Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 01:47 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Sounds good to me...keep us posted. It's a long weekend this weekend too, should be a lot happening. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 02:01 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
no nightclubs/nightlife, so far on weekdays it's been near impossible to find a pub open after 2AM, infact the whole affair is totally tits up.
Charlie, if you're looking for all-night pubs/clubs the city isn't the place to go...the only one I can think of that would be open would be Jacksons on George St and it's shithouse. You'd be better off trying the Cross or Oxford Street. Having said that on weekdays it's quite rare to find one that's open later than 3am, unless it's Thursday onwards. Clubs would be open later, unfortunately for some of them you may have to pay cover ($5). If you're looking for a nightclub scene I'd try the following site:

3DWorld Scene Guide

From Thursday onwards you'll start to find all-night and all-day recovery events if that's what you're looking for. DCM, Arq, Tantra, NV, QBar...they're all open till 10am the following day on the weekends and they're all on Oxford St. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-02-2003, 07:40 PM   #13
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
... it's nice and sunny...
Well, it was when I wrote it.

Quick! It's sunny and warm now! Get out there... oh, no.. wait, cold and cloudy again, nevermi..sun! Sun! Go man, go! Er, actually, don't bother it's gone. No it's back - oh...

Memnoch's got the goods though. And I was probably unfair to the Cross - it's crappy but there are some cool places sprinkled around - Peppermint Lounge, Soho, Moulin Rouge (which I tried the for the first time the other night - Have you been there Memnoch? Very cool dance club. There were lots of people in costume - don't know if that's normal or was just that night - a Moulin themed party.)

This weekend you could also try the eastern beaches. Coogee has The Palace and The Coogee Bay Hotel - both seem to get a mix of young travellers and locals.
Bondi Beach can be ok some nights. It'll be busy and again lots of travellers. Both areas can be a bit meat marketish at times though.

Newtown has a mix of grittier pubs - less glam than Oxford st, and great food. If you feel like Thai you can't go wrong down there - there's about 30 Thai restraunts and they're all pretty good.

There's also Norton st in Leichardt - the 'Italian quarter' - which has great food and some decent clubs.

And finally a warning: Due to an archaic law that's bizzarely never been rectified - BOTTLE SHOPS ARE CLOSED THIS MONDAY! (Public holiday)
It'll be very hard to get takeaway after Midnight on Sunday. Pubs are open, but if you need supplies at home, get them in advance.

[ 10-02-2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 10-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh dear! I hope you get some decent weather for a few days, at least, Charlie! Enjoy what views and sights you can, anyway!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #15
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Memnoch's got the goods though. And I was probably unfair to the Cross - it's crappy but there are some cool places sprinkled around - Peppermint Lounge, Soho, Moulin Rouge (which I tried the for the first time the other night - Have you been there Memnoch? Very cool dance club. There were lots of people in costume - don't know if that's normal or was just that night - a Moulin themed party.)
thanks for the tip mate! maybe i will be suggesting that to a bloke of mine who likes to go to pubs.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 PM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

Sorry about the weather Charlie, but you are bloody unlucky. 3 years of drought and the day water restrictions start you arrive and the weather turns wet and windy LOL.

Errrrr I feel it is my civic duty to warn you that Oxford st while the scene of some very good night life does contain a certain sprinkle of shall we say "male dominated" ale houses and caution is required after a few drinks to check that the girl you are talking too is infact all she seems. I'd hate for you to have an *unforgettable experience* [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-03-2003, 05:35 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Errrrr I feel it is my civic duty to warn you that Oxford st while the scene of some very good night life does contain a certain sprinkle of shall we say "male dominated" ale houses and caution is required after a few drinks to check that the girl you are talking too is infact all she seems. I'd hate for you to have an *unforgettable experience* [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Well, seeing as Charlie's from London it shouldn't be anything he hasn't seen before.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #18
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I was in Sydney for the first week of september - early spring - and it was warmer and sunnier than New Yorks early fall. I even got a bit of sunburn!
Just sounds like some bad luck Charlie. Maybe it's the English that attract rain??

**cue "Why does it always rain on me" by Travis**

Maybe it was something you did when you were 17??

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 10-04-2003, 05:32 AM   #19
Charlie
Lord Ao

Aww, you people are truly special. I've not read all these replies but I was getting a lump in my throat from the off.

Truth is I was just badly depressed at time of posting, the following morning was blistering and the whole world looked different. Another truth is the fact that I never ever had the right to complain, I come from a poor background myself and there are tens of thousands of people that would give their hind teeth to be where I am. I know that, I always did, it was just an incredibly bad day for me on that particular day, I just let off steam was all. In all honesty I still struggle to comprehend just how incredibly fortunate I am. I really am having the time of my life and in the few days I've been here I've met so many fantastic people and so many experiences it's untrue.

How's this for an experience all in one day, the second part of this story appeared in the Sidney? Daily? Telegraph (Not familiar, apologies) Today (Saturday) but actually occurred on Thursday night....Anyway, the story starts on wednesday.....

I'm on holiday and I really do love people, just in general, ■■■■ race, colour, gender or any other orientation....... so basically I'll get on with pretty much anyone as a rule.

Wednesday afternoon I'm just out on my own, visiting bars, meeting people, getting drunk and making new friends....as you do. I'm in a pub/club called...(Goddamit, don't you just hate it when that happens, went to write it, only just left the place a few hours hence and the name has gone from my head) I think it's called (ROTFL, man, this could only happen in Australia, I'm in Kings Cross atm in a really seedy cafe run by chinese people with this net cafe in the back, I think this keyboard is some cheap chinese import, no offence intended, but there is stuff missing like an apostrophe key etc, man I love Australia)....I digress....I think it's called harbour on the Rocks or somesuch, split across four or five levels, a nightclub come bars. So, anyway, I meet this bloke, bent as a nine bob note, gay, queer, completely homosexual in any given sense of the word......but who cares? Problem is, after a few hours drinking he decides he wants to get in my knickers. He knows I'm not gay, he's been told a good few times....he won't let up, every opportunity he get's he makes bodily contact...little touch of the hand etc. I'm in his country, I'm friendly, I drink with him we chew the fat etc. We're out all night (with other heterosexuals now) and still he persists in his advances......well a man can only take so much and so he sadly got told in no uncertain terms just how straight I am and just how much he was pissing me off......the polite approch hadn't worked after many repeated attempts.....we parted company.

Hours later I'm at home on my bed, fully clothed, I've sat down and crashed on the bed. I'm awoken in a daze to four pistols pointed at my head and another six armed police surrounding me.....I've no idea if I'm dreaming or if this is real...I lash out and flail, fortunately never got shot. I'm being videode, subdued, I'm MEGA abusive because I'm stunned this is happening. I'm strip searched and allowed to put my trousers on...no shoes, socks or shirt....handcuffed and told that it's believed I'm in possesion of firearms and drugs. I'm led out but the traffic is solid around my apartment...I am led through the street barefoot, barechested and handcuffed in the pissing rain to the police station nearest Sidney harbour.....ony a four or five minute walk but highly undignified. I swear by Almighty God that what I write is true. I'm transferred to Surry Hills police station and then returned to my apartment when the search warrant is obtained. In the meantime about twenty cops have secconded the next door apartment and flooded the street in surveillance. My two best mates have now also been detained and are being heavily questioned as to why we have a very large amount of cash in the house (we're here for a month). Anyway, the place is turned upside down, nothing is found except for a bag of holiday pot that I immediately put my hands up to, it's no big deal in England and it's no big deal in Australia...I'm formerly cautioned, spend a few more hours in the cells and have my passport confiscated.

Tops up that gay boy in his inane jealousy/stupidity has telephoned the police and told them that I'm carrying firearms and drugs and operating on a false passport. My passport was redelivered around four or five hours back, me and the arresting officer shook hands.......gay boy is now wanted by the police, must have cost a fortune, no way I can do the operation justice here in type, I really hope they catch the bitch.

Well, to celebrate my release we go to a bar called Wildfire...end of the night, right in front of us a girl strips off and dives into the harbour and attemts to swim across....pitch black and freezing cold we lose sight of her about half way across. Police etc are called and thank God she's pulled out ok....talk about bloody frightening. The witnesses mentioned in the paper are my companions and I.

How's that for an eventful day....

OK, sorry, I gotta go, I've been here ages now. I'll try and find another cafe nearer my apartment and read what you all had to say in greater detail.

Harkolier, thanks for extending that offer, yes I'd love to hook up. Just post here if you can meet up tomorrow or even tonight. I leave for Melbourne on monday morning but I'll make a point of checking in here when I'm back nearer my apartment this evening.

OK, I really must go now, take care.

[ 10-04-2003, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 10-04-2003, 05:54 AM   #20
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Oh man. Charlie, that sucks but is awesome at the same time! Adventures aplenty man! Good stuff! Live it up and enjoy your newfound freedom!

And hey, if bitch-boy goes to prison he'll probably enjoy some of it, if you get my meaning