Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2000, 08:40 AM   #1
Xyarxius

Hi...I'm BRAND new to RPG's and so BG2 is my first attempt at the genre.

Currently I am on the first level and have basically done most things and have been in every room. I've obviously had a few battles and won them all but am still not totally at ease !!

I haven't used much magic so far and Minsc with his bow & arrow has saved my bacon a few times. How do you folks go about combat ??

Say you went into a room (like the Air Elemental) and were jumped on by 4/5 mephits...what would you do ? What tactics would you employ ? I have imoen, jaheira, minsc and me (fighter). Do I just hack & slash or are there any of imoen's spell's which would make these sort of hectic battles a bit easier ?

For me this is probably the hardest part of the game so far and to be honest at times I feel as if I'm not in control. Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2000, 09:57 AM   #2
Midas.Touch

I know exactly how u feel - I'm in the position as you (just finished the 1st chapter).

The good thing is there are loads of ways and probably everyone who replies will have their own way. As soon as we have our confidence we will be whooping the compuer no problem.

My 2 cents worth was getting Jaheira or Imeon to summon a monster and stand a little behind with everyone and shoot who ever comes (that seemed to work!!). Some people are good at the front (your character will probably be one) and get the others to stand back.

Good luck!!! (I think we might need it)

Old 12-25-2000, 10:21 AM   #3
Jon the Hell Caster

1.Send Minsc and You at them and maybe Jaheria.
2.Cast spells like insect plague.
3.Make Imoen summon monsters
Enjoy the game Xyarxius(Why did you name yourself that?)

Old 12-25-2000, 10:25 AM   #4
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Well, every battle has his own feeling and tactic, depending on who is your enemy, but here you have some general tips:

- You must have in your party at least 2 tanks (fighters, rangers or paladins) with low Armor Class and high Hit Points. They will take most of the damage so thats important.
- Also you will need a cleric or druid to heal them if they get hurt badly.
- Your weaker characters should stand back with ranged weapons and casting magic (those that are able to do so).

And remember, this tips may not be valid in some battles (for example when you fight creatures that are inmune to missiles youŽll have to develop another tactic). This is the fun of the game, the battles arent always hack and slash.

Old 12-25-2000, 11:28 AM   #5
Holy Mage Wah

MAGIC ADVICE

Be frugal with your magic - in other words you don't know who's around the corner so keep some for later and don't use it all at once.

Have some defensive and offensive magic - not just offensive. (good ones are stoneskin, fireshield, mirror image) (offensive are abi dalzims, chain lightning and magic missile) Of course this entirely up to you and the magic you choose to memorise affects the way you play your game.

Mages are weak in HP - have loads of fighters ('tanks') with low AC as back up. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLAY WITH 6 MAGES in self-created multiplayer. (unless you've had a fair deal of experience)

Melf's Minute Meteors will harm most enemies in the game so keep a couple for those 'my weapon has no effect' enemies.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

Old 12-25-2000, 01:04 PM   #6
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

hm
wasn't I trieng a party with 5 mages and a cleric?
Old 12-25-2000, 01:21 PM   #7
Loonthetic

Use SPACEBAR to pause. Plan your tactics. Time will be your best lession.

Old 12-25-2000, 01:43 PM   #8
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another thing, hard battles can be made easier if you pre-emptively cast magic. For example if you know a group of hard wizzards are a little further down a hallway, cast Fireball at the edge of the screen. The wizzards will not see you, and you will hurt them before they can get their protection spells up.