Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Every once in awhile I get the urge to play an old game like Betrayal at Krondor or Stonekeep. Trouble is, both these games think my 'puter doesn't have enough memory to run them. :| Now I know this isn't the case, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Is there any sort of program or patch I can get, or web site I can visit that can help me play my old stuff? I really don't want to dig out my P75...

Thanks a bunch.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I haven't tried it myself, but a friend of mine mentioned a free program you can load from the net called DOSBOX. Try doing a search for it, it enables you to play those older games on newer PCs [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Here's one link for it I found:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php?page=0

[ 03-14-2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 03-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Thats the same program I use. Older versions had their shortcomings, but the latest works with most older games.

If that fails, you can try running with a properly configured instance of command.com, moslo and VDMsound. If that sounds like fun to you, you havent tried to set it all up.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Ah, okay. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thank you both.
I am scurrying off to try the dosbox.
I've been fooling around with the compatibility wizard for a longer time than I care to admit. Frankly it woulda been easier to dig out my old puter.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 05:34 AM   #5
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

If they requires extended memory (EMS), and if you're using a quite new OS, EMS is disabled by default.

I did this for getting Master of Magic to work on WinME, and I think it does the same in XP. It's easy to undo the changes you make, so I'd give it a shot:

Start->Run, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks)
Choose the system.ini-tab
Find a directory-looking thing called [386Enh] (was the 4th thingy from the top for me)
Uncheck the checkbox next to "EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF" ('twas the 8th entry in [386Enh] fer me)
Click OK, restart your puter, and you should be able to edit the EMS settings of proggies (MoM worked fine fer me with all memory settings set to auto)
Old 03-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #6
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Gnarf,
I bet that works here. I got DOSbox and ended up spending another chunk o' time and still not getting the game to work. I was still getting those out of memory error messages. I finally gave up and went to bed.

I'm not gonna try it tonight though. I just had another marathon work day so for now I'm gonna eat a cookie, take a shower, and bother the dog. Not necessarily in that order.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thank ya! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

OK, checking the DosBox database, Stonekeep is listed as broken. Listed errors are a problem with the mouse which sounds playable but incredibly annoying, and someone else that claims it can't see the CD.

Those errors were listed for 0.60. I wouldnt hold out much hope for this one.

Betrayal at Krondor is listed as running near perfect, although as always someone claims it dosent run.

I've never seen a memory error under recent DosBox. What system do you have, what are you doing when you run DosBox, what precise error do you get?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
Marikai
Dungeon Master

You could simply try and set it up so that it is compatable to a version of windows lower then the version your running.

I had to decrease the version on a good game i play. It works just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Its in properties somewhere... try and dig it up and change it to windows 95, win98 or maybe 2000.?
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
OK, checking the DosBox database, Stonekeep is listed as broken. Listed errors are a problem with the mouse which sounds playable but incredibly annoying, and someone else that claims it can't see the CD.

Those errors were listed for 0.60. I wouldnt hold out much hope for this one.

Betrayal at Krondor is listed as running near perfect, although as always someone claims it dosent run.

I've never seen a memory error under recent DosBox. What system do you have, what are you doing when you run DosBox, what precise error do you get?
I haven't tried BaK yet. I've been fooling around with Stonekeep so I guess I'll just give that one up. The error I get is an "out of memory cache xxxxxx bytes" or something similar to that.

My puter is a Dell Dimension DIM 2350, P4 CPU, 1.8 GHz, 256MB RAM. The Dosbox I'm using is 6.1 I tried to DL 6.0, but I kept getting a corrupt file that wouldn't open.

That's good news about BaK. It's one of my all time favorite games. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Marikai:
You could simply try and set it up so that it is compatable to a version of windows lower then the version your running.

I had to decrease the version on a good game i play. It works just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]

Its in properties somewhere... try and dig it up and change it to windows 95, win98 or maybe 2000.?
I tried that with SK and it didn't work. It just flat refuses to play. It would be nice to play it again, but it ain't gonna kill me not too. Good news about BaK though. [img]smile.gif[/img]