Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 12:08 AM   #11
G'kar

Okay, Ive hunted around the net looking for a news article on this, and I'm having no luck? Am I just dumb, ah dont answer that! Anyway I heard this on my local news last night, but their site has no info on this story for some reason. If anyone has any further info on this, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2001, 12:10 AM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

G'Kar, sometimes it takes a couple of days for the Internet news to catch up with the broadcast news, especially on smaller stories. I was having the same problem finding stuff on the "mosque bombings" until about two days after they had occurred.

------------------
Old 09-19-2001, 01:44 AM   #13
G'kar

I got some more facts! The radio network, clear channel radio, has stated that no songs have been banned, but it has released a "suggestion" list of songs.
Some more weird song titles on the list include:
Stairway to heaven- led zeppelin
Imagine- John Lennon !!!!!!!!!!!! This is an ultimate song of peace and unity!
Bridge over troubled water- simon and garfunkle ( or is it paul simon solo?)
Dust in the wind- kansas
Im in the process of searching for an email address for the network, though I have emailed some local stations requesting they "think long and hard what some of these songs really mean" before deciding to remove them from their playlists. Imagine? stairway to heaven? I'm disturbed that some songs that have a very hopeful and inspiring message are included on this list!

Old 09-19-2001, 01:48 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
A group of radio programmers in the us have compiled a list of 150+ songs they deem insensitive due to content. They are banning them from play on their radio stations and suggesting radio stations not play them in light of the recent attacks.
Some of the songs are:
Walk Like An Egytian- The Bangles
EVERY song by Rage Against The Machine (a very political band)
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm (a michael jackson song)
Any song with lyrics that depict Arabs on airplanes
And many others by groups like U2, The Cure,the Clash, Metallica and many more
The corporate offices of the radio network in question doesnt support the ban, but left the programming decisions to the individual radio stations.

Thoughts, comments from anyone. I agree to being sensitive to the pain that these tragedies have caused, but some of the songs on the list are far from insensitive! This alarms me and reeks of an opportunity to censor artists with a non-conservative point of view expressed by their music. In particular Banning every song by Rage, a group who has spoken out against oppression and injustice.
I read about this. Appalling.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:19 AM   #15
Rikard

Amazing how a country that hold freedom of speach so high has somany bannes
As far as i Know everybody has trhe right to be political be it in songs or in interviews or in books or in anything.
I respect RAtM very much and i like there lyrics because they show a really nice world.
Banning songs first then what people say and you slide back to a world where only the goverment has the right to talk

About Right and Left winger

The Republicas are Right Wingers
The Democrats are slightly less Right winged
Labour party is Mid-winged
PvdA (Dutch main Party) is left winged
SDP (Schöders party i germany) is left winged

Fasism is Extreem right wing
Communism is Extreem Left wing
Liberalism is right winged
Social-Democrats is left winged
the last 2 are the main parties in the European Union

------------------

Old 09-19-2001, 04:59 AM   #16
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I only think of a couple of things..
Freedom of speech and freedom of thoughts. Have that occured to them??

Stupid bans IMHO

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-19-2001, 05:18 AM   #17
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

I would never normally say this but,maybe they are tring to be responcable.Some of those songs could invoke a strong responce in some people,and especialy in someone drinking,and upset.I would perfer not playing them for a while to someone giving up on life,or going out as the agressor agianst someone of a certain skintone or nationality because they got hyped up.Dust in the wind if you were allready depressed could be bad.I hate censership don't get me wrong,but maybe right now of all the thousands of songs to be played instead it is not so bad?

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.

..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 05:27 AM   #18
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by sageridder:
I would never normally say this but,maybe they are tring to be responcable.Some of those songs could invoke a strong responce in some people,and especialy in someone drinking,and upset.I would perfer not playing them for a while to someone giving up on life,or going out as the agressor agianst someone of a certain skintone or nationality because they got hyped up.Dust in the wind if you were allready depressed could be bad.I hate censership don't get me wrong,but maybe right now of all the thousands of songs to be played instead it is not so bad?

Well Sagerider, second time we post in link here! Just wanted to say that I feel sorry for you and that they find your friend! I mean that you don´t have to ban, but try to well, trust the radiostations to use some thought on this subject. Banning doesn´t lead to anything good, but the more unapropriate songs should be sparser on radio, however, if you ban it. YOu have no freedom of speach anymore.

For example, U2, the first persons that made both the IRA and Ulster union (OK, anyone who knows this better than me, please make this true with names) shake hands on a U2 concert. A step towards a fragile peace... Sometimes even provocative musicians can make a difference.

So well, my opinion, but I don´t like banning, but I can understand your thoughts well Sagerider!!

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-19-2001, 06:03 AM   #19
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

No no banning,just being responcible,and using good judgement.

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.

..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 06:05 AM   #20
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by sageridder:
No no banning,just being responcible,and using good judgement.

Ha, thats what I wanted to say, but you took my words! We agree on that one!

------------------

Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper