Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
homer
Manshoon

I have just started playing this module and have noticed that when I kill creature I am receiving no experience. I have started a new character, a halfling thief, so I do not think that the level or class is the problem; however, I could be wrong. Maybe this is a glitch and I have an older version, I downloaded it about a week ago.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this problem or if someone knows if this is part of the design.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #2
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

You get no xp for killing the Ravens. Mainly because they have started to implement the PnP rule. If a creature is no threat to you then you get no xp for defeating it.

Example:
A 15th level fighter takes on 5 normal Orcs. No xp. They are not a credible threat to a 15th level fighter. Make them 5, 7th level Barbarian orcs and you get some xp. See what I mean? It only makes sense.

Have you fought anything else?

[ 01-22-2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
homer
Manshoon

After I had left the first screen, I encountered some goblins. I did not receive any experience for them either. I have not tried to go any further because I thought I might have a bad version or something to that effect; I would need to restart anyway. I will attempt to find something more to fight and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

You recieve no xp for kills in WW. The author made it this way much to the dismay of many a gamer. I have read hints that some xp will be rewarded in future installments. Read the Witch Works players guide. I believe It explains the xp process in further detail.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I had just made it to the goblin caves. Thanks for the info. Now I won't be surprised by no xp for killing things. What in the world possessed the designer to give no xp for fighting monsters. That's core to DnD. I liked the idea you could get xp from "furthering the story" but, none for battle?

Our PnP group has used the no xp for non-threatening combat since we play-tested the 3E rules and I have no trouble at all with that. We also expanded it to Star Wars and Spycraft.

Spycraft by the way is an Excellent PnP RPG. If you like James Bond, True Lies or any of the other Spy movies you will love this game.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yep! I played the whole module and got zip for xp when killing any monster or attacker. You get all your xp from roleplay choices, apparently. Nice to hear they may make some modifications in the future! But I did like the mod alot!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

You get xp for finding new areas, learning of quests, finding information and progressing the story. Many of the things that I reward players for as a DM, so the xp systems makes sense to me. BUT I also reward xp for combat and treasure.

I hope they do add xp for combat. That is as much a part of d&d as a good story and roleplaying in my opinion. I do have high praise for the module on the whole.

If you are registered at the official site, they have just released a Witch Works survey that [img]smile.gif[/img] provides the option to give feedback for the xp system.

[ 01-24-2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 01-24-2003, 09:24 AM   #8
homer
Manshoon

I think not awarding experience for killing creatures is ignoring a big part of role-playing fantasy games. If my character is a fighter type and I kill a creature it makes sense to give him experience; he is doing what his character should do. As well, if the character is a mage and he cast a spell, in order to kill a creature, he should be awarded experience. On the other hand, I also believe, a thief who avoids a fight by sneaking past an enemy should be awarded experience; the character is being role-played properly.

This is easy to do when plying a pen and paper role-playing game. However, I imagine this is hard to incorporate into a computer type role-playing game.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:48 PM   #9
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I disagree somewhat. I think the xp system is great. The idea is that you get xp by advancing in the story. Homer, in a sense, you DO get XP for fighting. Just think of it this way:
You have to cross a room full of monsters. When you get to the other side, you get your XP. The thief who sneaks by invisibly gets XP for being sneaky. The fighter who slashes his way across gets XP for battling through the monsters. You just get a lump sum of XP after you finish, instead of a little bit with each kill.
With the standard rules, if I want to play a sneaky thief character who slips past undetected, I get PENALIZED for not fighting. I lose out on potential XP just because I chose not to play a fighter. That is not fair. If you as a fighter and I as a thief accomplish the same goal, we should recieve the same reward. Otherwise you get:
"well, I slid through the shadows, waiting patiently for the guard to look away, but he didn't. I had to use a distraction to get him away from the door so that I could enter the castle. I managed to find a guard uniform and get around undisturbed... I used my brain and knowledge and recieved 5 XP"
and
"Me kill lots stuff. Me get 3000 xp. Me Womp 'em gud."
Lol
How fair is that?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:25 AM   #10
homer
Manshoon

I agree with you up to a certain point, Arnabas. However, look at it this way. Lets say in the given scenario a wizard casts a sleep spell, given all the creatures fall asleep, he then walks through the room; should he receive as much experience as the fighter who fights all the creatures? Or lets say a thief sneaks through said room and some fighter type decides to run on through, maybe taking a little damage but fighting nothing; should the fighter get as much experience as the thief?

A mage is awarded experience for every spell he casts. Taking into account level and difficulty. A fighter is awarded experience whenever he engages in any type of fighting or warfare; again taking the difficulty of the fight into account. As well, a ranger would receive experience for tracking or extracting information from an animal; a thief every, time he picks a lock, or disarms a trap, or fools someone in a particularly cleaver way.

As I indicated, this is how we award experience in the pen and paper role-playing game I participate in. It may not be so easy with a computer role-playing game.

P.S. the girl in your signature is cute [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]