Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2001, 10:51 AM   #1
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

moni

i'm not bordering on being a nazi - i am smiling as i write this. i think that an interchange of opinions and beliefs is immensly positive. i would have no idea about the traditions of people in the muslim faith if i didn't debate into the night with my friend naim and his relatives and associated cronies. by the way, in england it is pretty offensive to be described as a nazi in any way shape or form (the war, you know) the absolute horror of that time and it's aftermath was incredibly destructive and close friends of mine lost most of their relatives in auschwitz. in fact, i suppose that the meaning of 'nazi' in europe hasn't changed and isn't ever used in jest. anyway, nazism is basically total intolerance to difference be it racial or otherwise - and that simply isn't true of me. so, i forgive you, you probably have no idea how horrible a term it is here. anyway, i don't really know anything about you - but you seem to be a nice lady. fill me in! we don't have to discuss things that you feel uncomfortable with. i must admit though, that i prefer to talk to people on a reasonably deep level otherwise, i don't feel that i know them at all. i'm not a huge fan of 'small talk' one thing i did pickup from a post somewhere, was that you're going into teaching. i'm thinking of doing the same thing. never thought i would as i really hated school, but oddly, i find imparting knowledge fun and i like stroppy teenagers and i'm told i'm very good with them....... don't know how that happenend! it's actually quite an exciting thought, but unsure if i'll stay the course, so to speak. what's your feeling on the teaching thing? subject, motivation, etc., it would be nice to hear your views as i'm sure your education system differs to some degree.

look foreward to hearing from you. (maybe on a different thread if you fancy setting one up?)p'raps any other teachers or would be teachers would join in.

tracey
Yes, let's take this out of the religious debate thread since it's content won't apply to that discussion.

First off I owe you an apology for any deep hurt I caused you by using the term nazi. It would not have crossed my mind to do so had you not used it yourself to describe another who would take such an apparently angry stand toward their own beliefs. It is not a term taken lightly here in the states either as it stands for the same thing here as it does there. Americans on a whole are not sympathizers and I would hate to think that you might think otherwise because of anything I said. Thank you for your forgiveness of my ignorance toward your personal feelings. Hopefully this incident has taught you to consider what terms you are going to use against others, lest you want to be described that way yourself. &

You and I had discussions some time ago in another thread so I am a little hurt that you don't remember me! (j/k its no big deal ) I believe the discussion touched on the subjects of the death penalty and conservation.

There is not a whole lot to say in filling you in unless you want to ask deeper questions which I would answer truthfully and freely, except to say that I am a near-forty American female who has traveled and lived much within the states (including Hawaii) and little without. I have had some college education (computer related) but learned more valuable lessons just through living and meeting a variety of people as I have aged.
I currently reside in the country, er, I mean state of Texas where I take care of my best friend's grandfather, his house, and a bunch of animals (cats, dogs & fish), while I enjoy a life blessed with good health and extreme happiness.

Onto the teaching thing...when I was barely into school, I would get set aside from the rest of the class with a portion of children in the same grade in my trust, bringing them up to par for the grade, teaching them to read, write, and do math. I made a lot of deep and lasting friendships with most of those kids and the personal reward for helping children learn was one that has stayed with me all my life.
It was a dream of mine then to become a school teacher but growing up proved to be more difficult than I had ever imagined and I lost sight of many personal goals, teaching being one of them.
Now that I am much older and in a situation where I have a lot of time on my hands and the freedom to do anything I want with it, I think making that dream come to light would be the one of the greatest accomplishments I could make before I die, in being able to leave the world with a few bettered, if not better, people in it behind me.
I don't know the levels of violence that occur in your country but here, it is a life-taking risk to put yourself into the hands of school children anymore and I am very leery of taking on teenagers as anything more than a counselor, (I weigh in at only 98 lbs) so I am going for the younger crowd, grades K-3, in an effort not just to teach but to reach children through friendship and love before their views of the world become as jaded as most teenagers' seem to be. This is not a choice I make through fear alone however, as some of the teachers I had in my first years of school were kind and loving women who made positive impressions on me that remain to this day. I think that is an important factor.

Well, seeing that I cannot think of anything else to add, I am going to leave this discussion open for you to comment and ask me anything you want to, or for others, students and teachers alike, to join in and give us their views and ask any questions they want to as well.
Rex is asking me to go into the city with him right now and I find his invitations hard to resist since we always have so much fun going out and doing things together, no matter how tedious some of them may be.

Talk To You Later,
Take Care

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-21-2001).]

Old 07-21-2001, 12:47 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I teach. I've taught Tertiary Music, Voice and Creative Expression/Songwriting at some Christian Bible/Music colleges on and off for the last 5 or 6 years.

Tertiary teaching is pretty enjoyable as the students all want to be there, and sacrifice much to do so. The keenness, but also the expectations and knowledge hunger are much higher. When I started I was younger than most of my students so I had to treat them as equal rather than "children" and founded respect based on knowledge and friendly rapport rather than control and fear etc.

Teaching in Singapore has included some of the most rewarding and fulfilling times of my life. When you give something back, enable someone else to achieving part realisation of their dreams, the joy is indescribable. A link too is formed that survives the tuition period, even if contact is lost.

Father Bronze is a high school teacher. Father?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 07-22-2001, 12:28 AM   #3
Moni

Yorick,
Too Cool! Thank you for your input!
I haven't seen Father Bronze around in a while.
Saz is a teacher too.
Saz, anything from you on the subject?

Bumping this so it will be near the top when Tracey checks in tomorrow.
Goodnight everyone. I have an early day (and a busy one) ahead of me.

Moni

------------------

Old 07-22-2001, 07:31 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

bump for Moni & tracey

------------------

Old 07-22-2001, 10:21 PM   #5
Fljotsdale

bump
Old 07-23-2001, 08:02 PM   #6
Fljotsdale

Here you go, Tracey.

F.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
tracey
Manshoon

moni

i do remember you very well indeed, actually. why did you think i didn't? puzzled expression on face. just a quick word on the nazi topic - i used the term in connection with j**** because he is one, and if i were too, i wouldn't object to being referred to as such. anyway, having got that sorted, i think it's great that you've decided to go into a councelling role? in england, it depends what school you attend as the levels of interest/potential problems that are encountered by teachers. my elder son goes to a very nice school as is currently studying for his 'A' levels. he eventually wants to join the police force for some bizarre reason - just hope he never 'busts' me! (how very embarassing) i find his friends are willing to debate and learn, but i never treat them like teenagers - more as mates while retaining a certain air of 'no nonsense after 4.pm. please, young man'. i suppose, like you, i believe that children need to have more teachers who don't behave like officers and tend towards a more respectful and tolerant attitude towards their backgrounds and problems. i intend to teach teenagers as i find them interesting and my
own exp of being at school was v. bad and negative. it's only a recent desire and it's not something i would want to do forever. but a couple of years' teaching would, i think, be a valuable experience for me and the puplils!

in england, you have to be a graduate and then take a post graduate certificate of eduation in order to qualify to teach. there is a huge shortage here at the moment, probably because it's a stressful occupation with lots of red tape and beaurocracy. however, i do think it's worthwhile and although quite a few ex-teachers have tried to dissuade me since i 'came out' i'll ignore the negative flack and enroll quite soon on a pgce. i also think that we're at a good age to enter teaching in whatever form as i'm 36 and happy with who i am, therefore i doubt i'll be struggling to control a class. i can be very stern indeed!

actually, here, there are a number of inner city schools that are dire with high levels of pupil violence and abuse. few teachers want to enter their gates, strangely, i'm more attracted by 'problem' children as i have a handle on why they behave the way they do - i was suspended from school a couple of times and remember how hard it was to concentrate or be interested in the subjects.... i did very badly at school and failed all of my exams. later on though, i went to college for 2 years' and then to university for a further 3 and did extremely well in both. i was written off, i suppose, as a child who would always be 'bad' and 'stupid' - how wrong they were! i too, would like to offer children like me the opportunity to excel or simply to achieve something - have a goal or ambition and have it taken seriously and be genuinely encouraged on a daily basis to get there. too many teachers just give up and fall into a rut themselves. councellors are very important in that role. they give children time to think and reflect and develop in ways that are not copies of their parents'. when do you intend to start on your road? mine will probably be in january 2002. i get the feeling we're going to needs lots of encouragement and support.

yorick

music eh? nice. my friend matt teaches music and drama to children who've been expelled (excluded) from mainstream schools. he says it's bloody hard work. mind you, after, 5 years' he's moving on to head a music dept. in a normal school - he's currently breathing huge sighs of relief and looking foreward to entering a school building without the fear of physical violence. i'm assuming your position is a bit nicer. i hope so. it sounds really lovely. it must be wonderful to teach a subject that you love - i gather you do recording and stuff too? is this a spare time activity/hobby or something closer to your heart? and do you record for other people or yourself?

i'm with you on the friendly rapport front - children loathe controlling and manipulative teacher's. in fact, when i was at school, it was the shouters that got the most flack from us. they were so easy to wind up, it was almost cruel. still, i've got a huge amount to learn, so information and/or advice would be most lovely.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:15 PM   #8
Moni

I did not think you remembered me because you said, "i don't really know anything about you - but you seem to be a nice lady. fill me in!"

I am not going into a counseling role for teenagers. That is the only role I would be able to handle with them. Sorry for that misunderstanding!
I am hoping to become qualified for grades K-3, youngsters aged 5-8.
As well as I get on with teenagers in the general public, I am not sure I would fare so well in a role as their teacher, being so little and all...most 12 year olds are bigger than me.

My own son wanted to join the military from the time he was thirteen until the day before they were to ship him off to basic training at age 18. Who knows what changed his mind but if your son does become a policeman, I certainly hope he never has to haul his mother in!

I think teaching would be a valuable experience for you and your students! Who knows, it just might be something you decide you want to stick with after you get a taste of what it is like.

I am drawn to problem children myself. Having been one, I think I can relate to what kids have to deal with, even though everyone's personal situation is different. I can definitely relate to being written off as "bad" and "stupid" as a kid...I had one of the worst mothers on the planet and still can't relate to her on a friendly basis since she lives to produce hate in everyone she has contact with (some people are just evil).
I do feel that I have a lot to offer in positive ways on a personal level with kids who have a hard time at home and allow it to disrupt their learning process. I was good at it as a kid, even though I never applied that knowledge to myself and eventually failed through a lack of desire to participate any more. I dropped out at age 17 and ran away from home but I returned to school, got a diploma and went on to college, where I excelled in the courses I took.
I know even more now so I think I'll do well.
Teaching such young children, I probably won't find myself in too many situations where I'll have to be overly stern which comforts me since I don't like conflict, esp with children, not to mention it makes my heart hurt (physically) and expends more energy than I can replenish in a short period of time.

Tomorrow morning I am checking in for books and schedules so I imagine it will be fairly soon that my time will be consumed by study and my desire to succeed.

Hugs,
Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 07-23-2001).]

Old 07-24-2001, 03:21 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Tracey, I'm a professional musician. I make most of my living either as a hired singer for studio work, or producing/engineering/programming/playing on independent records. I have been teaching for the last five or six years as well, only part time though - except when I'm in Singapore where they work me like a dog.

I've had some records out in Australia, but being an original artist in Australia sucks money rather than making it

I didn't do a music or education degree. I was fortunate enough to be thrown in with some guru producers at a relatively young age, learned at their feet, and then just did it. Learnt from experience, trial and error and listening.

So you 'came out'? I can't imagine your JW Mum took that too well One guy I've worked with is an ex JW in a similar situation, though apparently with a worse relationship with his Mum than you have.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 07-24-2001, 09:21 AM   #10
Moni

Yorick,
Do you have anything available in the U.S. that one could find perusing the local music store shelves?
If any of us who don't live there make it to Australia, what titles would we look for in the music stores there?
I have listened to a little of what you have uploaded onto Stealthy's site and would be interested in sharing it with people I know would enjoy having it.
Thanks.

Moni

------------------