Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

With all of the new movies coming out, based on the comic books I loved as a kid it reminded me of my sons battle with learning to read. The school said it couldn't do anything and blamed learning disabilities as the reason he couldn't read. It is true he has several learning problems but I wouldn't allow that be an excuse to cut my son out of so much the world offers. I started by taking him to the comic book store every week. He was allowed to buy whatever comics he wanted as long as he had read the ones he bought the week before. We kept this up every week from grade 4 through grade 9. When he graduated from high school he was reading at above grade level.
Comic books are the contemporary morality plays. Since the 90's they also seem to serve as sexual fantasy for prepubescent boys as well. It exposes readers to an art form which melds the written word with image. It hones the ability to notice and perceive ideas and emotions that aren't verbally expressed.

They can help you learn to read. They are fun. They can stretch your mind and appreciation for art. Join with me and rejoice in the bright light which comics give. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
TAKE THAT HOOKED ON PHONICS

[ 02-14-2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: antryg ]