Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
(CNN) -- Former Republican Sen. J. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, the longest-serving member of the upper house of Congress, died Thursday night. He was 100.
-
The colorful and sometimes controversial lawmaker, who held his first public office in the late 1920s died at 9:45 p.m at a hospital in his hometown of Edgefield, South Carolina, where he had been living since retiring earlier this year, family members said in a statement released to local media.
Just saw the announcement from CNN Breaking News in my emails and thought I would pass it along.

Here is the Full Story from CNN's website.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:42 AM   #2
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, saw that eariler on Fox...1902-2003...That in its self is quite an accomplishment, never mind everyting else he did.

[ 06-27-2003, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 06-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I heard him speak when I was in college, 1968 or so. The hippies were out after him, the usual left-wing if-we-don't-like-what-you're-saying-we-won't-let-anyone else-hear-you crap. They threw marshmallows at him. He didn't even flinch.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:00 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Light Bulb

Considering he was a staunch segregationist, I would think that not just the nanny left would have had a problem with him by the 60's, Atty.

His record for the longest Senate fillibuster (24hrs 18mins) was against the Civil Rights Act, if I recall my history lesson accurately. He hated blacks THAT much.

Nevertheless, I would have leaped at the opportunity to hear him speak, so I envy you.

[ 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 06-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Considering he was a staunch segregationist, I would think that not just the nanny left would have had a problem with him by the 60's, Atty.

His record for the longest Senate fillibuster (24hrs 18mins) was against the Civil Rights Act, if I recall my history lesson accurately. He hated blacks THAT much.
But then loved them once they got the vote [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
MagiK

Can't argue about his voting record on those issues once her "changed his mind" though Rokken. But all in all I have to say...I will be far more sad when Bob Hope finly dies than about old Strom.....

Oh and by the way....Hate is not the only motivating factor behind people who wanted segregation. There were people of both colors who were for segregation. There were people who really wanted "seperate but equal". It is the nanny left (as someone calls them) who want you to believe everyone who was for segregation was a rabid hate monger. Problem is, people these days don't seem to know what "hate" is...they claim you hate them if you so much as disagree with them.

[ 06-27-2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-27-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

You got it right about the libs Magic. Something we don't hear about Thurmond was that he was the first congressman from the south from either party to bring in blacks on his staff.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
You got it right about the libs Magic. Something we don't hear about Thurmond was that he was the first congressman from the south from either party to bring in blacks on his staff.
Wow. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] Did not know that. That IS something you don't hear everyday.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #9
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

He also was very active in passing the Martin Luther King Holiday. They quoted him on the radio as saying "you have to change with the times" concerning race relations. I personally found that to be quite remarkable coming from someone of his age. Most people don't change their views much when they were that old.

Of course, there is another thing to look up to him for. He married a 20-something year old woman and fathered a child when he was like 76 or so! Got to admire a man that "active" [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I understand that the last couple of years before he retired from the senate, he lived at the Naval Hospital in D.C. and was a favorite with the nurses there. Now that's the way to be when you are 100!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am never sad when people over 100 die.

The way I look at it if they can live to be over 90 with very little health problems then they have had a decent life and have been blessed with a long life. They should be celebrated, I think I would prefer to go out and have a few beers to toast the man's life than mourn.