Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2001, 12:32 PM   #21
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Moni: well you are a busy bee in that yard! I love the look of asparagus fern but they can be messy when they dry out and drop all their leaves...er, I think they need water...yes, I'm quite sure that's what mine was missing...er before it turned all brown...LOL! I had one in college. Needless to say, it didn't survive.
LOL CloudKiller
Grandpa planted asparagus lace under his window years ago and it has thrived on lots of water. Since it is said to be so hard to grow, everyone was afraid to touch it and it went wild eventually, working its way behind the window awning and up into the roof.
This spring, I tore it down to the ground and let it lay there while I did all the needed repairs to the window and house behind it.
When I went to put it back up, I was reminded of what a pain it is to untangle Christmas lights LOL!
I ended up losing about half the length on each vine because of the way it wrapped around itself and strangled the middle portion of itself to death but it looks like it has survived my cutting, unwinding and threading through the trellises and there is new growth which is promising.
The asparagus fern gets plenty of water lol, I have never had one prior to now but Grandma made me promise before she gave it to me that I would put it where it would get plenty of shade and plenty of water. So far, so good.

Quote:
I got pruning guides last year. Do I look at them before pruning my roses, winterberries, barberries or mugo pines? Nah! So far everything is thriving. The rabbits did a whole lot of free 'pruning' for me on several of my rosesbushes (all mine are low maintenance rugosas)and all but ate two of the little winterberries to the ground!(deciduous holly for anyone who isn't familiar with it!) I started the winterberry as little seedlings from our Conservation and Wildlife group 4 yrs ago. Looked so silly, planting twigs in my clay mud...sigh..but now 7 of the 10 are at least 2ft high and almost as wide and 4 have berried!!!! Nothing so pretty as those bright red berries on bare branches in the winter snow!

Cloudy

Wow! Your winterberries sound like a delight to behold! Congratulations on your successes!

I think I will need the pruning guide, lol...for the first year I was here, everything I touched died, much to my dismay as I had been planting and potting sucessfully for many many years prior to my arrival in Texas.
It took me almost two years to bring Rex's late grandmother's only surviving houseplant, a philedendron, back to life. When I was down to the last three inches of live stem with no leaves I was ready to cry if it had died. It now has three leaves and a brand new shoot sprouting up next to it now so I am sure it will survive me LOL! It was devastating to know I could possibly kill one of the heartiest plants on the planet!

I just spent the last couple of hours re-caulking the window edges and priming the aluminum awnings that I'll be putting back up after I paint them and figure out how to construct two new braces for one that had fallen apart from neglect. I am excited to get the project finished so that I can plant that jasmine and move around to the other side of the house where my own windows are and start on a whole new set of cut-out awnings...I am thinking of road runners and maybe coyotes over there.

I would love to add a lilac to the grounds (i.e. under my own windows lol) but I am afraid they might require more water than we are willing to put out in the summertime...they are more northern plants after all but can grow sucessfully 'round these parts. I guess I can settle for the bougainvilea, which itself will require enough water and can grow wild all over the whole side of the house whenever I get around to getting it in the ground.

Happy gardening!

Moni

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 12:35 PM   #22
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i have a question!

how often do you water you plants? moni or cloudy, or whoever is funny.. nah im just making that rhyme

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-03-2001, 12:46 PM   #23
Moni

Hiya Bahamut!
It all depends on the type of plants...some I water lightly twice a day (the ferns) some only once a day (most everything else), some when the soil starts to dry out, and then I have two (I forget what they are lol) that only get watered once they have completely dried out.

I let the rains take care of my aloe vera and most of the trees in the yard.

Philedendrons can grow in soil kept moist or pure water.

Best bet for any plants you don't know about but know the names of is to do a search on the internet on them...you'll usually find at least one page dedicated to how to take care of them.

Moni

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 01:01 PM   #24
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

ahh... no, im just asking in general..teehee.. cloudy!, umm stormqueen, reain over my garden!!!

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-03-2001, 01:31 PM   #25
Neb
Account deleted by Request

If you want storms you should pray to Talos, oh wait, we aren't in the Forgotten Realms, (thank goodness we aren't, I couldn't stand being on the same world as that damn Elmunchkin for a second,) pray to Thor in that case, he's a storm-god.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:39 PM   #26
Moni

That or just look at the nearest storm cloud and tell it like you mean it;
"Come this way!"

Moni

------------------

Old 06-03-2001, 02:40 PM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Hey Cloudysniffler,

I hope you keep those plants alive for longer than you managed with your Wizards and Warriors party. Hmm, wonder what the average life expectancy on those annuals are (should I go for the obvious year, or will I get better odds if I bet on 3 to 6 months - what's the spread ).

Sigh, can't afford a weeder anymore - may have to do some myself if the rain clears tomorrow (Davros does quick rain dance and asks Cloudy for a few more showers).

Ahem...I made it to the graveyard today and nobody died! I'm still not sure what's where, and the perspective makes me seasick, but I'm learning!

My annuals live right up to the first killing frosts, dear doubting Davros!

Cloudy, with plenty of rain today...sigh...

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-03-2001).]
Old 06-03-2001, 04:56 PM   #28
Gaelic
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Teehee! Did you use regular grass seed and fight off the hungry birds or that fancy hydroseed style patch system they have out now? My whole lawn was originally hydroseeded. Amazing process, spraying seed/paper all over my nice bare clay lot and a month later, I had WEEDS and some nice little sparse grass. Four yrs later I am ripping out lawn in big patches and replacing frantically with shrubs, trees and planting areas for annuals/perennials! Grass grew really well, incredibly well and I hate mowing the lawn!

Regular old grass, my dog fights off the birds (and sometimes the grass). I keep checking on it every hour or so just to see if it's done yet, LOL.

In fact, I have to go water it.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-03-2001, 08:12 PM   #29
Gaelic
Elminster

UPDATE: Grass is wet and continues to grow. Dirt less visible with each passing hour.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-03-2001, 08:15 PM   #30
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
UPDATE: Grass is wet and continues to grow. Dirt less visible with each passing hour.

ROTFL!!!! What? Did you cast HASTE on that grass seed?!!!

CloudGiggler

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever