Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2002, 09:41 AM   #1
WhirlingDervish
Dungeon Master

I have played through BG2 many times but have never beaten the Twisted Rune Gang in the Bridge District w/o reloading several times. I am looking for some new tactics that would work for a level 10-12 party. I have tried using the "shield of cheese" (reflects beholder rays), protection from magic and undead scrolls, and other common tactics with limited success....

Will the forum search feature be coming back?

[img]graemlins/1druid.gif[/img]
WhirlingDervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 10:36 AM   #2
Vedran
Lord Soth

In case you haven't noticed... search option is back! It is right between "register" and "FAQ" links .
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 10:37 AM   #3
CrimsonKing
The Magister

It IS back.

*SIGH*

[ 10-20-2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: CrimsonKing ]
Old 10-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
WhirlingDervish
Dungeon Master

Crimson King, I apologize for not not living up to your apparently high standards. Do you find it so amazing that I might have missed a tiny piece of 6 point text in the upper corner of the screen.

*Sigh*

Vedran, Thanks for nicely pointing out the search feature is back.

Old 10-20-2002, 03:30 PM   #5
CrimsonKing
The Magister

Sorry if you took me the wrong way, I was sighing at how when I was writing my post Veldran posted, making my post unneeded.

Sorry again.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
WhirlingDervish
Dungeon Master

No Problem CKing,

I was a little grumpy this morning. Those damn twisted rune's took 6 reloads this time. I suppose that's why I am still playing BG2, it remains challenging even after completing the plot several times.

Of course my difficulty could be because I decided to go with a party of 3 jesters in multiplayer mode this time. (not alot of balance in the party)

Old 10-20-2002, 06:27 PM   #7
JeraalMordeth
Dungeon Master

Here's how I did it with the party of 3.

Fighter 10
Thief 11
Mage 12

OBVIOUSLY HAS SPOILERS!!!

Rescue Aerie and be sure to get the friends spell and ring of human influence. Go work for Maevar so you can get the 10000 gold he pays you, then clean out the Copper Coronet. Return Renfeld's body to the harpers and get the +2 Staff from Xzar. Go to the Adventurer's market and sell the less useful stuff you got since the beginning of the game. I sent Aerie packing right away because I was playing with a custom party. Keep a normal staff for later, and keep EVERY scroll you've found so far, even if you've already written the spell...you're going to neeeed it...

Use the Friends spell and ring of human influence on the mage: Your reputation should be at +4 now...

Buy:
Staff of Rynn
Bracer of Defense: AC 3
Bracer of Defense: AC 4
any rings or amulets of protection you need and can still afford
steal the ring of regeneration, manually, from Ribald

Give the FIGHTER the +4 Staff of Rynn and the Ring of Regeneration(unless you've already beaten Kangaxx, then give it to the thief). I usually have fighter with 2 points in two handed fighting style and try to split between quarterstaff and two handed sword to have most enemies covered. At this point in the game the Staff of Rynn is the best weapon, so use it with your best fighter.

Give MAGE the Bracer of Defense AC3, and the +2 staff you got from Xzar. Have him memorize 4 magic missles, 3 Mirror Image, 1 Detect Invisibility, 1 Fireball, 1 Haste, 2 Stoneskings, 1 Minor Globe of Invulnerability, an Ice Storm, and a Breach

Bracer of Defense AC4 and the Arbane's Sword you got from a mugger to the thief.

Ok, now here's where the tricky part comes in.

When you go into the compound stand by the entrance and cast the Haste and any defensive spells. Have PC(in this case the fighter) cast Draw Upon Holy Might. Hide in Shadow for the thief. Save the game to an alternate file.

Move the characters along the top of the main room to the far right hand corner of the screen and have the thief coat his blade in poison if he is an assassin. At this point if you have a cleric you should put Death Ward on the PC. When the Lich talks to you get ready to pay close attention to the position of the mage that comes up onm the right hand side of the table. If your thief is close enough to it quickly pause and issue a backstab command then unpause. If you did it right she's dead! If it didn't work then you'll have to land a breach spell fast... The lich is still standing down to the lower left by himself. Don't go to the left yet! Have your mage run and grab ths SotM and equip it, but don't use the Spell trap yet either!

There's two fighters and a beholder type left. Use Kai/Berserk to drop them fast. Just target one guy at a time and keep swinging. If the Assassin's Hide in shadows ability is recharged try to get in another backstab, preferably on the Beholder if he's close enough. Remember to use potions of healing, you should have several dozens from the earlier quests. The mage should be working Magic Missiles into the mix while swinging occasionally. When you clean up here take time to heal to the max and replace any fallen defensive spells. Save the Game again to another alternate file.

The lich is still in the lower left! Have mage use SotM and make a Spell Trap. At this point if you have a cleric you should put Death Ward on the PC again. Hide in Shadows, Berzerk, etc. Toss a fireball off the edge of the screen and charge with everything. When the lich disapears use the detect invisibility or detect illusions. Try to pull the thief and fighter back if you start hearing the Time Stop spell wording, but is ok if mage is there since he's out of spells now anyway, and the spell trap...yeah, you get the idea...this is a good time to use potions and cast Draw Upon Holy Might again.

Sometimes Liches cast an annoying spell called "Protection from Magical Weapons" switch out the magical weapons for normals, or cast Dispell effects if you have a scroll. The rest of the battle is just a matter of surviving to deal the damage.
JeraalMordeth is offline   Reply With Quote