Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
bowman_is_god
Dungeon Master

Anyone have any idea how often the light sword is dropped by buccaneers, or is there any other factors in the drop? Ive never had a problem getting it, but this game i have been trying for about 4 hours now and still no light sword, its just wierd.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Arrow

I tried many times to get the light sword and settled for a light shield. Depends on how patient you are but there a few tricks that make the attempt a little less painful. Kill most of them, run away until you can save, and then keep trying with the last one or two ghosts. And reload, etc., as I'm sure you are aware of. Cutting the battles down to shorter times can help in the frustration department. 4 hours? There are other adequate swords. Let us know if you get the b___stard.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
gator
Dungeon Master

A quick way to kill all the ghosts at once is to cast two high level Banish spells. Each try took less than a minute, but it still took me over two hours to get the *light* *sword*.
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #4
PoeticPantherGirl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

From those of you who have the Light Sword...really, is it worth the effort?? I do have excaliber and it ROCKS! I just recently tried for a while to get the light sword with no luck, but would be willing to go back to the save before I kill them *IF* the sword really is worth it...
So...is it?? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance
PPG
Old 07-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Silpion
Dungeon Master

It is a very good sword. But you'll spend several hours fighting and reloading.
IMO it is not worth the time.

(And it's the worst looking item in the game. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
bowman_is_god
Dungeon Master

Ive had every sword in the game, but the light sword just is by far the best one handed weapon out there. I always thought it was kinda stupid that the best sword in the game is a random drop. Also i only have a 2 person party right now ( fighter/ bishop ), so the extra damage is really going to come in handy.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #7
gator
Dungeon Master

In general I do not think it is worth it to get the light sword. I've just never seen a light sword or some of the other uber weapons, so that is the only reason that I did that. Fang or Ivory Blade are good alternatives to the light sword.
gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

depends on what else you have. except for COC is the lightsword the best weapon in the game? NO! The staff of doom EASILY trounces it, but of course you won't be able to use anything else - not that you'll need anything else. I had two liz fighters both with maxed close combat and maxed sword, staff, polearm, and mace. The one with the staff of doom was devistating the others with that 25% paralysis and 15% instakill. Damage potential wasn't as high as with the light sword but I'd paralyze opponents so often and the damage on a paralyzed opponent was much higher than the light sword.

Fang is virtually identical to the light sword except in damage potential (and the bonus to troopers).

I sold mine (hey - it wasn't extended range and I had a spellbook habit to feed for my 4 bishops, those junkies.....).

My second favorite weapon is the Raven's Bill - which despite the damage potential stated on the weapon was VERY close to the light sword (but it didn't make the cool sound). With both weapons working maximum damage on high level Berserk mode Raven's Bill was typically only about 15-20 points less (out of about 150 pts damage).
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote