Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2002, 06:30 PM   #21
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ezekial:

Also I feel the ONLY Hobit portrayed well was Sam!
<hr></blockquote>

I agree.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 07:10 PM   #22
Tancred
White Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ezekial:
Cutting Tom wasn't so bad (for the film) but cutting the barrow sequence was. As it is the swords they have are no longer special in any way (in the books they were very effective against ringwraiths...killing the leader anyone?!?).
<hr></blockquote>

Well, Aragorn seemed to duel with the Ringwraiths effectively enough... perhaps - gasp - in the film you don't need a 'special' sword to kill a ringwraith?
After all, having to go into detail about the makers of the blades and Westernesse and the war against Angmar and the Witch-King etc etc would only slow things down and give the general moviegoing public far too much to take in at one sitting. It's an understandable decision to change the origin of the knives, I think.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:46 PM   #23
Helspanth
Quintesson

A little late but...
Gandalf did not know of the Balrog in the books.
He knew that there was somenthing evil in Moria but not about the Balrog.
A quote from the first book
..."Ai!Ai!" wailed Legolas"A Balrog.A balrog is come!"
Gimli stared with wide eyes "Durin's Bane" he cried and letting his axe fall he covered his head.
"A Balrog" muttered Gandalf."Now I understand"...
It is quite clear that Gandalf didn't know about the Balrog!
As for the Bombandil issue and the hobbit adventures until Bree I amdelighted that they cut it!I have read the book many times but I cannot stand that part.It is not a tru part of LotR BTW but a Hobbit leftover.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:16 AM   #24
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

it was eowyn who killed the lord of the nazgul.merry(or pippin i can't remember)just distracted him.lol.i guess cutting someones tendons behind the knee will get their attention.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 08:21 PM   #25
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

The door has elvish because it was made by elves and dwarves, hences having the two trees, and Durin's symbol on it, which is clearly portrayed in the book and film.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:06 AM   #26
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by khazadman:
it was eowyn who killed the lord of the nazgul.merry(or pippin i can't remember)just distracted him.lol.i guess cutting someones tendons behind the knee will get their attention.<hr></blockquote>

IIRC it was Merry (or Pippin?) who slew the rangwraith, using the sword from the barrow downs. Aragorn later said it alone had the power to kill the undead. He fell ill after that, and had to be healed by Aragorn, who also healed Eowyn and Faramir.

I'd like to see how they portray the Ents (Treeberad especially!), and the Hourns. I don't think they'll be cutting *that* out, as they are such an integral part of Book Two, seeing how they caused Saruman's downfall at Isengard.

BTW, they never did find any Entwives in the books, did they?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:47 AM   #27
Tancred
White Dragon

There's two schools of thought about that. One says that Merry's dagger broke the spells that kept the Witch-King bound to the Earth, and that killed him. The other says Merry's dagger weakened the spells, allowing Eowyn to slay him. The prophecy surrounding his downfall reads 'not by the hamd of Man shall he fall.' It is unclear whether it means a human who is not a man (Eowyn), a creature that is not a man (Merry) or both. Malbeth the Seer seems to be notorious in lore for never being very clear!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:28 PM   #28
khazadman

no,they never did find the entwives.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:10 PM   #29
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I just re-read the passage last night. Eowyn (in her guise as Dernhelm) killed the winged steed that the ringwraith was riding. She decapitated the beast in one blow. The ringwraith was unhorsed (so to speak) and using his great black mace struck Eowyn.
The blow was fended, but in the process her shield arm was broken, and the shield splintered. The nazgul was about to deliver the killing blow when Merry crept behind it and stabbed it behind the knee.
The blade, I think, dispelled the magic that held the nazgul to the mortal plane, and it 'dissolved' into nothingness.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:54 PM   #30
khazadman

no it says that merry cut him from behind and he dropped to one knee and eowyn(dernhelm) thrust her blade into the cowl he wore,under the crown.sounds like a poke in the eye to me.