Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

Thieves:

Do theives have an option to disarm traps? I can detect them well enough but cannot seem to disarm them other than just walking through them. That's annoying when there is a trapped door that you MUST go through. Am I missing something on thieving abilities?

Swords:

Spoiler
Where can I get a flaming long sword? I know that I can kill one of the prisoners in DE4 to get it but can I do so anywhere else?

Dragon's Eye Level 4:

Spoiler
The previous question leads me to this one. I would like to collect the goodies that the prisoners are carrying but shouldn't I have some moral issues about doing so? All of my characters except my Paladin are Chaotic Good. Will killing the prisoners affect my characters in any way? Especially my Paladin who I don't want to get into trouble.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes, thieves can disarm. Use the same icon that you use for lockpicking and pickpocketing (looks like a mask).

The only flaming long sword that I can recall is owned by the lead adventurer on DE lvl 4. However, you can get a flaming two-handed sword from Conlan (assuming you have HoW installed). It's called Trollslayer. It's only a +1 against non-trolls, but it's a +4 against trolls. Not a bad weapon for a second-row melee fighter, especially against anything that takes extra damage from fire.

No, there is no reputation damage for killing the adventurers, presumably because nobody except you and the enemy knows that they are there. No consequences. If you're worried about the roleplaying "moral" element, just let your unintelligent characters kill them and argue that you thought they were disguised yuan-ti mages.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Roboghost
Manshoon

Once a trap is detected by spell or thief...just use the button that looks like a mask to disarm the trap (press the button and hold it over the trap and press it one more time.)
1. If your trap skill is isn't high enough - nothing will happen!
2. If you have a Cleric/Thief - that thief button resides within your special abilities area (a pain.)

Don't look...

You can get a Mage Dagger +2 on DE 4 as a random item in that chest in the middle and get a Large Sword +2 (Fire) as a random item in DE 5 in one of the three chests [right chest against back wall] in the first keyhole area you explore (you'll be opening three doors to get to it.) Lot's of traps.

Finally:
You can get these items off the innocents without killing them...yourself. Make someone invisible and follow the prisoners around - they'll take away some of your experience points, but you can see this as payment for the goods.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Will the prisoners go kill the yuanti summoner?
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Eventually, I think. I've always found it simpler to go kill the summoner myself - it's faster.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Roboghost:

1. If your trap skill is isn't high enough - nothing will happen!
The trap can go off and do its damage.

I think there is a random sword with +1 fire damage on level 4 of DE other than the one carried by the adventurer. I Think it is in one of the southern rooms. But I could be mistaken.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Roboghost
Manshoon

Yea...you can get zapped too by the trap if you fail to tame it: ouch.

The prisoners will kill some of the bad guys, but not all. If in HoF, it is a good idea to nail the Summoner ASAP [the summons' go after you and leave the prisoners alone.]

There is no Long Sword +1 of fire in DE 4, but there is...

a Fire Dagger +2 (it competes with the Mage Dagger +2 as a random item.)

Spoiler alert (some random items for DE4 & DE5):
Dragon's Eye -- Level 4: (Creepy Monks Level)
-Life Dagger +2 (15% chance heals user 1d6 HP, +5 max HP)
-Ol' Withery Dagger +2 (2% chance Finger of Death)
-Fire Dagger +2 (50% chance of 1d4 fire dmg)
-Mage Dagger +2 (+1 AC, +1 1st & 2nd level spells)
AND
-Fast Flail +2 (+3 dmg, +1 attack per round)
-Corrosive Hammer +2 (+3 dmg, 30% chance of 1d4 acid dmg)
-Mace of Weal & Woe (+3 dmg vs. lawful, 13% chance Curse)
-Selune's Promise Mace (+4 dmg vs. spectral undead)
-Peacekeeper (Club +3)

Dragon's Eye -- Level 5: (The Snake Goddess)
-Nothing {this one bites}
-Intercession (Long Sword +1, +2 AC)
-Spell Diver (Short Sword +2, 50% hits nullify magic)
-Bastard Sword of Action +1 (1 extra attack)
-Bastard Sword +2 Life Giver (5% to heal user 1-10 hp)
-The Sword of Days (Short Sword +3, 25% target is slowed)
-Flaming Long Sword +2 (1d3 fire dmg, 10% resist fire)
AND
-The Bitch Queen's Envoy Shld (+3 AC, not usable lawful)
-The Red Knight's Shield (+4 AC, not usable chaotic)

[ 04-28-2006, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Spoiler

If you want to roleplay a fight between your party and the prisoners, another option is for your mage to "accidentally" set off a fireball too close to one of them. Once they turn on your party, your paladin should have no moral objections.

Side note--Anyone have an explanation for why the yuan-ti go to the trouble to lock up their prisoners, but leave them fully equipped with their arms and armor?
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

As a technicality, they didn't know that the adventurers were alive. They played dead, if I recall.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote