Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 09:41 AM   #11
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Back then the most valuable cards were indeed the Black Lotus and the Moxes. I remember they were being sold for around 300 $ ! They were valuable for sure, because of their power (free mana eh !) but not THAT rare for those who began collecting early (93/94 ?).
Mind you, not that many cards have actually become more valuable over the years... Out of curiosity, I'd picked up a priceguide a few years back to see if my old collection was actually worth something; unfortunately, most of the prices were actually lower than they were when I still collected (!). Yotz. [/QUOTE]Same here, should have sold the damn things when I had the chance. Although its nice to admire the artwork now and then.

IMHO the Lotus/Moxes were seriously overated. Unless you were lucky enough to get them in your opening draw, its use was somewhat diminished.

[ 04-23-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Rimjaw ]
Old 04-23-2003, 10:17 AM   #12
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Those good old days, birds of paradise.. lotus, moxen, time walk... Ooowwww! That time was great!

I was rather addicted to the card game (every saturday I attended a group of 15 a 20 people in a shop (a magic shop)) that was the best time of my life, I didn't own every valuable card though I still know people that have beta and alpha lotussen, moxen, time walks, timetwister, birds of paradise... I once knew someone that had sold his collection of magic cards (over 40000 commons, 1500 rares (beta/alpha/unlimited/revised), 10000 uncommons) for over 20000 €!!

Though his collection was worth the double, he didn't got any remorse for it because he bought a new car the next day [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Its just sick how expensive those cards are/where...

Leviathan is a 12/12 blue monster card (he will consume 2 Islands if he becomes tapped IIRC).. pretty worthless IMO.. I owned several copy's.

I to sold my collection 2 years ago for a amount of 2000 € (then it was 4500 gulden) that included a time stop from beta and 2 moxes and several birds of paradise.

I still own several dragon legends from the arabian nights (originals, not the chronicle's) just because I love the pictures and I'm fond of dragons.

[ 04-23-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #13
philip
Galvatron

i think it's the power seven. I haven't played in a year so i forgot the most but i think they were timetwister, black lotus, the moxes, timewalk, birds of paradise, vampiric tutor (last 2 beta, though i'm not 100% sure if they were in)
Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The rarest card is :

Name: "Will you marry me?"
Type: Sorcery
effect: If opponent says yes, the game is a draw, and both players shuffle their libraries together.

I believe there were only like 5 or 6 made and the creator of MTG made the card to propose to his wife. It took several games before he actually had it in his hand with the correct mana to cast the card.

[ 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 04-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Since they re-make the game and put out new decks every two weeks, aren't all cards technically "rare"? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 01:54 PM   #16
Masklinn

Good point TL.
But some cards are edited through several editions and some only live through one or two.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #17
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Well, for the newer editions there are five dragon cards that are pretty rare...erm...Rith the Awakener, Cro-something the destroyer and another three...been ages since I played this...over a year. Still have all of mine, though I never use 'em...too much money wasted, IMO. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
My own fault...
Old 04-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #18
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I bought a Magic The Gathering starter kit and it came with a Thorn elemental. It's a 7/7 nature (green) creature. Somewhere I have a magazine with a strategy to make a creature with (basically) infinite attack for one turn. I could try to find it if you want.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:01 AM   #19
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

PROPOSAL
WWWW
Sorcery
Allows Richard to propose marriage to Lily. If the proposal is accepted both players win; mix the cards in play, both libraries and both graveyards as a shared deck.

SPLENDID GENESIS
GGGG
Sorcery
Shuffle all the cards in the game together and deal them into three decks. The game continues with a new player.
She discovered with great delight that one does not love one’s children because they are one’s children but because of the friendship formed while raising them.
Gabriel Garciá Márquez

FRATERNAL EXALTATION
UUUU
Sorcery
Sneak into your parents’ closet to get a deck. Your new brother is joining the game.

...and when you want to go explore, the number you should have is four. —Sandra Boynton
Quinton Hoover Monique Thirifay Susan Garfield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 04-24-2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: sageridder ]
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 04-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #20
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

(Blue) Hurricane and Black Lotus are worth 300-> , Hurricane is even close to 1000 dollars. I suppose it´s the best card I´ve seen in my "career".. I too began around ´96 and quitted shortly after.. but now the cards are calling my name again. Too bad the latest expansions don´t seem to feature even a handful of useful cards.

[ 04-24-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]