Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 02:57 PM   #11
Blade
Emerald Dragon

I wish my e-mail was big enough to hold it but unfortunatly its not mabe you could get /)eath to host it for you so we could all listen to it
Old 04-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #12
Beltazar
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
Cool Yorrick! I belive my e-mail is a bit messed up right now but you can try to send them to txdl6@earthlink.com

How are you doing,btw?
Same with me yorrick, send to dragonheart102@aol.com and I will be more than certain to check it out. And my uncle owns his own record label, so if you want to try and put it out publicly, I'm more than sure that he can do it. But how are you today, and same with you Grand-ranger (pain-wrath here if you didnt know)
Old 04-25-2002, 03:24 PM   #13
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

If you send me the file, I'd be happy to host it for a bit so that everyone can download from one location instead of you having to email everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 04-26-2002, 03:17 AM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thanks mate, gonna enjoy this to my morning coffee!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 04-26-2002, 09:28 AM   #15
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!

I will send you the addy! Make it quick!!! I am just so sick and tired of listening to your oldies (joke)
Old 04-26-2002, 11:05 AM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hey guys. I'm short of time today, but I'll follow this up tonight. I sent a few out yesterday, but the hosting idea is pretty cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-26-2002, 11:38 AM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hugh! LOVE THEM! I listened to them last night! As usual, I'm impressed!
Old 04-26-2002, 11:59 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

OK - since you said you'd like some feedback...
Since you're the guy who's always advocating that friends should be able to be honest with each other and criticise each other, I am convinced you won't hold the following against me

Let me start out by saying that I think you are an incredibly gifted singer - the two CDs that Moiraine was kind enough to send me are played often!
You have an amazing range, not only in the music-technical sense, but also in that you can do so many different styles and hit so many different emotions and tones with your voice.
That said, I must say that I was less impressed with the three new songs than with some of the older things you did.
It may be me, but the production sounds a bit flat to me, I think I'd have liked the sound better if it had some more depth. It seems a bit overproduced, bland. Especially the drums. Of course, I realise that this may be genre-bound, sort of a 'light music' production. But it was somethin I didn't really like. Also, though this is a matter of taste, the songs an sich are not really my style. I think you have done so much more original/interesting stuff before - this sounds more standard to me. Your taste has probably changed, and maybe you prefer to make music that's very easy to the ears, very light. To me it sounds a bit too standard though... all the choirs... you have such an amazing voice, I don't think it needs all the back-up.
Some things that I did love: first of all, your singing, of course. It's impeccable. I think it's above dispute that you're a very good singer! What I liked especially was that your voice seems to have a little more 'edge' than I heard before. I also loved the last part of Love Train - it started out a bit timid, but then it bloomed open, got groovy, and your voice really comes loose - some GREAT vocal lines there, I loved it!!! The extended 'hold on's and then the catchy part.. I really liked that.
One more thing - the last song (Steal A Heart) is very similar to some of the songs I got from Moiraine... also, that sound effect in that song has been used to death by a few bands, I think, LOL!

Anyway, that's my honest opinion - like I was discussing with another IW member the other day, empty praise is so meaningless, and it's no help at all, either. I think honest criticism is kinder than flattery that you don't mean a word of. So I hope you'll not mind [img]smile.gif[/img]
I love your voice, but the songs just couldn't really capture me.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to Treehouse!
Oh incidentally, Hugh, what was the band called again that you used to be in? Vertigo or am I mistaken?
Old 04-27-2002, 02:59 AM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
OK - since you said you'd like some feedback...
Since you're the guy who's always advocating that friends should be able to be honest with each other and criticise each other, I am convinced you won't hold the following against me

Let me start out by saying that I think you are an incredibly gifted singer - the two CDs that Moiraine was kind enough to send me are played often!
You have an amazing range, not only in the music-technical sense, but also in that you can do so many different styles and hit so many different emotions and tones with your voice.
That said, I must say that I was less impressed with the three new songs than with some of the older things you did.
It may be me, but the production sounds a bit flat to me, I think I'd have liked the sound better if it had some more depth. It seems a bit overproduced, bland. Especially the drums. Of course, I realise that this may be genre-bound, sort of a 'light music' production. But it was somethin I didn't really like. Also, though this is a matter of taste, the songs an sich are not really my style. I think you have done so much more original/interesting stuff before - this sounds more standard to me. Your taste has probably changed, and maybe you prefer to make music that's very easy to the ears, very light. To me it sounds a bit too standard though... all the choirs... you have such an amazing voice, I don't think it needs all the back-up.
Some things that I did love: first of all, your singing, of course. It's impeccable. I think it's above dispute that you're a very good singer! What I liked especially was that your voice seems to have a little more 'edge' than I heard before. I also loved the last part of Love Train - it started out a bit timid, but then it bloomed open, got groovy, and your voice really comes loose - some GREAT vocal lines there, I loved it!!! The extended 'hold on's and then the catchy part.. I really liked that.
One more thing - the last song (Steal A Heart) is very similar to some of the songs I got from Moiraine... also, that sound effect in that song has been used to death by a few bands, I think, LOL!

Anyway, that's my honest opinion - like I was discussing with another IW member the other day, empty praise is so meaningless, and it's no help at all, either. I think honest criticism is kinder than flattery that you don't mean a word of. So I hope you'll not mind [img]smile.gif[/img]
I love your voice, but the songs just couldn't really capture me.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to Treehouse!
Oh incidentally, Hugh, what was the band called again that you used to be in? Vertigo or am I mistaken?
The feedback's great and needed. That's why I asked for it.
In light of what you wrote I should probably clear some things up though. Namely that my co-writer Will is doing a lot of lead vocal on Love Train - including the long hold ons. I'm doing the vox in the big guitar section (the catchy part?), and we're both doing the chanted backing vocals. However I did play everything and arranged it all.

I'm not sure if you picked up that the songs were each written/recorded in a day. So as far as production goes I haven't spent much time on it. Ironic that you cited overproduction And the 'choir' is just me, although the co-writer of the first song sings a harmony line.

Apart from her and the aforementioned Will, I did the lot from scratch on my laptop in a few hour per song, so I'm not too fazed by production criticisms. Especially knowing your genre tastes... (I watched the lost highway back to back with Mullholland Drive the other night BTW) The feedback is good in terms of developing direction, as I'm writing with some new co-writers. I do like what's going on, but I'm sure the songs will develop as time goes on.

[ 04-27-2002, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-27-2002, 03:42 AM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
The feedback's great and needed. That's why I asked for it.
In light of what you wrote I should probably clear some things up though. Namely that my co-writer Will is doing a lot of lead vocal on Love Train - including the long hold ons. I'm doing the vox in the big guitar section (the catchy part?), and we're both doing the chanted backing vocals. However I did play everything and arranged it all.
Yes, the guitar part is the catchy part I was referring to. Whew - glad that's your part, like that best of the whole thing.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you picked up that the songs were each written/recorded in a day.
No, didn't see that...

Quote:
So as far as production goes I haven't spent much time on it. Ironic that you cited overproduction
Well, overproduction doesn't necessarily mean that you worked on it for ages - I'm just trying to find the right word here. You often get a production a bit like that when it's too flat and smooth - it has no rough edges, no layers. But that you worked on it for so only little time explains the drum sound I tink (or maybe you just like a drum sound like that, LOL!)

Quote:
And the 'choir' is just me, although the co-writer of the first song sings a harmony line.
I know Hugh - don't you know the term 'choir'? Maybe it's a Dutch thing, but to me, in pop music, 'choirs' (with a diminutive suffix in Dutch, so "choirlets" ) are just backings like the ones you did - I alsways call that choirs. Maybe in English the term can only refer to real choirs? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Quote:
Apart from her and the aforementioned Will, I did the lot from scratch on my laptop in a few hour per song, so I'm not too fazed by production criticisms. Especially knowing your genre tastes...
Uh, actually I listen to classical music mostly, Hugh.
But it's amazing that you can do so much on a laptop....wow!!

Quote:
(I watched the lost highway back to back with Mullholland Drive the other night BTW) The feedback is good in terms of developing direction, as I'm writing with some new co-writers. I do like what's going on, but I'm sure the songs will develop as time goes on.
LOL, you watched LS again? Did you still like it? Hey, did you know that the actor who plays the creepy guy is being tried for murder on his wife?

OK, I see your point about production... it seems flat, as if it has only one layer, but that's probably due to time being limited and recording on your laptop.
I still think some of the song structures are far less original than earlier things you did though, but oh well

Good luck with it, Hugh! [img]smile.gif[/img] And I hope you'll keep us all updated when you have time