal
Manshoon

yup dont fool yourself.
obviously the 3 ring of the ram glitch is just as much a cheat as it is cheesey.

ain nothing wrong w/ cheating if it it enhances your gameplay , up to you.
just dont fool yourself saying it isnt cheating.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:58 AM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Devv, the reason that Renal didn't offer you the Thief Stronghold is because you weren't a Thief: Your Swashbuckler class was still buried in the Dual, and when the game checks a character to determine their class, it only sees their active class. So, even though your character looks like a Thief to you, all Renal saw was a Mage. If you had put off your final visit to Renal until your Swashbuckler class was reactivated, you would have been offered the Stronghold.

About Rings of the Ram: I have no problem with Tolgerias knowing how to make them. It's a relatively simple enchantment, and he *is* a high-ranking Cowled Wizard, after all. I see nothing wrong, roleplaying-wise, with obtaining 2 or even 3 RotRs.....it's only obtaining 3 RotRs AND keeping Valygar in the party that's obviously the result of a bug. (It happened to me in my current game: Valygar carrying his own body. How's THAT for an out-of-body experience?)