Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Okay, my next project is going to be a solo cleric/ranger. I am currently in a quandary about which weapon to use. My choices are:
  • Kiel's Morningstar
  • Mace +2
  • Warhammer +2
  • Staff Mace
I'm going to also use a sling, so I want to use a one-handed weapon. I'm leaning towards staff mace after I start with proficiency in War Hammers. What do you guys think? I'm not too used to weapon selections for BG1 yet...

[ 07-27-2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: True_Moose ]
Old 07-28-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

BG1 doesn't have the same weapon proficiencies as BG2 and no 'styles'

in BG 1 for a cleric ranger you'll be able to pick

blunt weapons **
missile weapons **

and that will be it
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

I'm still wondering which of the above weapons would be the most effective. I'm leaning more and more heavily towards the staff spear, but Kiel's Morningstar looks nice too.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Kiel's Morning Star is an utterly useless piece of crap. Hoo boy, it's +3 enchanted, whoop dee doo. That's nothing compared to the fact that it turns your character Berserk while any enemy is in your sight range. This is where you say, "Ah, but I'm Soloing, so I don't need to worry about hurting my party members," and where I reply with, "Attacking your party members is only a side effect of the more serious problem--you can't control your character." Commands such as, "Drink a Healing Potion," "Don't step on that Trap," and "Attack the Mage, not his Summons," are all instructions that are far too complex for your Berserked R/C to understand. You want to wear Kiel's Helmet and be immune to the Berserk effect? Go ahead--if you really want to sacrifice all of the better Helms in the game, that's your affair. But that still won't change the fact that the Morning Star is cursed: Meaning, you can't put it down, or even switch to your other Quick Weapon. Hope you weren't planning on using a Sling or anything......

The Mace+2 and the Staff Mace are decent weapons, but they're really only bench-warmers next to the Warhammer. Combat-wise, all 3 of these weapons are about par (nothing much separating them, except for a small about of Damage and Speed Factor), but the other 2 just don't have Ashideena's lightning hits or kickass golden glow. How is a dorky little Staff Mace supposed to compete with a big, glowing Warhammer?

[ADD:] The Staff Mace is more important for a Cleric/Thief than a Ranger/Cleric, as it's the only enchanted weapon in BG1/ToSC that a C/T can Backstab with. [/ADD]

The Staff Spear is all right (and noteworthy in that it's the only way Clerics can do Piercing damage), but prevents the use of a Shield.

[ 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 07-28-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Okay, thanks. I was unsure, cause Ashideena's base damage (1d4) was quite low. It's damage range is (1d4)+3+1=5-8, whereas Staff Mace is (2d4)+2=4-10. Plus the Staff Mace has the same THAC0 bonus. I'm quite torn, actually.