Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 10:33 PM   #11
Spirits forever

DO IT !!! TAKE THE CHANCE!!

be agressive, do what it takes, have fun..!

you must play offense...it's where all the action is at!!
plus it's fun!

golie is fun! but defense sucks...cause you don't really get to do anything.....so yea!! Agressive!!

[ 05-06-2004, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Spirits forever ]

Old 05-07-2004, 01:18 AM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The main object in playing defense... be between the opponent and the goal. And preferably the opponent and his options (to pass or whatever).

Always guide him outside -- make sure the easiest way for him to go is towards the sidelines, and not towards the middle of the field.

I made my mark with the slide tackle in high school, and it can be a thing of beauty... just make sure to get the ball first, so there are no penalties.

And to echo what's been said a little differently, always be on the move. It takes more time to get up to speed when you're standing still than when you're heading in the wrong direction, believe it or not.

And for those fancy pants who think you can't have fun on defense, I have scored on defense, and it's just as much fun. And it's more impressive when you realize how far away you might be...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:35 AM   #13
Link
Jack Burton

Defensive huh? I was a defense player for like 8 years, so I know a few hints and tips. Most of 'em have probably been mentioned already, but that's no big deal:

First thing about defending is to stay with your assigned opponent. Your direct opponent shouldn't have one inch of free space, you should be right on top of him. Constantly. Do not let him handle the ball, follow him to wherever he goes (of course, don't take this too far - if he wanders to the opposite of the field, do remain in your assigned position) and don't fear to let him know you're there. Even if he's big, broad and looks like Hulk Hogan: bump into him a couple of times. Football isn't a sport to be friendly and invite him to tea; the nicest one never wins.

Second: if he does indeed get the ball (or some other opponent) NEVER LET YOUR EYES GET OFF THE BALL! This is a golden rule in football. It's the ball that counts, not the fancy movements the player makes. Xen's sig (with Ronaldinho doing his 'Elastico' move) is a good example. The player there follows (up to some point, at least) the body movements of Ronaldinho, therefore not ready to go the opposite way. If your opponent does get past you, make a tackle for the ball. A lot of football players hate to lie on the ground, make slidings and stuff, but they can be 'lifesavers', believe me. A good many times, you'll be able to kick the ball away. A corner, a throw-in: anything's better than a goal. Trust me, I know.

These two things are of main importance. Other things, like standing on your toes to be more alert, always run backwards instead of turning around, use the inside of your foot instead of the point to shoot the ball. These are all technical points that are fairly important, but I'd say the first two are the major ones. Just keep your head, go practice with a ball to get some more feeling to it if you think you need to and you'll do fine.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:55 AM   #14
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Uh... you don`t like me but when you need help you just excpet to help you. OK...

You`re a defenseve player? Remember the defense is probably hardest position to play.

Don`t be to close to the attacker. If you are he can do the elastico tric or just simply pushes the ball away from you and if you are not exsplosive you will have a hard time catching him. (Tackling comes to mind)

Look the legs and ball. If you look your opponent in the body or eyes you will be fooled pretty qucikly. If you decide to dribble don`t do it in front of your own goal.

Also when you have a little space dribble only if neccesary. Fancy movmemanst are only for those who have the right timing and agility. When squeezed just feint left or right with your body.

Also a pass is always better then unecassary dribbling.

Oh and one other thing.

BE RELAXED! I remember once I was not relaxed and couldn`t hit sh*t. I was too nerveous.

You might also "scare" the opponent. When he challenges you give him some space then make your body go to his then stop. (hard to explain) This will usually result as giving you the ball.

Good luck and please don`t be as hard as Genarro Gatusso. (sp?)

Just go with the flow.

[ 05-07-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 05-07-2004, 07:24 AM   #15
GokuZool
Lord Ao

GokuZool's Number One Tip.

Don't always commit into a tackle. Jockey the player and let him make the first move.

(Obviously, this will not always work - sometimes you will have to shut the player down).

[ 05-07-2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 05-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
HELP!! HELP!! XEN AND OTHER FOOTBALL PLAYERS COME HITHER!! I NEED THY AID!!!
Just to nitpick a bit...the word should be "thine" for plurality.

Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
*shows Larry the red card*

Hit the showers dude.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #18
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

The General sends you a handy hint: keep your
eye(s)on the ball.