Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
PeeWee
Manshoon

I just got thru replying to another post where I had a few questions about the rules of the game...

Is this the correct way to interpret the way MR is used along with a saves throw:

spells or spell like abilities will always have either saves throw neg for no dmg , 1/2 for half dmg , or special for any other means dmg is calculated.

Some spells or abilities will overlook any resist. There will be certain situations where a description will be given, if the player character is using an ability or spell, stating if the npc makes a saves throw, dmg will be gauged on this alone and won't factor in resist. Here magic resist won't be checked. Like a side effect of using a club with +3 fire on a fire elemental here will cause 3 extra fire dmg to the elemental even tho it will be 100% fire resistant.

Other times, magic resist will be checked during the last stage of dmg calculation based on that npc's resist to your specific spell/or some ability.

There are times when your saves throw will lessen the dmg taken and if you have any resist against spell or ability, this will lessen the dmg even further. There are times when there are no saves throws made.

example: I have a 25% fire protection cloak on. I'm hit by a fire breathing dragon. I will have to see how much dmg is done first.

He deals out 50 fire based breathe dmg. I look to my saves throw chart and have to beat my breathe number of 11. I roll a 14 and Now have to see if it's Neg or 1/2 or falls under special. I take 1/2 dmg even when I make a successful roll. So now I take 25 dmg.

Now from that, I add my resist. 25% of the dmg is resisted since it's fire based. So I take 20 dmg from the hit.

Is all that correct so far?

Now comes in the effects of using a weapon...

What happens when I make a succesful hit with an item that deals +3 fire dmg against an npc like a fire elemental? If the description of the weapon didn't say anything about ignoring resist, then the fire elemental wouldn't suffer from +3 fire dmg correct? Assuming he's 100% fire resistant, what happens here? He gets the dmg from the melee calculation, but since he's 100% resistant to the fire, does he get +3 hp or something like that?

Just curious and mostly tired.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

You're figuring everything correctly so far. Make any saving throws, calculate how much damage is applied, then reduce that damage by any resistances that might exist. Someone who is 100% fire resistant suffers the effects of an Incendiary Cloud spell (they are hit) but suffer no damage. Having more than 100% resistance to something doesn't heal anyone, at least not that I have observed.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #3
daan
Silver Dragon

Try drinking a few + 50% fire-resistance potions and then fight fiirkraag. Atleast i did, he beat me up real good, byt when i was at 20 hp or something, he did his double fire-breath thingie and i was up and running again [img]smile.gif[/img]

Alternatively, summon a fire-elemental in the shadowlord-dungeon, and make him stand on the lava, past the bridge. He'll be practically invincible, he beat 4 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies and 2 bone golems ( 2x group encounter) on his own.
And he was back to uninjured a while after that.

So 100+ % does work, 100 % wont do a thing, 101% will.
Im not sure how exactly it works though, so i dont know how
10 fire damage would affect a 150% any different than a 110% ....
Im guessing 5 damage and 1 damage, but that would create some problems.

I mean, lets say 3 points fire damage and 101% resistant.
According to me, that would be 0.01 x 3 = 0.03 hp
which seems very unlikely.

Anywayz, 100 + resistance works wonders [img]smile.gif[/img]
try it sometime
Old 02-05-2002, 04:31 PM   #4
PeeWee
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by daan:
Try drinking a few + 50% fire-resistance potions and then fight fiirkraag. Atleast i did, he beat me up real good, byt when i was at 20 hp or something, he did his double fire-breath thingie and i was up and running again [img]smile.gif[/img]

Alternatively, summon a fire-elemental in the shadowlord-dungeon, and make him stand on the lava, past the bridge. He'll be practically invincible, he beat 4 skeleton warriors, 2 greater mummies and 2 bone golems ( 2x group encounter) on his own.
And he was back to uninjured a while after that.

So 100+ % does work, 100 % wont do a thing, 101% will.
Im not sure how exactly it works though, so i dont know how
10 fire damage would affect a 150% any different than a 110% ....
Im guessing 5 damage and 1 damage, but that would create some problems.

I mean, lets say 3 points fire damage and 101% resistant.
According to me, that would be 0.01 x 3 = 0.03 hp
which seems very unlikely.

Anywayz, 100 + resistance works wonders [img]smile.gif[/img]
try it sometime

That's what I was thinking. Read it here for this game and I know there is another game that acts the same way dealing with resists. I don't wanna jump the gun and say EQ used to be like that. Anyways, that just reminds me I have EQ duties to fulfill now too. hrm.

And instead of running around and getting lost lookin for the leg and arm for Gaxx today, I went ahead and spent some time looking for Kraag. Maybe I'll have that chance to try it out since we on that topic.

SPOILER
-
-
-
-
I just got the helm that "sets" your resist for fire/cold/electricity to 25%. Does this override a higher resist item or combination of items? I was getting a bit bored and tired of searching that dungeon and decided ya guys here might know straight off( of course I can load up and spend a few minutes checking if I saved that area, dunt think I did tho =/). And this dungeon is one area I would definitely take a solo mage to, well the parts I'm now exploring provided she/he has the Staff of the Magi. Staff of the Magi is working wonders for the hit and cloak tactics.

I think I'ma make an effort in killing that dragon today. Dunno the layout or what's in store even with all the information I'm coming across about him. Gonna be fun.....if I make sure I still have those potions.

Hrm, double fire breath... can't wait.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #5
Haladar
Dungeon Master

The more than 100% healing effect only works in BG2. Once you have ToB installed, it no longer works.